Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

I've watched the majority of the darts grand slam on Sky this week while I've been on annual leave. My other half has been working from home this week as her company has been having bits done in their offices and has recently been working to later shifts (has to liaise with yanks a lot on email).

I'm pleased to say that despite her cultured Portuguese roots and her initial incomprehension as to the appeal of such a bizarre sport, by the end of the week she's been actively planning for us to watch it. She's obsessed with the pageantry of it, the wrestling style entrances, the referee calls, why a 170 checkout is called a big fish, the players and why they get their nicknames, etc. She loves it. We saw the nine-darter in the MVG/Josh Rock match and she thought it was magic. She also thinks presenter Emma Paton is 'fit' according to her observation. She's gutted Aspinall chucked it at the end. 

The nicest thing she said though was about how the players embrace after each game. For such a macho sport, the players always give each other a big squeeze and whisper sweet nothings to one another and how harmonious it all seems (I didn't have the heart to show her clips of some of the scraps of yesteryear with the likes of Gerwyn Price and Phil Taylor squaring up to people) in comparison to other sports. 

Not sure if she'd be up for a sesh at Ally Pally just yet but Mrs Facesitter is now a darts convert. Bullseye. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
17 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Not sure if she'd be up for a sesh at Ally Pally just yet but Mrs Facesitter is now a darts convert. Bullseye. 

I’ve convinced my girlfriend to come for the afternoon and evening session at Ally Pally on day 3 of the worlds next month. I think she’s just coming for the drink while I get embraced in it all. I’m hoping she really gets into it. She’s watched bits here and there and come to see me play in the league. And we went to see the seniors which was a bit dull. But I think something major like the worlds and the drama of it all can convince anyone. It’s the best sport in the world. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I'm in the Lake District for the first time. It's pissing down with rain and absolutely gorgeous. We're going to have a massive breakfast at the cafe down the road and walk around the local lake, probably jumping in puddles.

And the motorway wasn't too bad around Birmingham. It's a good weekend!

Posted

I just saw a bus driver letting an old lady off outside her house.  Small acts of generosity like that warm the heart.

  • Paid Members
Posted

A new local shop has opened effectively on my doorstep (well, about 20 doorsteps down and just to the left). Went in for the first time today and the owners are thoroughly good eggs - already trying to do bits and bobs in the community and will be giving stock to the homeless over Christmas and the like. Cheap prices too and tons of things in stock, a win win all round. 

...It's like a Tardis as well. Despite it's seemingly humble exterior, it feels fucking massive. I got lost trying to navigate out of the frozen section. I think I'm going to enjoy frequenting it. 

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Posted

We get a Robin popping into the garden quite regularly. I like to take comfort in the old saying that they are your lost loved ones stopping by to check in on you. 

20221214_093304.thumb.jpg.237c49891fbd819d5df6888a95e23fa7.jpg

 

Pretty certain it's just there for the suet though. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I've you ever seen a robin go ham on other birds because they're in their territory, it's very funny to imagine it's your nan going apeshit. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

There used to be a robin that became infamous in London - he was distinctive for having a wonky beak, and hung out around the Grapes pub beer garden in Chelsea. He was known for being particularly bold, landing on people's tables and nicking their chips.

I don't think the Grapes was a 'spoons though.

Edited by Carbomb
  • Paid Members
Posted
10 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

We had one that flew in through the window and took a shit on my wife's desk as she was in a meeting. Great birds.

I thought the phrase was “laid an egg”?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...