Things that cheer you up

Carbomb

@SuperBacon, @HarmonicGenerator - thank you both for the kind words.

Bacon - if you’ve not got the show already, it’s available for streaming again on the recently launched Paramount+, otherwise I’m sure you’ll be able to pick up on DVD for cheap enough from somewhere

Harm - I still listen to nerdfest too on occasion. Often time you guys cover stuff that I’m not familiar with, be it current or classic content, so a lot of it would be lost on me. I enjoy the show when I do listen though 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

22 minutes ago, RalphyV2 said:

Couple of magpie's drinking and bathing in the big plastic bowl I put water in and seemingly loving it, as a pigeon patiently waited his or her turn next to them to do the same. Cheered me right up to know I helped a few animals be a bit more comfortable 

Don’t forget the other bowl filled with ice so the pigeon can enjoy an ice cool bath. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Just sat working from my desk at home, and this is the scene in my front garden - we often put out seeds and a "bird bath" for the critters (there's even a rat in the front garden - he looks a very healthy nut-brown, and only comes out to grab seeds, some water, and the occasional flower [presumably for bedding or something]).

(Apologies for the filthy windows.)

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

We have a window bird feeder, and I haven't filled it up in a while because every now and then a wood pigeon would try and get at it, not be able to fit, and end up perching on top of it and almost knocking it off the window - and said wood pigeon has spent the last couple of weeks building a nest right in front of the window, in direct view of my place on the sofa.

I've not refilled the feeder because the pigeons can't get at it, and I'm worried that if they kept trying they'd maybe exert too much energy and not get any food for their trouble, which wouldn't be good for them under the circumstances.

Anyway, yesterday I watched as one of them picked up a big piece of eggshell and flew off to dispose of it. Which means we have baby birds right in front of us, though they're still too small to have got a proper look at them. Very keenly keeping my eye out, and getting distracted in every Teams meeting every time I see the slightest bit of movement out of the window

Because my flat is the ground floor one, the garden is pretty much mine. Every night at dusk there are a family of bats that flip flap above and it’s an absolute joy to see them. I did have a trail cam set up to see the hedgehogs and the foxes that visit but it’s knackered now. I miss it. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Because my flat is the ground floor one, the garden is pretty much mine. Every night at dusk there are a family of bats that flip flap above and it’s an absolute joy to see them. I did have a trail cam set up to see the hedgehogs and the foxes that visit but it’s knackered now. I miss it. 

This year we've had a vixen and two cubs who come to feed and play. I'll sit and watch them and it's always such a joy. 

I'm not getting the fence repaired just so they can nip through the hole and play under the rhubarb, which they love for some reason.

Sadly this is the first year we've not had bats, which I take as only a bad sign as they've been coming in summer for 10 years or more 

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

This year we've had a vixen and two cubs who come to feed and play. I'll sit and watch them and it's always such a joy. 

I'm not getting the fence repaired just so they can nip through the hole and play under the rhubarb, which they love for some reason.

We've had a fox den at the very end of our back garden for quite a few years now, and it is a truly joyful thing to see when the mum comes and sits on our lawn in the sun while her kids play. Beautiful creatures. Every so often, we'll see her or another adult fox (fairly sure it's a different one) curled up asleep on the lawn in either our garden or the next-door neighbours'. 

It's nice to know they feel that our gardens are havens for them, because foxes get a pretty rough deal: they're not welcome in the countryside, and city people aren't particularly nice to them either, so I like that we provide some of them with a place where they feel safe and even content.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

It's nice to know they feel that our gardens are havens for them, because foxes get a pretty rough deal: they're not welcome in the countryside, and city people aren't particularly nice to them either, so I like that we provide some of them with a place where they feel safe and even content.

I love it.  This year we had a vixen and two cubs. One stuck right by the mother, the other went mental, jumping through every bush and plant rolling through anything with a scent.

It's great now to watch them come back as more mature animals and still see that split still, one being cautious and one being playful.