Things that cheer you up

Carbomb

• Paid Members

Work has landed me a contact with head of PE at my old secondary school. Delighted to learn from her that my languages teacher is still there, the one I accidentally called "mum" (disclosed). Also, the then-young Science teach who used to drive a vehicle we as children could only describe as a "Lego car" (not disclosed).

It's pretty tough not to throw out gems like "What year did Mr Brookes leave? We used to call him Blockhead" and "All the lads took Geog rather than History in the options because they fancied Lisa Pierce and hoped to be taught by her."

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Lego. Fucking great isn’t it?

My other half has two brothers of 6 and 10 and they are obsessed with it. They started off with the easier entry sets for kids and now they’re building all sorts together. Over Christmas they put together a couple of different car builds and also a massive Ninjago set which was an absolute fucking bastard to pull together with loads of awkward parts. 

Off the back of our exploits with her family, on our first day back in the UK yesterday we went straight out and bought a set each. Mrs Facesitter opted for a scene-based set from when Luke Skywalker goes to train with Yoda in Empire Strikes Back. In turn, I have embraced the Sith side of the force - 

EDAD33B5-32E0-40A9-8B30-362A7D69DB8F.thumb.jpeg.26d9d49f0d8d156cbdaaa784ccea3f57.jpeg

Immediate rookie error - I thought it would be easier to separate the pieces in each pack by colour and go from there - the obvious issue being that most of the pieces are, of course, black. Of the 800 plus pieces, the overwhelming majority quite literally embrace the dark side. 

After botching something within the very first pack, I had to rip it apart and start again, but on attempt two I got through the first two bags without many issues and it’s coming along nicely. I’ll finish it tomorrow and keep it somewhere on display. Maybe next to the tele, or probably on the windowsill next to the bog. 

Apart the annoyance of organising the blocks, treading on them or ballsing up parts of the build - the mental concentration it takes shuts off any other negative distractions in a massively positive way. I‘ve noticed that I spend virtually no time on the phone during Lego sessions either, which is a big positive in terms of reducing screen time and just shutting off the grid for a bit, even if only for two to three hours or so. 

I’ll never be a master builder and I’ve no idea if the sets we’ve helped the boys on or that we’ve started working on ourselves are considered particularly complex. But it’s jolly good fun. 

Expensive mind you - we’re worried that we’re dangerously close to spunking silly money on a Millenium Falcon to build soon if this carries on. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Lego is so therapeutic @Fatty Facesitter. I build something every Christmas. This year a TIE Bomber. Can I recommend ultra cheap Chinese lego from Ali Express? This set cost me £22 and no one can tell the difference. 

received_680745857029545.thumb.jpeg.34f4a3c74982f4e1f1112edd2c2ccdd3.jpeg

How do you search properly on there? I had a quick look but I'm sure there's more than I'm seeing

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

How do you search properly on there? I had a quick look but I'm sure there's more than I'm seeing

Go to joooooy.com you can pay via PayPal and the sets usually get here in less than 2 weeks. I buy myself 2-3 big sets to do during my Christmas break 

16724949889142299846801488506906.jpg

I love lego, its genuinely therapeutic to me. Much like doing a jigsaw I can sit there doing it for a couple of hours and my brain just switches off. My ex got me a set about 10 years ago and I got hooked again and I'm lucky enough that my niece and nephew are obsessed and want a set off me every Christmas and want me to do it with them. 

Edited by chokeout

2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Lego is so therapeutic @Fatty Facesitter. I build something every Christmas. This year a TIE Bomber. Can I recommend ultra cheap Chinese lego from Ali Express? This set cost me £22 and no one can tell the difference. 

received_680745857029545.thumb.jpeg.34f4a3c74982f4e1f1112edd2c2ccdd3.jpeg

I’ve just had a look at the Ali Express site and I’m tempted by a lot of the sets, especially at those prices. Did you have any problems with missing pieces, hard to follow instruction manuals or pieces that didn’t fit together?

• Paid Members

@Dr. Alan Grant  You only really get part substitutes if it's a new part made for a set so it's mainly the minifigures not being perfect. I think in about 15 sets I've had maybe 3 missing parts and maybe 15-20 parts that were changed. If it's a piece you want to display it's still cheaper to just buy the missing parts from bricklink. There are Facebook groups that review the sets in detail which is always great. 

The manuals are almost identical to the lego sets but with more than one stage on a page (usually 3-4). 

I don't really do the technic sets but have heard that some of the more technical sets can have issues, mainly due to some pieces being ever so slightly off and the gears having slightly more / less traction. 

Edited by chokeout

2 hours ago, chokeout said:

Go to joooooy.com you can pay via PayPal and the sets usually get here in less than 2 weeks. I buy myself 2-3 big sets to do during my Christmas break 

16724949889142299846801488506906.jpg

I love lego, its genuinely therapeutic to me. Much like doing a jigsaw I can sit there doing it for a couple of hours and my brain just switches off. My ex got me a set about 10 years ago and I got hooked again and I'm lucky enough that my niece and nephew are obsessed and want a set off me every Christmas and want me to do it with them. 

What is this a set of? I'm sure I know but it's been one of those days.