Things that cheer you up

Carbomb

• Paid Members

Double-post wanker but this is a lovely story - 

Mother Facesitter was out doing her weekly shop recently when a young woman approached her, with her daughter. Her daughter is on the autistic spectrum (it'll make sense why I've mentioned this shortly -)

My ma has been a tad stressed with a few work-related bits and pieces and taking care of some of my old man's paperwork (from when he passed away last year), and there's the cost of living and all the other crap everyone else is currently living with, so she's not doing cartwheels but she doesn't grumble, she just gets on with it and tries to make the best of it all. 

Anyway, the young woman mentioned that her daughter wanted to do a random act of kindness for someone that day to spread a little joy. They'd bought some flowers - the flowers the young woman's daughter had picked out were lovely and just so happened to be mum's favourite which are sunflowers.

She was really taken aback, got chatting to them both, the little girl was as sweet as anything and the young woman was apparently a kind soul. Mother Facesitter mentioned that her son was also on the spectrum (hi!). They got chatting a bit but in all the commotion, she completely forgot to ask for their names and they were gone before she could track them down. 

She put an advert in the local rag thanking them and saying how sorry she was she didn't ask for their names, but if anyone knew them to thank them and say what a wonderful gesture it was and how emotional she was about it, how sweet they were, especially the little girl. 

Soon I had a message from an old colleague in my previous job who saw the article, and asked if that was my mum that sent in the note. As it turns out, the young woman is actually her sister and thus the little girl is her niece. I was able to put her sister and my mum in touch and they've since met up for a coffee and it turns out they both have loads in common in terms of what they do working in schools, hobbies, etc. Also my mum has given her a load of resources from my youth which might help the little girl in her development as she gets older, and it's given the young woman lots of optimism about her future. 

How cool is that? And what a superstar that young padawan is. The world is a bloody awful place sometimes, but people like that restore your faith in humanity massively. Also, autism is boss. 

• Paid Members

I struggle to sometimes say 'that went well' without equivocating. But I set up and ran a small arts festival in my local area last weekend (Wood Green/Turnpike Lane in North London), and it went really well. Zero budget (except for a couple of hundred quid I spent on webhosting costs, posters and flyers and some prizes for a competition), and with an ethos of 'getting venues to think of themselves as venues', it went well for the venues and performers, with the two main ones having their busiest evenings in a couple of years. Even better, most of the audiences were totally different from each other, so there's the potential to get people to do even more stuff. We're talking dozens rather than hundreds of people, but live events haven't been that much of a thing at either venue either.

We did spoken word, comedy, live music, film screenings, a mini art gallery, a sinister cabaret and a bunch of other stuff. Any money went to venues and performers.

The best bit about this is that it shows there's a demand for it, and it can be replicable. So the next steps are to register as an organisation and then apply for some funding for next year. 

I've been thinking a lot about local arts and community stuff, and how important I find it all. While it's not the answer to the defunding of arts education, it's something. Something we can do to encourage and platform people. Lots of work to do, but as a proof of concept went, it was really positive, and it's making me think of more possibilities.

FbrMaH3WQAAWyi8.thumb.jpg.a48a36f94be9aa73ff0d83391f47dc9b.jpg

Fb1LZBEXwAIeeov.thumb.jpg.64cae5f3e99d2fd445cb504af1489f40.jpg

Fbuty51XgAgpexy.thumb.jpg.dc372435a8c560b599ebc4b4113f4528.jpg

On 9/4/2022 at 1:09 PM, Carbomb said:

I just came to the realisation that, as of a few days ago, I've been keeping a journal for two years now.

So, for me, this is a big deal. I never thought it would ever be possible for my ADHD-riddled mind to ever let me do something as simple yet disciplined as keep a journal ever, and to know I've kept one for two years, cheers me up massively. 

Thanks for posting! I may have to try that. I have ADHD and although I can just about function at work (everything i have to focus on is draining and I rely on lists, endless lists and notes which I then lose anyway!) at home I am a bit of a mess! 

• Paid Members
On 9/10/2022 at 10:53 AM, Michael_3165 said:

Thanks for posting! I may have to try that. I have ADHD and although I can just about function at work (everything i have to focus on is draining and I rely on lists, endless lists and notes which I then lose anyway!) at home I am a bit of a mess! 

No worries - I should emphasise a couple of things:

1. What drew me to journalling and kept me there was learning to enjoy the sensory aspects and the simple ritual of sitting down to write, pen (or pencil if you prefer) to paper. It's a basic, but ultimately rewarding, routine to have if you can develop that enthusiasm for it, because it helps focus your attention on the act of it, and, by extension, on the content too.

2. It's not a magic bullet; nothing ever is. For me, journalling and meditation are what got me started on dealing with my particular issues, but no situation ever has one answer - it usually takes a range of solutions (in my case, this also includes counselling, amongst other things).

Best of luck; I hope it works for you.

• Paid Members

@Chris B that sounds amazing, well done!! I've not been in that area much at all in recent years, but I grew up in Haringey and went to school in Wood Green, so have spent a few minutes trying to figure out where those venues are. I'm guessing the one with the bus is around the back of Station Road somewhere near the bus station/where the Jolly Anglers is/was?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, mim731 said:

@Chris B that sounds amazing, well done!! I've not been in that area much at all in recent years, but I grew up in Haringey and went to school in Wood Green, so have spent a few minutes trying to figure out where those venues are. I'm guessing the one with the bus is around the back of Station Road somewhere near the bus station/where the Jolly Anglers is/was?

That's correct - one of the venues, the Blue House Yard. 

The other main venue was the All Good Bookshop on Turnpike Lane.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

That's correct - one of the venues, the Blue House Yard. 

The other main venue was the All Good Bookshop on Turnpike Lane.

Ah cool, thanks @Carbomb the area has changed quite a bit by the looks of it in recent years, but nice to see it's still got a strong community ethos going on. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Ah cool, thanks @Carbomb the area has changed quite a bit by the looks of it in recent years, but nice to see it's still got a strong community ethos going on. 

The bookshop is one of the things I'm proudest of in my life - myself, my dad and Chris B formed the core of the group of people that set up the bookshop & events space as a community co-operative. We've got a stakeholdership of over 200 people now, and we'll hopefully get more as more and more people hear about us.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

The bookshop is one of the things I'm proudest of in my life - myself, my dad and Chris B formed the core of the group of people that set up the bookshop & events space as a community co-operative. We've got a stakeholdership of over 200 people now, and we'll hopefully get more as more and more people hear about us.

That's awesome! In itself a perfect bit of information in a thread about things that cheer you up. Good on you guys, and I'm glad it's continuing to grow. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

If It’s in Haringay, disappointed it’s not called the Mr Trebus Memorial Bookshop. Especially if it’s rammed shelf to shelf, floor to ceiling. 

He was in Crouch End, though - they have plenty of bookshops, those hipster celeb poshos, including a vintage bookshop. This is further east, bruv.

Edited by Carbomb

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
1 minute ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I put a record player in the living room and gave the kids a box of 45s they can play. It's been a great success, with much music and dancing in the house. My son keeps playing this on repeat:

😍😍. Attaboy.

Lovely!

On a similar-ish sort of note, I've been compiling a list of films that I've been wanting to show my 15yo. Stuff that I liked when I was a kid, stuff that I liked when I got older and general other bits and pieces that I think they'd be interested in. It's been really successful so far and after we finished The Martian they said it was now their favourite film.

Anyway, among the ones we've also watched so far include Predator and the first two Terminator films, and they really loved them. We watched them a couple of months ago. Last weekend they were getting ready for a cosplay convention and we were in the kitchen sorting out their bag when they casually turned to me and said, "I left something in my bedroom.... I'll be back."

Proudest moment of being a parent yet. I hope @John Matrix gets to experience this one day.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Amazing! Such a great feeling sharing something with them that you love and then loving it to.

Not sure why it randomly popped into my head yesterday at dinner time, but I thought to myself I can't wait to watch Home Alone for the first time with my daughter this Christmas.

Might be worth keeping an eye on the cinema schedules for a showing or two, something might pop up especially in your neck of the woods.