Things that cheer you up

Carbomb

Excellent stuff @Devon Malcolm @Chest Rockwell

It's awesome when you can impart wisdom on them like this. 

Similarly, my youngest told me that when they were talking about Romans and the 'invention' of roads, the teacher mentioned that before that they hadn't really needed them, so in her best Doc Brown voice she exclaimed "Roads...maybe they didn't need...roads" which nearly made me weep when she told me. 

My eldest has really got in to music (and films tbh) recently and I made her a playlist and I love it when she tells me that she, for example, loves The Smiths. 

"Just don't Google what the singer has been saying recently"

It's all great isn't it?

• Paid Members

First and foremost: autumn is here. I go a bit mental for this time of year.

Secondly, went for a walk in Finsbury Park after work, and saw this from the top of the hill. Just gorgeous.

IMG20220928173820.jpg

Apologies for sounding like a service station romantic fanny, I was in Stretford Mall where they have a Pound Bakery that I may have mentioned. Anyway, they also have a piano there and so many families walked past it and the young children all wanted to play it. Most of them didn’t speak in English but their smiles as they walked away were all the same language. Maybe today, a future musician took their first steps. 

• Paid Members
On 9/23/2022 at 7:58 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

Anyway, among the ones we've also watched so far include Predator and the first two Terminator films, and they really loved them. We watched them a couple of months ago.

We had our 11 year old neice over a while back and watched T1 and T2 and she loved them as well. We deemed Predator a little too much for her age though.

We got a text a week or two later from her Mam saying “Why is neice saying she’s staying at yours tonight and watching Terminator 3?”

We didn’t have the heart to invite her over for that.

• Paid Members
On 9/28/2022 at 6:04 PM, Carbomb said:

First and foremost: autumn is here. I go a bit mental for this time of year.

The Virginia creeper we've cultivated on our house always looks spectacular in autumn.

IMG20221007101235.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Recently, I've been watching a lot of artist channels - there's something very soothing and uplifting about watching someone good at painting going through the process (I'd even say it feels like a philosophical revelation that, when you're watching the early stages, not understanding what the hell is going on, then realising as it takes shape towards the end, there's a lot of value to "trusting the process"), and creating something beautiful.

I'm not big on watercolours, but this guy is such a master, it's fascinating to see him challenging himself in his older years, and not only producing something evocative, but also showing how he works, with all the little tips and tricks, in only ten minutes. Not that I'm likely to take advantage of the advice - doing visual arts would be taking on yet another thing to do when I'm already having trouble juggling all my interests - but it's always a treat to see people who are good at what they do doing what they do.

Also, this guy, James Gurney, produces lovely little pictures of everyday scenes, usually in gouache (which I enjoy more as a medium):

Edited by Carbomb

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
8 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Halloween is something I’ve never been into, but I started to embrace it a few years back and found out that I really enjoyed pumpkin carving. I would say it’s added to my overall cheeriness having accepted summer is over and the nights are drawing in.

I’ve just finished this years effort, just coming off the back of another run through of Breaking Bad. And yea, it is sitting on my toilet.

7631DDB6-0764-4AF4-BBB2-E71424B54969.jpeg

Is this free hand? Or did you trace from a template? Very impressive either way!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So, courtesy of an ancestry website, today I found out what my great grandfather (my mother's father's father) looked like.

williamjosephdoyle.thumb.jpg.be856225a2e7cf6628daa5de17cd2132.jpg

Naturally I get curious about what S.Y. stands for, and I manage to correctly guess that it's Steam Yacht.

About an hour later, dinner's cooking, and I grab a book from the pile to rifle through and kill ten minutes, and I grab this one, 'cos I like old piers and stuff.

blackpoolbook.thumb.jpg.7111ad500b3d4a6e60adb1cd5a35d8fb.jpg

I'm flipping through, and by baffling coincidence, there's the S.Y. Viking!

blackpoolviking.thumb.jpg.f986597a5109f8f5a9118ee31e5774d2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Had to stop today to let a huge flock of geese and ducks cross the road. Usually I hate getting caught in any form of London traffic on the rare occasions that that's a problem (i.e every minute of every hour of every day). This was a lovely surprise though. One crossed, and others followed and then some ducklings followed along. Loads of them. In probably the first moment in the recorded history of London, the driver on the opposite side of the road and I exchanged friendly smiles as they completed their huge voyage to the other side. In conclusion - 

- Wildlife and parks are very nice.
- Not every part of London is a ********.
- Not everyone is London is a massive ****.

...Except for the pigeon that tagged along with them. Lazy, disease-ridden ****. Could have flown.