Things that cheer you up

Carbomb

A couple of months ago at Staines station, I saw the infamous Dick Mabbutt (also saw the Queens train roll through , before she died obviously, and that was actually quite a moment. Beautiful train)

Anyway, remembering the Francois Bourgeois video and failing to get my phone out in time to take a pic, I settled for saying "Ooooh the Dick Mabbutt" to myself, but had earphones in, so must've said it fairly loud to myself as the man standing next to me stared at me for a good 10 seconds, shook his head and walked off to the other end of the platform. 

Ooooh the Dick Mabbutt. Ffs. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'm not a fan of London as it's too big and busy, but I love riding the underground. I should try and get down there for a few days again so I can just have a mission around on them. Down to Wimbledon for the trams, a ride on the Elizabeth line. I want to ride the Waterloo & City as well, but I know it's only usually at peak times so it may be a little busy. I've got a friend who works as a guard for TPX, and I keep asking whether I can ride along with him one day. I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. 

I love trams - not an enthusiast, but I have lots of lovely childhood memories from Blackpool, plus I've always been oddly psyched by the idea of being on a train that can go on the same roads as cars; can't pinpoint why.

It does sadden me that London's traffic is now far too high-density for trams, so we'll never really get them again except in the further outskirts. Have only been on the south London/Croydon ones a couple of times, as is it's on the diametrically-opposite side of London to mine. Would [keegan]LOVE IT[/keegan] if they did build a tram network in north London, but it's too hilly an area as well.

40 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I settled for saying "Ooooh the Dick Mabbutt" to myself, but had earphones in, so must've said it fairly loud to myself as the man standing next to me stared at me for a good 10 seconds, shook his head and walked off to the other end of the platform. 

Ooooh the Dick Mabbutt. Ffs. 

Don't worry, he probably just heard "ooooh, dick ma butt."

Edited by Uncle Zeb

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I love trams - not an enthusiast, but I have lots of lovely childhood memories from Blackpool, plus I've always been oddly psyched by the idea of being on a train that can go on the same roads as cars; can't pinpoint why.

It does sadden me that London's traffic is now far too high-density for trams, so we'll never really get them again except in the further outskirts. Have only been on the south London/Croydon ones a couple of times, as is it's on the diametrically-opposite side of London to mine. Would [keegan]LOVE IT[/keegan] if they did build a tram network in north London, but it's too hilly an area as well.

LOVE the Blackpool trams, especially the heritage ones. I also have a LOT of fond memories of them. I went to the centenary celebrations in 1985. I think my mum is going to pack me off to Tram Sunday in Fleetwood in July. I have a brilliant book from the centenary about the trams in Blackpool. Metrolink is great. I had a week in Basel, Switzerland, back in 2007 and pretty much spent the whole week just riding the trams with my headphones on. Trams are awesome. I've been on the ones in Sheffield as well, but didn't get to ride the ones when I went to Edinburgh. Maybe that's something for another time. I've worked out a way I can get there just by bus as well, but it'd take a fair bit of planning, and maybe a day or two each way, depending on what the bus timetables look like. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

LOVE the Blackpool trams, especially the heritage ones. I also have a LOT of fond memories of them. I went to the centenary celebrations in 1985. I think my mum is going to pack me off to Tram Sunday in Fleetwood in July. I have a brilliant book from the centenary about the trams in Blackpool. Metrolink is great. I had a week in Basel, Switzerland, back in 2007 and pretty much spent the whole week just riding the trams with my headphones on. Trams are awesome. I've been on the ones in Sheffield as well, but didn't get to ride the ones when I went to Edinburgh. Maybe that's something for another time. I've worked out a way I can get there just by bus as well, but it'd take a fair bit of planning, and maybe a day or two each way, depending on what the bus timetables look like. 

I think @Chris B saw some of the old London trams at the London Transport Bus Depot (I think it's in Acton? Not sure), and they were beautiful old things, so much character.

It seems to me the only way London could ever have trams would be if they were small ones, like the San Francisco ones, but I would venture to guess that those are sort of protected by heritage laws or something, because modern health & safety regs probably wouldn't allow them to even be built now, let alone used.

• Paid Members

I remember going to the transport museum there about 30 years ago and it was a great day out. I need to try and get over to the railway museum at York, and down to Crich Tramway Village. 

• Paid Members
On 1/16/2023 at 3:53 PM, Carbomb said:

It does sadden me that London's traffic is now far too high-density for trams

You've already got the underground and bendy busses and you want trams as well, you greedy basket. 

• Paid Members
On 1/16/2023 at 5:25 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

. I need to try and get over to the railway museum at York, 

Not sure if they still do (a quick Google suggests yes) but York used to run a weekend model rail show at the racecourse around Easter so you can do a weekend double dip of the show and the museum. 

Edit: I tried to edit that into 1 post but couldn't work it out, sorry lads. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

You've already got the underground and bendy busses and you want trams as well, you greedy basket. 

I am from London, after all.

Although we haven't had bendy buses since the mid-2000s, and they were shite anyway.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Except when they're screeching like banshees, tipping bins out and shitting all over the place.

Foxes, that is. To my knowledge bendy buses don't do those things.

A lot of the passengers did

1 minute ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Except when they're screeching like banshees, tipping bins out and shitting all over the place.

Foxes, that is. To my knowledge bendy buses don't do those things.

The other night I heard some insane screaming and thought someone was being murdered. I had a quick look out of the window and looked up and down the street, before noticing the screeching fox just at the end of my path. There used to be a whole family of them lived in the field at the back of the house, I remember looking out one day and seeing a couple of tiny flashes of ginger following behind their parents.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Tamura said:

The other night I heard some insane screaming and thought someone was being murdered. I had a quick look out of the window and looked up and down the street, before noticing the screeching fox just at the end of my path. There used to be a whole family of them lived in the field at the back of the house, I remember looking out one day and seeing a couple of tiny flashes of ginger following behind their parents.

It'll most likely be the vixen screeching, they have quite the noise on them when they are looking for a mate or calling the pack to food.