Things that cheer you up

Carbomb

• Awards Moderator

For something infrequent and more special, I rely on the Star Tours ride at Disneyland Paris. It's usually been a gap of several years between trips but it always puts me in a happy mood for a day or more.

For something a bit more accessible that's guaranteed to cheer me up, that video on Twitter of when Sweep meets his family.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Carbomb said:

My maternal grandad, whom I never got to meet as he died a few years before I was born, used to play an unusual instrument: around that part of Yorkshire (at the very least), they were known as "the knackers". From what I understand, others call them "the Irish bones" or simply "the bones". Essentially, pairs of sheep's ribs that had been kept from the knacker's yard, which you played by putting them between your fingers and clacking them.

That's brilliant - my grandad used to play them, or at least have some, as well as playing the spoons. All of my grandparents have been gone a long while now, but anything that reminds me of him tends to make me smile. It's one of the reasons I love going up north to visit my parents now - since they've moved back up there, their house has just become an accumulation of stuff that used to be in all of our old family homes, my grandparents' places, and other assorted tat. So there's all these little objects and bits of furniture that feel a bit like touching bits of your own history that you thought were gone. Lovely.

1 hour ago, waters44 said:

Easy one for me - I load up YouTube and click on one of my most watched clips which starts….

”Following advice from Chris Rea, I always crack an egg into my bath”

Absolutely this. Can't imagine how many times I've watched it.

My brother and I had a long running Facebook chat about it, where he would watch it practically every day and then report on what part of he found funniest that day, and it was never the same thing. It was like an ongoing quest to find the heart of that story, and what made it so great. Part of it is that Bob is really the only person on WILTY aside from the team captains (and probably more than them, really) where their stories feel cumulative - it's funny because it's such an insane anecdote, but the culmination of everything Bob's told them in previous appearances makes it madly plausible. But eventually we settled on the actual heart of what elevates it beyond Bob's usual stuff being David Mitchell, about halfway through, pointing out that the story involved Chris Rea having already run him a bath. Delightful.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, waters44 said:

Easy one for me - I load up YouTube and click on one of my most watched clips which starts….

”Following advice from Chris Rea, I always crack an egg into my bath”

The best WILTY story ever. Followed by everything else by Bob Mortimer, and Kevin Bridges buying a horse.

My youngest playing their ukulele and drums and flicking their fringe whilst playing like the little emo they are turning into.

My eldests creative writing. Everyone thinks their child is the brightest but I genuinely believe she might have unlocked new levels :)

Sharing films, music etc with my children and seeing them react to them like I did when I was their age. One of the best things about being a parent for me. 

Seeing their personalities evolve and develop and seeing them start to question and engage with subjects. Its brilliant to see their thinking happen in real time. 

Father Ted.

When I'm underneath the duvet having a shit day and the cat crawls underneath and snuggles up.

A crisp, misty morning down by the river where I live with a coffee,  a cigarette and something noisy on the earphones. Lovely stuff.

• Paid Members

Another sappy one, but my wife and my son are guaranteed pick-me-ups.

A more short-term positive is still being able to WFH until the end of March. Being able to play some guitar, read a book, watch some TV, have a blast on the Vita/DS, pop downstairs to see the family and browse freely on the internet all whilst on the clock (as well as all the time saved with travel) has been incredible. God knows how I'll cope in April when I'm back to nodding off at my desk and making idle chit-chat in the office kitchen. 

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

My current one is playing Fortnite with the wife. She got into it at the insistence of our 11 year old about 8 months back and now we are hooked and play most nights. Shes actually got pretty good too, but refuses to wear glasses so ends up not spotting obvious enemies and getting us killed.

But I get to play my xbox with her and its awesome.

Bob Mortimer in general tbh.

Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing is one of the greatest things on TV and Athletico Mince is one of the best podcasts. I can't believe teenage me thought Vic was the funniest and brains of the duo. It was always Bob wasen't it ? 

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

1 hour ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Bob Mortimer in general tbh.

Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing is one of the greatest things on TV and Athletico Mince is one of the best podcasts. I can't believe teenage me thought Vic was the funniest and brains of the duo. It was always Bob wasen't it ? 

I don’t think so. Bob Mortimer definitely wouldn’t think so, which I why he’s so bloody wonderful. If ever there was a double act that each member was greater than the sum of its own part when with the other it’s those two. I just think Bob Mortimer comedian is more an extension of Bob Mortimer the person than Vic Reeves is an extension of Jim Moir so on solo appearances Bob works a bit better.

Watching star wars with wideload jr. Watching him get excited about characters I've loved for years and asking infinite questions about everything from lightsaber colours to the names of planets... Modern Star Wars may suck balls but it's still worth it for those moments. After a shit day at work, watching the book of mandalorian (lolol) with the boy makes everything better.

Rewatching classic Simpsons. Never gets old.

Someone spontaneously buying you a chocolate bar. 

• Paid Members
On 1/29/2022 at 7:08 AM, Mr_Danger said:

I don’t think so. Bob Mortimer definitely wouldn’t think so, which I why he’s so bloody wonderful. If ever there was a double act that each member was greater than the sum of its own part when with the other it’s those two. I just think Bob Mortimer comedian is more an extension of Bob Mortimer the person than Vic Reeves is an extension of Jim Moir so on solo appearances Bob works a bit better.

yeah, what really comes through in Bob's book is that he still thinks Vic Reeves is the funniest guy in the world and is absolutely in awe of his talent.

I think there's a combination of Vic being the more outwardly "absurd" of the two initially - not that either was ever really the straight man, but Vic was the more flamboyant - and more recently Bob coming into his own as a comedian and Vic trying to put more distance between Vic Reeves and Jim Moir. I think Vic brings a lot of the high concept stuff and surrealism, and without him it never would have worked, but Bob Mortimer can capture the exact right balance of the incredibly mundane and specific with flights of fancy - that's the key to all the best stuff in Athletico Mince - and has this Terry Jones-like quality of clearly just taking immense pleasure from the joy of just being very, very silly. That's part of the appeal of Gone Fishing, how much fun Bob has is just completely infectious, and there's an almost childlike glee behind everything.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

yeah, what really comes through in Bob's book is that he still thinks Vic Reeves is the funniest guy in the world and is absolutely in awe of his talent.

I think there's a combination of Vic being the more outwardly "absurd" of the two initially - not that either was ever really the straight man, but Vic was the more flamboyant - and more recently Bob coming into his own as a comedian and Vic trying to put more distance between Vic Reeves and Jim Moir. I think Vic brings a lot of the high concept stuff and surrealism, and without him it never would have worked, but Bob Mortimer can capture the exact right balance of the incredibly mundane and specific with flights of fancy - that's the key to all the best stuff in Athletico Mince - and has this Terry Jones-like quality of clearly just taking immense pleasure from the joy of just being very, very silly. That's part of the appeal of Gone Fishing, how much fun Bob has is just completely infectious, and there's an almost childlike glee behind everything.

Reading his book it was lovely to see how much respect he has for Vic and how he thought he was lucky to be a small part of what Vic did. It was also sad how little confidence he had had in himself and I think that's part of his charm now. He doesn't come across as someone trying to be funny, he is just a naturally funny man. Him making a room full of comedians corpse as he explains how he suffers from an unusually high anus is still a Taskmaster classic. 

• Paid Members

I watched the first two series of Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing recently, and I absolutely love it. Was never massively into fishing, but it's such an uplifting and scenic bit of telly, not to mention outright silly when those two play up, that I can't help but be cheered up by it. Did a great job after I saw some Tory cunt MP on some politics programme spouting bullshit - a quick dose of Gone Fishing and I stopped grinding my teeth and started smiling.

The chemistry between Bob and Paul makes me wonder what a podcast between them might have been like - I love Athletico Mince, and Andy Dawson is OK as a foil for Bob while having the odd moment of being funny himself (though his less funny moments are shite), but a veteran comic like Whitehouse teamed up with Mortimer, even with their sheer difference in style, might have made for an ideal pairing.

• Paid Members

Gone Fishing is a show that by all logic shouldn't exist but I'm glad it does. Imagine agreeing to fund a show with 2 men who haven't had a ratings hit for 20 years, both unproven in un-scripted tv, sitting by a river chatting and despite everything its just wonderful television. It's one of those shows that sits outside of interference and manages genuine warmth and emotion (Paul scattering his dads ashes, Bob going back to his old family home and talking about when he was told his dad died)

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, chokeout said:

Gone Fishing is a show that by all logic shouldn't exist but I'm glad it does. Imagine agreeing to fund a show with 2 men who haven't had a ratings hit for 20 years, both unproven in un-scripted tv, sitting by a river chatting and despite everything its just wonderful television. It's one of those shows that sits outside of interference and manages genuine warmth and emotion (Paul scattering his dads ashes, Bob going back to his old family home and talking about when he was told his dad died)

How scripted is WILTY? That would most definitely be the way Bob's kept himself relevant to modern TV, at least. I don't know how much of him going surreal is planned or ad-lib. Whitehouse is the interesting one, because, whilst he hasn't done loads in recent years, he's got some of the best-remembered characters spanning a long career - it'd be intriguing to know just how well they've endured. Last thing I remembered him doing was those insurance ads.