Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

Yeah lovely that is. Sorry for your loss, it was obvious from your posts on here over the years that you were as close as it gets. That’s a beautiful tribute though. 

  • Moderators
Posted

Lovely post Frankie, so sorry for your loss. I thought of you just yesterday as it happens, when I posted that thing about Samuel Pepys shitting in the chimney as I though "guess they didn't have quality street tins back then"...

  • Awards Moderator
Posted

Nice one for the comments, very much appreciate them. I frustratingly lost access to here a few months ago and would have benefited from writing about Dad with an element of anonymity, but a few of you from here were great support via other channels and I also really do appreciate that.

Dad never knew about the Quality Street tin, thankfully, otherwise he’d have already haunted me dressed as a Toffee Penny.

Oh and we got him a stone at Everton’s new ground as well, which he would love.

IMG_0281.thumb.jpeg.df587b72112fbec9b48fa97f6b7721a3.jpeg

  • Paid Members
Posted
On 10/11/2025 at 7:03 AM, CTXRussomark said:

That's genuinely one of the best posts I've ever read on here Frankie. Beautifully written and an amazing tribute to your old man.

My thoughts exactly. It made me tear up. Absolutely beautiful. I’m so sorry for your loss, @Frankie Crisp. That post was incredibly touching.

  • Paid Members
Posted

that's wonderful, Frankie, and I'm sorry for your loss.

I've lost a few mates over the last few years, one in an accident alongside his young son that meant it got a lot of coverage in local news and made reminders of it really difficult to avoid. I was at Jersey Zoo a few months back, and there's a little plaque to him and his kid, and it's surprising how much peace and happiness it brought me to just be able to sit and take that in, that enough people cared to make that happen. Another old mate, who I've spoken about on here before, died a few years ago now - both of these blokes were older than me, and looked out for me at times in my life when I could have gone completely off the rails, saw something in me that I didn't see in myself, and this guy was a big drinker in Soho, full of stories from the glory days of debauchery there and drinking with the great and the good. When I started coming to London for gigs and shows, I'd always try and meet up with him for a pint, and I really came to appreciate how he never treated me as a tourist in his world, or tried to show any of it off to me, I was just a part of it and welcome from the first time. There's a photo of him behind the bar now in the French House, the pub we most often drank in, and while I'm hardly ever out drinking round there any more, there have been a few times when I've been wandering around at a loose end and felt like I just needed a bit of guidance or solace or whatever it might be, and found a kind of peace in just being able to sit there by his photo. He died before I was able to move to London myself, or before I was able to really start to make something of myself at all, and his picture still being there feels like a connection, a way I can let him know that it all turned out alright in the end.

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Goosebumps. Immense read that. 

I think you're a bit big for them now, but fair play if they still cheer you up. Which one's your favourite? I always loved Night of the Living Dummy.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...