Paid Members BomberPat Posted January 9 Paid Members Posted January 9 It takes them a while to get used to the window feeders, but they will keep coming back regularly enough now! Watch out for when the sparrows find it - you go from the odd blue tit flitting back and forth to sparrows coming in mob-handed and emptying the whole thing in a single feeding frenzy. Quote
davertfnewman Posted January 13 Posted January 13 I've just been watching a programme the excellent BBC Archive put up yesterday about a woman called Elisabeth Svendsen. She and her husband started a business that did extremely well that they sold and eventually opened up a donkey sanctuary. Lovely woman who was a fantastic campaigner for animal welfare and care. Quote
Paid Members Monkee Posted January 13 Paid Members Posted January 13 On 1/9/2026 at 10:42 AM, Statto said: It's taken over a year, but birds have finally found the window feeder we put up. I got obsessed with bird feeders in lockdown and I love watching all the different ones I’m lucky to get in my garden. I just bought a new window feeder as a squirrel figured out how to climb up the patio doors to get to the old one and brought it crashing down. My birds tend to be really fussy and won’t eat the mixed seeds though. I tried lots of different seed mixes over the years but the only thing they continuously come back for are black sunflower seeds and peanuts. I do also put out fat balls and suet cakes. It was hit and miss for ages. I’m glad they finally found your feeder though. What are you seeing so far? Quote
Paid Members Statto Posted January 14 Paid Members Posted January 14 Thus far, exclusively bluetits - presumably the same group of repeat customers. At least it's something though! Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted January 14 Paid Members Posted January 14 when I had a window feeder in SE London, blue tits and great tits were the majority of visitors, and always the first to come check it out. Then we'd get the occasional robin, and for a couple of summers a lot of goldfinches, which are one of my favourite birds, so that brought a lot of joy. And then the sparrows coming mob-handed, as mentions. I stopped refilling ours for a long time, though, as wood pigeons nested in the tree right by that window, and the adults would try and get on the feeder; they were too big for it, so not only were they risking knocking it off the window entirely, but I was worried that they were exerting too much energy trying to get at it when they needed to be getting food for the babies. I haven't touched the garden at the new place yet, though the intention is to set up a bird bath and feeders. We get spillover from next door, so have seen plenty of blue tits, robins, and the odd parakeet, and the other day a heron flying overhead. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted January 14 Paid Members Posted January 14 Managed to join a motorway yesterday about 15 seconds ahead of the police escorting a really wide load from Immingham or Grimsby doing about 30mph. I genuinely celebrated like we'd gone 2-0 up in the FA Cup Final again. Almost. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted January 14 Paid Members Posted January 14 The smile on my 2-year-old’s face when I come home from an office day at work lifts my spirits every time. I can have had the shittest day possible, and this will always turn things around. I’m sure one day in the future, she’ll be pretty apathetic about this, but for the time being it’s my favourite thing in the world. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted January 14 Paid Members Posted January 14 (edited) 7 minutes ago, RedTwoster said: The smile on my 2-year-old’s face when I come home from an office day at work lifts my spirits every time. I can have had the shittest day possible, and this will always turn things around. I’m sure one day in the future, she’ll be pretty apathetic about this, but for the time being it’s my favourite thing in the world. My younger daughter is nearly 12 but she still changes the mood (for the better) any time she's in a room. The elder one turned 21 yesterday. She's a fucking knobhead. I dunno when that happened, she used to be an angel. Absolutely savour it as long as it lasts! Edited January 14 by tiger_rick Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted January 14 Members Posted January 14 1 hour ago, tiger_rick said: Managed to join a motorway yesterday about 15 seconds ahead of the police escorting a really wide load from Immingham or Grimsby doing about 30mph. I genuinely celebrated like we'd gone 2-0 up in the FA Cup Final again. Almost. I did this recently with a funeral procession, not intentionally, although thinking about it maybe I did. As I was coming off a roundabout, joining from the left was the pallbearer and hearse so I just pipped them, slightly speeding up as I noticed them and exiting. Honked the MOTD theme on the horn all the way home as I looked in my rear view. Joking. Quote
Handsome Tex Hardcastle Posted January 14 Posted January 14 My young Grandaughter has asked if we can go on a Jet 2 holiday because "nothing will get in our way". She interprets things very literally, and as far as shes concerned Jet 2 holidays are undefeated, ploughing through potential hazards like "Thunderstorms and bad guys" with ease. Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted January 14 Paid Members Posted January 14 7 hours ago, RedTwoster said: The smile on my 2-year-old’s face when I come home from an office day at work lifts my spirits every time. I can have had the shittest day possible, and this will always turn things around. I’m sure one day in the future, she’ll be pretty apathetic about this, but for the time being it’s my favourite thing in the world. Same. Nothing beats it. My boy is 7 and he’s already too cool for his parents most of the time and a proper little bloke but he lifts my mood no matter how crap a day I’ve had. He’s got a way of just making people smile or laugh wherever he goes. My daughter is 12 now but I don’t think there’s been a single day she hasn’t greeted me with a massive bear hug as soon as I come home from work or if we haven’t seen each other for more than half a day or something. I hope she never grows out of it. I’m lucky that I get to finish work at 2pm fairly often these days so on those days I can pick them up from school. They never know which days I’ll be picking them up so their reactions when they see me waiting is genuinely the highlight of my week. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted January 15 Paid Members Posted January 15 17 hours ago, Handsome Tex Hardcastle said: My young Grandaughter has asked if we can go on a Jet 2 holiday because "nothing will get in our way". She interprets things very literally, and as far as shes concerned Jet 2 holidays are undefeated, ploughing through potential hazards like "Thunderstorms and bad guys" with ease. My niece once turned to us after a Cillit Bang advert and very seriously said, "I think Barry Scott must be king cleaner". The same niece whose only feedback on Paddington 2 was to, about halfway through, furrow her brow and say, "I don't think the police would allow this". Quote
wordsfromlee Posted January 15 Posted January 15 Mike Vennart is using a guitar I built on the current Biffy Clyro tour. As someone who's formative years were soundtracked by Biffy and Oceansize, it's a mega feeling to see it being played in the O2. Quote
Tim Healys Chutney Spoon Posted January 16 Posted January 16 Asking our local Tesco to donate some Christmas crackers for my daughters primary school, who deemed it 'unnecessary expense' last year and wouldn't be doing them again, and Tesco asking how many we needed. I told them around 300 would be enough. Went and collected today and instead of 300 they had donated slightly under 800! That will cover the next 2 Christmas's at least and more if we want them! Also been told they are happy to look at any other stuff they are sending back or binning and donate to the school going forwards. Oh and also nabbed a box for the care home I work in too. They get some bad press but fair play to Tesco as they didnt need to donate that much to the school but they did it out of kindness and proves that working together gets results Quote
cobra_gordo Posted January 16 Posted January 16 19 hours ago, wordsfromlee said: Mike Vennart is using a guitar I built on the current Biffy Clyro tour. As someone who's formative years were soundtracked by Biffy and Oceansize, it's a mega feeling to see it being played in the O2. That's awesome. Have you got a page to see your work? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.