King Coconut Posted February 27 Posted February 27 I broke my collar bone last Summer so couldn't use up my holidays and now have the whole of March off. Razz! Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted February 27 Paid Members Posted February 27 Our inbound and outbound phone lines are down so I’ve spent the morning playing Aladdin on the Mega Drive and watching Miami Vice. New Resident Evil should arrive in the post. Heck of a Friday so far. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted February 27 Members Posted February 27 My eldest is incredibly bright. Always has been. She also works amazingly hard at revising, and is a super diligent child. She even set up a TikTok account specifically for study tips because her friends asked her to, and it's been very well received (even had a couple of businesses ask if they can "sponsor" it...bit dubious on this but there we go) Anyway she's had her mock results back this week, and she's gone from a 5 in maths and science to an 8 (her weakest subjects) but then has got 9s in English, Sociology, History and French. Her English Lit was 93% and her Lang was 91%. That's insane. And she deserves it, she has grafted and grafted on all of this, especially maths and science. It helps that she loves English and History and genuinely loves revising, the massive nerd. We don't pressure her ever, obviously we want her to do well, but the only pressure she has is the expectations she has of herself. And she's hard on herself and it's sometimes very hard to see and hear. Told her she should be very proud, and keep going and her actual GCSEs will turn out just as good and all the options are hers. Oh and she got accepted into her first choice college and has been given a condition that she can study and extra subject if she gets the grades (rare to get) Dunno where she gets it from Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted February 27 Paid Members Posted February 27 I don't know what the number grades mean, but can assume higher is better. Congratulations to you and your prodigious offspring. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted February 27 Members Posted February 27 3 minutes ago, gmoney said: I don't know what the number grades mean, but can assume higher is better. Congratulations to you and your prodigious offspring. 9 is an A* in old money brother. Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted February 28 Awards Moderator Posted February 28 Love this kind of news. Lost George Melies film discovered after over a century: https://blogs.loc.gov/loc/2026/02/lost-19th-century-film-by-melies-discovered-at-the-library/ Makes you wonder what other lost things might still be out there somewhere. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted March 1 Members Posted March 1 Took our youngest to a driving experience in Hemel Hempstead this morning where she got to bomb around a track in a Mercedes GTS and a Chevrolet Camaro. Of course the driving instructor has a brake pedal, but she was genuinely driving the cars and had an absolute blast. Got up to about 50mph. She loves cars and she didn't know where we going so it was even better as she realised. This place if anyone is interested https://driftlimits.co.uk/ Highly recommend it. Quote
Joe Blog Posted March 1 Posted March 1 In order not impact family time I have started running at 5am a few days a week. Every day for about a month I have ran past an old lad out walking his dog, usually around 6am. He always gives me a “ go on son” “ good work” or “well done” I have began to look forward to seeing him. I often wonder if he was a runner in his day. The romanticist in me wonders if he is an older version of myself checking in on me (I know this isn’t true but it’s a nice feeling) I’m very fond of this old chap. Quote
davertfnewman Posted March 1 Posted March 1 Why don't you just kiss him already?! I kid, fair play to you. Getting out of the house early the last two weekends to get out of the way while work has been going on has let me see runners out in the nicer weather - I really should follow suit, get fitter and more active. Quote
deathrey Posted March 1 Posted March 1 (edited) I keep thinking about getting up early and going to the gym at 6am before getting the kids ready for school/going to work but I would need to go to bed earlier and give up my child free hour in the evening and I just can't make myself so it yet. Well done for doing it @Joe Blog, especially in the current crap weather. Edited March 1 by deathrey Quote
HandsomeButchIII Posted March 1 Posted March 1 Other than schadenfreude, what really warms my cockles and makes me smile, is Terry Hall and Sinead O'Connor's version of Dana's All Kinds of Everything. Beautiful. Quote
davertfnewman Posted March 1 Posted March 1 Bringing it down, sad to think they're both gone now. Quote
ultimo the great Posted March 1 Posted March 1 (edited) Watching this Gorilla taking it's time with a pepper Then 3 videos down seeing this guy bong one of the world’s hottest peppers We've come a long way Edited March 1 by ultimo the great Quote
HandsomeButchIII Posted March 2 Posted March 2 50 minutes ago, davertfnewman said: Bringing it down, sad to think they're both gone now. I try not to think of that mate. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted March 2 Paid Members Posted March 2 1 hour ago, davertfnewman said: Bringing it down, sad to think they're both gone now. Cheers for that, Chuckles. In the cheer you up thread of all places. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.