DavidB6937 Posted May 21 Posted May 21 I'm going to be working with the local hospice where my son passed to potentially do some TV and radio coverage for them, as well as a family profile, and I'm just really happy that I can do something positive to help them out in some way. I mean it's no appearing on the Pat Mcafee Show on ESPN during Mania week but it's a close second. Quote
Paid Members Monkee Posted May 26 Paid Members Posted May 26 Having worked at a children’s hospice for a number of years a while back, they will be immensely grateful for your support, @DavidB6937. I learned so much from the families we supported and tried to always remember the names of the children who visited and what they liked best. What hospice is it? I worked with a few others while I was there through Together For Short Lives. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted May 26 Posted May 26 1 hour ago, Monkee said: Having worked at a children’s hospice for a number of years a while back, they will be immensely grateful for your support, @DavidB6937. I learned so much from the families we supported and tried to always remember the names of the children who visited and what they liked best. What hospice is it? I worked with a few others while I was there through Together For Short Lives. Thank you 🙂 it's the East Anglian Children's Hospice. Very familiar with Together as well. Met some genuinely incredible people in the worst of circumstances. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted May 28 Posted May 28 Double post wanker but who cares. So I've had my first session working with the hospice. I was interviewed on camera for about half an hour. I'm sure they'll splice it up and use it in various ways but I'm so glad I've got this opportunity. It feels a real honour to be able to share my son's story and potentially educate and help others too. It's a real positive thing to come out of a horrendously shitty situation. Funnily enough they asked if I'm comfortable talking about it and I can stop if I want. I said the truth is I'm most comfortable when talking about it because that's when I'm most myself. And it's a relief not having to pretend to be okay at all. I've definitely got another session at least for some website stuff and then maybe a media day but that's not confirmed. I don't get proud of myself very often but I'm really glad I'm doing this. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted June 21 Members Posted June 21 (edited) Got to the train station yesterday with my youngest and there was a bloke probably my age having a tab on the platform (ok fine, it's a village station and open) but also absolutely blaring videos out on his phone which I couldn't quite make out but there was lots of swearing (which again ok, my youngest listens to rap) but also quite a lot of sexual content. He's also got an airpod in his ear. Try not to get into any kind of "confrontation" with my children with me, but I'm just not having it. I ask him if he wouldn't mind turning it down a bit or using his earphones as it's loud and a bit much for the middle of the afternoon in rural Hampshire. He says no, it's not bothering anyone. I said it's bothering me and I ask him again if he wouldn't mind turning it down or using his earphones. He tells me the airpod is for his other phone, and tells me to piss off. At this point I've really had enough and instead of asking him to turn it down I just tell him that what he's listening to is embarrassing for a man of his age, and he should be ashamed. This does sort of get through but he then says to me "why do you need to butt your eggs in!" which makes me genuinely laugh out loud and now I'm laughing too much as does my youngest (she's fine, she's about 15 feet away) By now there's a few people on the platform so he's being rude and belligerent to more than just me and my 13yo, but that's not the point. Genuinely from nowhere as there's nowhere to appear from at this station, a mountain of a man steps out from, I assume the fence?, I genuinely don't know, and says to matey "turn your shit off or I'll throw your phone over the river" which backs onto the station. At which point he turns it all off and skulks away. Big man turns to me and my youngest and apologises for being aggressive but same, says he just wasn't having it. I'm still not sure where he came from, unless he was leaning back against the fence, Arnie in camo gear style. Yes this was fairly emasculating as clearly I'm not threatening (not sure that's the right word?) enough for tiktok nonce to stop, but that's fine. It was a very satisfying outcome as these pricks cannot be allowed to get away with this shit. "Butt your eggs in" I'm still laughing. Edited June 21 by SuperBacon Noticed I'd used the phrase "at this point" about 400 times Quote
simonworden Posted June 22 Posted June 22 (edited) Never mind, went down very badly. Let's just all move on Edited June 22 by simonworden Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted June 22 Moderators Posted June 22 Ugh that is horrible. Can we not, please? Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted June 22 Paid Members Posted June 22 Shit unfunny AI slop. Fuck off. Quote
simonworden Posted June 22 Posted June 22 1 hour ago, LaGoosh said: Shit unfunny AI slop. Fuck off. Alright, misstep on that one. Sorry. Moving on Quote
Paid Members Statto Posted June 23 Paid Members Posted June 23 The biggest live event in North America this summer starts today: Quote
Paid Members Dead Mike Posted June 23 Paid Members Posted June 23 (edited) Walking my youngest to school this morning & someone had put this on the post box up the road Edited June 23 by Dead Mike Quote
Paid Members Statto Posted June 23 Paid Members Posted June 23 Love a bit of knit bombing on a postbox and that's a cracking example. There's usually a couple of good ones on my Sunday long run route, and my cousin often posts pics of the ones outside her house (which is the old village post office my aunt used to run) on Facebook. She has a chronic health condition so doesn't get too far from home now, and I know they significantly brighten her day. I also love the fact that the artist(s?) remain as anonymous as Banksy despite the fact it's in a village of about 150 people where everyone knows everyone. Quote
deathrey Posted June 23 Posted June 23 There is a SEND school in my town that has a Post Box outside it and someone regularly does crochet toppers for the Postbox - always changed to be topical. I love it! @Stattoours is a mystery knitter too. Whoever it is, they are very talented Quote
Cousin Jim Bob Posted June 23 Posted June 23 I have managed to finish all the weekly assignments for my online Teaching Assistant course today. My plan for the rest of the week is to nod my head occasionally on Teams, whilst playing 38-0 and watching WCW Vault on YouTube. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.