Who Carked it in 2022?

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Both my late Stepdads, and by extension my mum, were pretty big Meatloaf fans. Bat Out Of Hell 2 was a regular fixture on the car stereo when we were off out for a drive, and they went to thay Bat Out Of Hell musical a good few times, too. Was I wrong in thinking he'd not been well for a while? There'll be a good few couples murdering Paradise By The Dashboard Light at the karaoke to honour his memory tonight, I'm sure. What a career. Also he was Bob in Fight Club, and Bob had bitch tits. RIP. 

• Paid Members

Sad news. But then he did say/sing/write that a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age, so I doubt he’d have wanted to linger.

I’m of the age that I was in Year 6 when I’d Do Anything For Love was number one, and it’s one of my strongest memories of all the kids loving the same song, except for when all the girls had gone mental for that Dirty Dancing one. On a family trip to Portugal, Bat out of Hell 2 was the only tape I had in my Walkman the whole trip, and the legacy of that album still impacted upon me decades later when I discovered the original version of Goid Girls Go To Heaven (Bad Girls Go Everywhere) - by Pandoras Box - which became one of my favourite earworms for years, and it still is.

Sad to hear that he’s a brown bread Loaf, he was great.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Both my late Stepdads, and by extension my mum, were pretty big Meatloaf fans. Bat Out Of Hell 2 was a regular fixture on the car stereo when we were off out for a drive, and they went to thay Bat Out Of Hell musical a good few times, too. Was I wrong in thinking he'd not been well for a while? There'll be a good few couples murdering Paradise By The Dashboard Light at the karaoke to honour his memory tonight, I'm sure. What a career. Also he was Bob in Fight Club, and Bob had bitch tits. RIP. 

His Name Was Robert Paulson.

One of my strongest childhood memories that I haven’t smashed out of my brain is sitting in the car on a 6 hour journey to my Aunties house and hearing I’d Do Anything for Love every hour on the radio (as well as hearing Don’t Stand So Close To Me on the classics hour and being filled with utter despair because I’d never hear it again because it was old and I didn’t know what it was called). When I got home I recorded Bat Out of Hell 2 from my dad’s CD and marked out because there was a swear word on Life is A Lemon and I want my Money Back. 

• Awards Moderator

Bat Out Of Hell II and his Greatest Hits were fixtures for the car when we’d go on family holidays. He had some great songs that I’ve regularly listened to ever since. Anything post- that 90s period wasn’t great but I’ve still got great memories from the mid 2000s of my friend John singing “Blind As A Bat” from Bat Out Of Hell III whenever he got really drunk. RIP Meat Loaf.

• Paid Members

I actually discovered what "that" was this morning as well, as in what he won't do for love. 

Sad news about Meat Loaf, I know he had been in poor health for a while but last year, think it was around August time he performed a few songs and dedicated Out Of The Frying Pan to Jim Steinnman, who died earlier in the year, who he said was his friend and brother. When I heard that I immediately thought I was glad and I hoped that they put their differences aside.

In the video Meat Loaf looked like he had lost a bit of weight and was sat down for a good portion of songs but I thought his voice sounded a lot better than the last time I heard him live, which was probably 2010 time. 

The video is on YouTube for anyone wanting to check it out - apologies, I would post it myself but I am crap at posting links etc. 

RIP Meat Loaf.

• Paid Members

My old man had a story about him which I hope is true. One night my old man was having a lock in with his landlord and a few mates when this American chap turns up and they kindly invite him in to drink with them. They gas away all night talking nonsense, not about music but life in general. Anyway, the cleaning lady arrives for her early morning shift and is absolutely shocked to discover that the American is none other than the esteemed Mr. Loaf. Which then became a bit embarrassing for everyone, who had heard the name but genuinely didn't know it was actually him, and they became all apologetic. But he insisted that there was nothing to be sorry for, and the fact they didn't know who he was made it all the more enjoyable for him. Supposedly, he sorted them all out with tickets for his next gig in the area a few months later and met up with them all backstage again. 

Got no evidence or any hard proof of that, but I badly want it to be true. 

• Paid Members

Jeezo, not Meat Loaf. RIP Big Man. "Bat Out of Hell" will be on rotation tonight.

Also has a wrestling connection too, he was playing the drums because his career was down on his luck on one of the 80s WWF "Wrestling Albums". In the music video, he was supposed to run away, when the grapplers chased him, but didn't and wanted a big smash up with the lads. Greg Valentine said that somewhere. Music video was changed.

Edited by bAzTNM#1