Who Carked it in 2022?

Devon Malcolm

The last verse is essentially a list of what he won’t do. Since the song came out, some hilarious people have been making the same joke over and over again. I guess I’m just bored of hearing the same joke for years and years and years when the joke doesn’t even work in the first place. 

Hopefully now, in honour of him, the joke will get dropped. 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The last verse is essentially a list of what he won’t do. Since the song came out, some hilarious people have been making the same joke over and over again. I guess I’m just bored of hearing the same joke for years and years and years when the joke doesn’t even work in the first place. 

A lot of people have been making that joke, I saw plenty of comments explaining, and learned it from there I didn't mean my initial comment as facetious, I did actually find out what "that" was, all 9 thats. I'd imagine that joke will either get dropped and broken so it can't be used again, or Paul Ross will be dining out on it in "I love 2022" for years to come. 

• Paid Members

Had to teach a couple of young’uns about the great man in work today.  First time our media room has been used to anything useful.  Full version of Bat out of Hell converted the little tinkers.  Such a great part of my childhood and all through my life.  Even his poorer stuff was a dramatic classic.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Jeezo, not Meat Loaf. RIP Big Man. "Bat Out of Hell" will be on rotation tonight.

Also has a wrestling connection too, he was playing the drums because his career was down on his luck on one of the 80s WWF "Wrestling Albums". In the music video, he was supposed to run away, when the grapplers chased him, but didn't and wanted a big smash up with the lads. Greg Valentine said that somewhere. Music video was changed.

He also had Rick Derringer play guitar on some of his songs, most notably the massively underrated If You Really Want To, who was also responsible for the guitar solo on Real American, There's also a link with Jim Steinman, as he wrote the theme tune to Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling.

I started listening to Meat Loaf when I was around 12. My Mum had Hits Out Of Hell in her cassette collection, but I'd never listened to it, probably because of the odd name and weird horse skeleton motorbike thingy on the cover (which I'm surprised didn't get me curious). Then a friend showed me The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and when I got home I went straight to the rack and got the album out.

Bat Out Of Hell is such a wonderfully overblown song. It's unnecessarily long, has an unnecessary amount of overdubs, is unnecessarily complicated in its arrangement, has a completely bonkers song structure, and it's all the more brilliant for it.

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I remember a painfully awkward Meat Loaf appearance on the Big Breakfast when throughout the show Mark Little would go "You claim you'd do anything for love but you won't do that, but by that did you mean...this?" and they'd cut to a crew member getting in a bath of beans and shit like that. After the first one Meat was pretty clear about what the song meant*, but they just kept repeating the joke over and over again to an increasingly irate guest.

*FWIW, while Meat was always pretty adamant that the song was quite unambiguously about cheating, Jim Steinman (who wrote it) was always aware there was room for interpretation/debate (despite the fact he wrote it about cheating).