AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

36 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I don't want to go full Cornette, but my word. This sort of stuff is my pet hate in wrestling.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYX12xzo8g6/

Awful, reminds me of Storm v Fleisch from back in the day.  I know wrestling isn't real, but allow me to suspend disbelief please.

I know I've got more squeamish as I've got older, but I do think AEW uses blood too much.  BOTH guys in the championship match bled, heavily, and I always think that sort of cancels out the impact.  Plus they both bled in the last match as well IIRC.  I don't think their matches need colour at ALL.  The WWE having completely banned blading, has meant that when you DO see blood in a WWE ring, it's a big deal and treated as such.

Jade Cargill is the wrong choice for the TBS  Champion.  She was awful in this match as well - she can't even feed her opponent properly, Soho kept having to reposition as Cargill lurched around the ring randomly.  And her offence is terrible.  If you can't have a good match with Soho, you shouldn't even be on TV really, let along carrying a title.

Do we think Jurassic Express were meant to win the titles or was it an audible call after the Fenix injury?

Ok episode but considering it was kicking off a new year and a new channel... a bit lacking in surprises.

4 minutes ago, Loki said:

If you can't have a good match with Soho, you shouldn't even be on TV really, let along carrying a title.

Do you think? I'm not sure Ruby has had anything exceeding an average match in AEW, and for the most part, her ring work has been quite weak. While I think your criticism of Cargill's work is perfectly valid, I also feel like there's been progression with her performances, while Ruby has kind of ambled along at the same level. I can see why they'd take a chance on Cargill, rather than put the title on Ruby. 

15 minutes ago, Loki said:

Do we think Jurassic Express were meant to win the titles or was it an audible call after the Fenix injury?

I was wondering that too, but given that it was in the main event slot, and that, as you also mentioned, there weren't any surprises, I'm guessing the idea always was to close the first TBS show with a big title change. I'm more intrigued with the prospect of Jurassic Express as Champions than Penta and Fenix, especially given the slightly sinister presence of Christian as their advisor. Penta and Fenix never really got going as champions, and I'm not sure they were ever going to. They'd be much better off as singles wrestlers. 

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Really enjoyed MJF/Punk bit, felt like they got the story back on track. 

I loved it, and I'd go as far as to say that this is my favourite feud in all of wrestling right now. There were people who were quick to jump on them for that initial promo battle, claiming they'd used up all of their material before they had the chance to prove that they hadn't. For me, each angle in this feud has been really creative, and, for the most part, really bloody memorable. I can't wait until they wrestle, and I kind of hope it happens on free TV. I'd be interested to see what kind of rating it would pull.  

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

No idea who Hangmans next challenger is at this point.

According to the rankings, Adam Cole and Wardlow are next in line after Danielson. Cole would be an interesting challenger for Revolution, although it does seem a bit early to be going to him. Given that Page has previously said he'd be worried about facing Wardlow, I could also see them taking that direction - although it's likely only ever going to be a vehicle to progress the MJF/Wardlow storyline.

• Paid Members

MJF is now the only one of the 4 (5) Pillars of AEW to never hold a title. That's got to be fed into a storyline somewhere? 

Especially if Handsome Bastard Wardlow gets offered a championship match before him because of his incredible rankings. 

I almost expect Wardlow to win next week but Punk to shake his hand post match. It'd be stupid to chop the legs out from under him now with a clean loss, unless it's MJF interference that costs him and leads to him being put through the mat while the picture in picture is just the fans chanting one more time each time he hits a powerbomb. 

1 minute ago, Shy Dad said:

I almost expect Wardlow to win next week but Punk to shake his hand post match. It'd be stupid to chop the legs out from under him now with a clean loss, unless it's MJF interference that costs him and leads to him being put through the mat while the picture in picture is just the fans chanting one more time each time he hits a powerbomb. 

I reckon MJF will interfere, much as Punk did this week, attacking Wardlow to give him the win. He'll then try and frame it to a pissed-off Wardlow as a favour, and perhaps even say "let's be honest, you wouldn't have beaten him without my help anyway". I don't see Wardlow shaking Punk's hand at this stage. I think, at this stage, that it's just too obvious a step of defiance against MJF to make it worth doing. The babyface moment for Wardlow, in my opinion, should be when he finally snaps and attacks MJF. 

8 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

MJF is now the only one of the 4 (5) Pillars of AEW to never hold a title. That's got to be fed into a storyline somewhere? 

I never thought of that, that has to be a deliberate decision. 

I'd argue that neither Ruby or Jade should be anywhere near holding a title.

I always assumed Ruby was one of those wrestlers that were okay and fully capable of having watchable matches but never really deserved to be any higher than they were, and I've not seen anything since her AEW arrival to convince me otherwise. She's one of those wrestlers wrestler type deals like Natalya really. A lot of respect there but she's not the one you want to be putting titles on etc.

It's definitely too soon for Jade and I would've hoped she had improved more than she has. I still think she's got a LOT of upside and I can see why they'd want to invest time into her but I really hope she gets her shit together and starts delivering better, or they work their matches around her limitations far better than they did with Ruby.

• Paid Members

Ruby Soho feels like she is one of the wrestlers that people like to claim big evil WWE held down and is so much better than what she has had so far, when in actuality, she is an ok hand to have others go over, as mentioned, like Natalya. Her gimmick is she has tattoos, but outside of that, what else is there? They booked themselves into a corner with Jade and Ruby being the final two, Ruby shouldn't be near a title at the moment and Jade has everything else needed to be a star, other than the in-ring skills at this moment and should have maybe taken a DQ loss earlier in the tournament. 

They should have used this TBS Title to rehab Nyla Rose into the dominant force she should be, drop Vikki and just go full on unstoppable heel before being dethroned by a babyface about to take the next step up (Tay Conti? Anna Jay?). 

Jade taking the title let’s her beat the lower card/ dark & elevation level women without it moving her into the rankings for the woman’s title. Hopefully helps her work out her style and improve as she has everything else ready 

I watched that Fenix table spot however many times they showed it with the replays and I somehow never once noticed the injury, thank god. That sort of stuff makes me queasy.

Totally agree with comments already made here about Ruby, Jade, Jericho, and the suggestions for Punk/Wardlow next week.

I punched the air with joy when Hangman got the pin on Danielson. But the latter, fucking hell, I cannot WAIT to see what he does next!

I don't think I've seen anything better than a passable match from Ruby so not sure where this idea that she's some great worker comes from, I'd say she's overtook the likes of Fish as blandest "big" signing. He even has the better punk song as a theme.

Jade is fucking gold tho, I love her no matter how green she is.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Mr.Showtime said:

I watched that Fenix table spot however many times they showed it with the replays and I somehow never once noticed the injury, thank god.

Nor me. In fact I was looking at Luchasaurus' arm every time as he was holding it and I couldn't work out what he'd done to it. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members
Just now, Merzbow said:

Jade is fucking gold tho, I love her no matter how green she is.

Same. She's pretty good for her experience level. 

I've seen Ruby have one clunky, dull match after another so I was delighted Jade got the win here. 

3 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I don't think I've seen anything better than a passable match from Ruby so not sure where this idea that she's some great worker comes from, I'd say she's overtook the likes of Fish as blandest "big" signing. He even has the better punk song as a theme. 

I suspected that it's the classic "good in Japan" scenario but after looking it up she only seemed to work a few matches in Stardom at a time when they seemed to let pretty much anyone work there. 

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

It's definitely too soon for Jade and I would've hoped she had improved more than she has. I still think she's got a LOT of upside and I can see why they'd want to invest time into her but I really hope she gets her shit together and starts delivering better, or they work their matches around her limitations far better than they did with Ruby.

One thing about AEW, and most pro wrestling in general post 2019, is the sheer lack of ring time. Never in history have wrestlers wrestled less. Now dont get me wrong, I'm not advocating wrestling 350+ days a year (and there are obvious benefits to wrestling less like overall health) but working so little means someone like Jade will take much longer to develop.

Previously she would, theoretically, have been working 3-4 times a week every week against the likes of a Serena Deeb or Thunder Rosa to get experience which only comes from working in the ring. 

I'm sure she'll get there but a general lack of ring time and quality opponents who can give her on the job training means that at this point her inexperience is being horribly overexposed. 

Edited by Snitsky's back acne