AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members

Brilliant news but I am stunned there's no broken bones. AEW need to reign it in a bit because there's been three or four instances where shocking and career threatening bumps have taken place and they've not covered themselves with glory in how they've been handled. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

In Jade Cargill's case - not working in front of a live crowd against more experienced wrestlers.

Most of the roster still do Indy dates at weekends. If Jade isn’t doing that, that’s her choice. No one is working a WWE schedule, but a lot of the roster are fighting elsewhere or training.

32 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Done 1,010,000 viewers and a .43 in ~the demo. Trounced the NHL game on TNT too by about double. They must be delighted with that. 

Exactly what they would've been hoping for. Now to try and sustain that on a regular basis, which I know is easier said than done but it'd be nice if they could keep the viewers they gain with big events etc. They deserve it.

8 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

So apparently Jade winning the TBS belt was a kneejerk reaction to the Twitter comments between Swole and TK last week and definitely wasn’t what they had in mind all along 

I think everyone knew that reaction was coming. People will see it as ticking a box, and during the entrances showing Jade's kid in the audience as a direct response to some of Swole's comments.

Bringing in Mercedes Martinez looked like a way to cover some of Jade's faults. Giving her an experienced hand to tag with and run interference in singles.

• Paid Members

They were damned if they do and damned if they don't with that one - if they put the belt on Jade, then it's a kneejerk reaction to Swole's comments to say, "look, we do push black women" (ignoring that Swole was apparently quite critical of Cargill in the past), and if they put the belt on Ruby then it was open season for critics to say, "we were right, they never push black wrestlers".

• Paid Members

I really wish they had swapped Luchasaurus out and put in Christian instead for the tag title win. Christian & Jungle Boy is a bloody lovely tag team. Luchasaurus can barely wrestle. The thought of FTR vs Jungle Boy & Christian is just delightful. Alas.

21 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I really wish they had swapped Luchasaurus out and put in Christian instead for the tag title win. Christian & Jungle Boy is a bloody lovely tag team. Luchasaurus can barely wrestle. The thought of FTR vs Jungle Boy & Christian is just delightful. Alas.

Could be the start of a nice Christian heel turn at some point during there reign as champs, in a month or two have Luchasaurus "taken out" by somebody a few days before a title defence, Christian to convince Khan to let him and Jungle Boy defend the belts as part of the FreeBird rule, then the big guy can come back at some point only for it to be revealed that Christian was behind the attack. Or something. 

• Paid Members

Jade was winning that from the get go, especially going over Thunder Rosa. Whether she was ready to to in turns of ability, we know AEW like a long game, and she is on an undefeated streak.

What does blow my mind, and again amplified by the Swole fall out, is people pointing to WWE and Lashley and Big E recently being featured as champions and how that demonstrates they are a much better promotion then AEW, completely ignoring the last 30 odd years of exceptionaly poor booking (and the runs they, and before them Kofi) they got once they got the belt.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Jade was winning that from the get go, especially going over Thunder Rosa. Whether she was ready to to in turns of ability, we know AEW like a long game, and she is on an undefeated streak.

What does blow my mind, and again amplified by the Swole fall out, is people pointing to WWE and Lashley and Big E recently being featured as champions and how that demonstrates they are a much better promotion then AEW, completely ignoring the last 30 odd years of exceptionaly poor booking (and the runs they, and before them Kofi) they got once they got the belt.

In fairness, WWE have done a better job than usual of having representation toward the top of the card - Lashley's been a constant fixture for a while now, and while he may have been booked pretty poorly (I honestly don't know, not been watching), putting the belt on Big E was a popular move.

Lashley and Big E have main evented the last couple of pay-per-views, Xavier Woods is King of the Ring, Omos is getting a push, the New Day are a regular fixture, Bianca Belair's been presumably still booked pretty strong, Lashley got the feud with Goldberg, and so on. 

The problem is that it's a lazy analysis of either promotion to look to them and say, "well, they're pushing black wrestlers and giving them titles, therefore they're less racist than the other company". It's representation, and that's great, but even Bill Watts always pushed Junkyard Dog. That you're profiting off a black employee's labour isn't really the best defence against suggestions of racism, and WWE have a much longer rap sheet than AEW in that area - though obviously a lot of that is simply because WWE have been around so much longer.

It feels a bit like the gammons who complain about never seeing white people in adverts, that on some level someone is trying to prove a point by counting the number of black faces on the screen. When what's equally, if not more important, is the broader ethos of the company, and the number of minorities working behind the scenes. I don't know if AEW are doing much better than WWE on that count, but I can't think of many prominent faces in the upper echelons of WWE management that make me think it's an inclusive and open working environment.

In terms of poor booking in WWE - the counterpoint there would surely be that WWE booking is consistently shit across the board, so it's not like Big E was unique in being badly booked as champion.

4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

In terms of poor booking in WWE - the counterpoint there would surely be that WWE booking is consistently shit across the board, so it's not like Big E was unique in being badly booked as champion.

Exactly what I was going to say. It's all about context isn't it. It's easy to just look at Kofi losing to Lesnar in 2 seconds and claim that he was buried, but it was all about the journey for him and Bryan putting him over etc. Let's be honest - if you'd asked the majority of fans a year or two prior to that if they felt like Kofi was world title material or deserved a run then I'm pretty damn sure they'd have said no. He was rarely featured in discussions about under-utilised talents or anything (he's no Cesaro!).

But yeah the whole racism/representation thing often comes without a lack of context. And I think plenty of white champions have had shit title runs over the years because WWE are just piss poor at booking their champions a lot of the time.

In fact I'd argue they've done a really fucking good job with Lashley over the past year or so with the Hurt Business and MVP and all that jazz. He's a million times more interesting than the guy that walked back through those doors and was horrendously bland. And yeah, maybe Big E didn't get a massive title run but he was out there and getting name recognition in various places outside of WWE and got that opportunity.

So really, these arguments could go on forever depending on what someone is looking for in terms of representation. Is it opportunity? Is it seeing the talent being used regularly in prominent positions? Does representation only count if they get a decent title run and become a top tier champion? Everyone has their own ideas about diversity and what is acceptable in 2022 and those are always important discussions to have. I don't look at WWE and think they've done bad by black champions because I think they regularly do a bad job regardless of who is champion but then I'm also a white man so my view on the world is understandably different and mostly irrelevant.

34 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

but I can't think of many prominent [black] faces in the upper echelons of WWE management that make me think it's an inclusive and open working environment.

Well they had Road Dogg but he's just been released.