AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

12 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

That's what's unclear to me. Because with only 4 PPVs a year you can't really save too much for the PPVs because you've got 3 months of telly to fill inbetween and as a newish company you'd think getting (and keeping) new eyes on the TV would be priority one. 

Cody v. Brodie Lee 1 & 2

Danielson v. Hangman 1 & 2

Omega v. Danielson

Omega v. Moxley

Thunder Rosa v. Britt Baker Lights Out

MJF v. Jericho

All kind of spring to mind. They do play out quite big moments on TV. Helps that they throw out numerous special episodes that can signpost them.

Gargano will be Cleveland in two weeks if anywhere I think. I'll be at that show too! In fact I'm kicking off an insane few weeks of live shows all over the US so will hopefully catch some big moments along the way.

Jan 15th - NJPW Strong - Seattle

Jan 22nd - GCW HOF Ceremony - NY

Jan 23rd - GCW Hammerstein - NY

Jan 26th - AEW Dynamite/Rampage - Cleveland

Jan 29th/30th - PWG BOLA Night 1 & 2 - LA

Feb 12th - DEFY Fifth year anniversary - Seattle

Feb 20th - Prestige - Portland

Just to confirm….

MJF’s an idiot, Wardlow’s naive and CM Punk is a bit shit?

I thought booking Punk/Wardlow was a mistake.  It was way worst than I even imagined.

Just let stars be stars. Fucking hell.

Why is Punk being used as a prop in the build of the eventual mid-card battle between MJF and Wardlow?

I honestly can’t believe how poorly they use big names at times. We’ve all criticised WWE in the past for 50/50 booking… but this is worst, this is literally ‘everyone is equal in our eyes’ week to week. It’s absolutely insane.

Work out who your main event are and plot shows around them.

If they carry on like this they’ll get Punk injured before he even has a chance to do anything meaningful. Absolutely baffling.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Is there a more overused trope in AEW than "lights go off, debuting indie star is in the ring". I know it gets a big pop, but watching Brody King debut I just couldn't help but think they need to find a better way to debut people than rehashing that so frequently. That said, King looked brilliant and himself and Black look like a genuinely menacing duo, so that's pretty exciting. 

• Paid Members

I read on Monday they had about just under 9,000 tickets on sale and had sold almost 5000k. That arena probably holds almost 3 times that so it was obviously set up that way. I know Carolina is going through a bit of an omnicron wave at the moment, but maybe they should be running other venues.

21 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Is there a more overused trope in AEW than "lights go off, debuting indie star is in the ring". I know it gets a big pop, but watching Brody King debut I just couldn't help but think they need to find a better way to debut people than rehashing that so frequently. That said, King looked brilliant and himself and Black look like a genuinely menacing duo, so that's pretty exciting. 

Given that 'lights off' is part of Black's gimmick, I was OK with this. I'm intrigued at what they're doing with PAC - it's difficult to decipher who he is going to align with based on that video. He could easily team up with Penta in Fenix's absence, but the implication for me was that he may actually end up in the House of Black. 

Overall, I thought this show was a bit all-over-the-place. I enjoyed it for the most part, but it definitely felt like a chaotic mess at points. 

It was a bit disappointing to get more borderline homophobia from Dan Lambert, with his Village People reference, but it was nice that the crowd didn't respond to that at all. 

The whole Lambert thing was a bit odd. He came out, Page offered to give Page or Sky a title shot, Lambert effectively turned that down to moan about Page's cowboy gimmick and Cody Rhodes, and then we had that Archer return. I've no idea what the hell they were going for, but it didn't really work. Page's mic work was good, though. 

The Jericho/Kingston/2.0 storyline can die a death too. It feels like the same angle week after week. I hope they do something to progress the Jericho/Kingston aspect of this soon, it's starting to drag. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

It was a bit disappointing to get more borderline homophobia from Dan Lambert, with his Village People reference, but it was nice that the crowd didn't respond to that at all. 

Did I miss something? I thought he was comparing Adam Page to the singer in the village people who dressed up as a cowboy. The comparison being neither where real cowboys but dressed up as one.

3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Did I miss something? I thought he was comparing Adam Page to the singer in the village people who dressed up as a cowboy. The comparison being neither where real cowboys but dressed up as one.

Lambert has made homophobic jokes in his promos in the past, and I'm absolutely certain his decision to refer to the Village People was deliberate; and was yet another dated gay joke. 

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Was that the lowest attended Dynamite outside of the Dailys Place shows? Most of the hard cam side was empty, yet ticket sales looked really good. 

They've run North Caroline three times in the past month so I'm not surprised ticket sales have been down. They seem to be running the same proven areas over and over.