AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

27 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

They've run North Caroline three times in the past month so I'm not surprised ticket sales have been down. They seem to be running the same proven areas over and over.

It is going to come back and bite them sooner or later. 
Im sure there will be a bunch of excuses online if we go looking for them, but setting up for 9,000 and only shifting 5,000 has got to be disappointing whether you’re AEW, WWE or anybody else.

The latest paragraph of CM Punk’s love letter to Bret Hart was a bit rough. After 8 powerbombs I get that the Small Package would look a bit shit, but it also made Wardlow look a right gimp for getting pinned with such a poorly executed move.

Fuck Dan Lambert for putting card carrying member of the KKK Dick Murdoch over.

MJF’s hand disease seems to be spreading

fMTMwho.jpg

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
On 1/10/2022 at 4:10 PM, LaGoosh said:

I don't think the stories are being diluted because AEW doesn't really have many stories.

Some of the stories currently taking place on AEW:

Tension between Undisputed and the Young Bucks, who will Cole choose?

Adam Page trying to prove that he is a worthy champion.

Christian cage mentoring and starting to take credit for Jurassic Express (also Jungle Boy wins the big one)

Varsity Blondes want revenge for what black did to the cheerleader, and developing a real mean streak.

Cody thinks hes cool, but everyone else hates him.

Jericho and Kingston have mutual enemies, but their egos are too big to align. P+P are caught in the middle.

CM Punk wants to fight MJF. MJF doesn't want to fight Punk.

Dan Lambert is Jim Cornette, but also represents WWE viewers because he's old. His men of the year think they don't get opportunities so they're going after Cody

I'm sure there are more, but those are top of my head. If you want to argue those stories are not told well, then go ahead. I actually think the problem is they're all too long term, we need a bit of wrestler A doesn't like wrestler B ( although it looks like this week is dealing with that a bit and setting up some new stuff). But there's no doubt they're telling some stories.

As I type, I wonder if this is to do with the fact that they build their stories around their matches, rather than vice versa. WWE has some stories that they tell in their weekly shows and fits matches in to tell them. AEW seems to book a load of matches each week and then try and fit the stories in. You get a more action packed show with more going on, but the story progresses a lot slower. WWE has the opposite problem, their stories tend to move faster but at the expense of quality matches on their TV (and these days the stories are crap).

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Lambert has made homophobic jokes in his promos in the past, and I'm absolutely certain his decision to refer to the Village People was deliberate; and was yet another dated gay joke. 

I think thats a stretch. Which other fake cowboy in popular culture should he of referenced?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

The Jericho/Kingston/2.0 storyline can die a death too. It feels like the same angle week after week. I hope they do something to progress the Jericho/Kingston aspect of this soon, it's starting to drag. 

God yes. They can't keep using Garcia and 2.0 as placeholders for people to semi-feud with while something more compelling is going on. There's no credibility there so it's numbingly predictable and they're very generic (more 2.0 than Garcia, he's got a little something about him) it's not interesting to watch. It's worse than usual in this series as well because the main storyline is pants as well. 

Fuck me, did Dan Lambert take over from Cody as your landlord. I get, I GET why people are going to raise an eye at that Village People line, in fact I'd be confused if it was said by anyone on AEW except Dan Lambert. The irony of Lambert's schtick is he's just like them. The fans. He's a nerd, but an outdated one and basically a big windbag. An American dad telling his sons referee what for. 

Not a clue who Brody King is so I hope be turns out alright. 

I thought Deeb/Shida was an absolutely brilliant angle. Long may they fight and twat each other.

LAYLA HIRSCH 4 TEAM TAZ 4EVA PLZZZ!! 

Just to boost this up the chat, that CM Punk segment was the worst thing that’s ever happened on live television.

Okay, it wasn’t… but fuck a grandma it was bad.

I’m stewing over how poor it was.

MJF looks an idiot, Wardlow doesn’t look much better and CM Punk looks absolutely shit. Their biggest star and he got beat up the entire match, had 30 seconds of offence and then got absolutely battered because taking a split second to flip MJF off distracted him.

It’s fucking CM Punk and he’s being used as a prop to get over the coming MJF/Wardlow feud.

It’s absolutely garbage. I can’t get over it.

Oh, I’m definitely being dramatic for effect.

But it was bad.

It’s like if WWE brought The Rock back to build a feud between Miz and Alex Ryder back in the day, or something. 

The superstar shouldn’t be the prop, they should be integral to the main story. Even if they end up losing and give someone their rub.

Wardlow might be the guy, but he isn’t yet and nor is MJF.

It is an absolute waste of Punk. He could be doing so much more to elevate this company.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

I know he's a big star, but surely the point of CM Punk is that he's old, was away for years and should, by all rights, be a bit shit but scrapes by on being wily. They've been telling that story for months. It makes sense for both stories that, that match was telling that Wardlow dominate Punk. 

They've also previously established that it's MJF and not AEW that Wardlow is contracted to, so nothing in that match didn't make sense. 

We know that Punk is at heart a massive prick, so that moment of hubris with flipping off MJF leading into the powerbombs made perfect sense.

Punk wanted to tell interesting stories that weren't being done in WWE. I'd rather this than the equivalent of a Goldberg run.

I also take issue with the idea that he isn't elevating the company. He's presently in a feud with their biggest homegrown star and just basically put over their nascent monster baby face. He's putting eyes on the long term future of the company, he should be applauded for it.

5 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

I know he's a big star, but surely the point of CM Punk is that he's old, was away for years and should, by all rights, be a bit shit but scrapes by on being wily. They've been telling that story for months. It makes sense for both stories that, that match was telling that Wardlow dominate Punk. 

They've also previously established that it's MJF and not AEW that Wardlow is contracted to, so nothing in that match didn't make sense. 

We know that Punk is at heart a massive prick, so that moment of hubris with flipping off MJF leading into the powerbombs made perfect sense.

Punk wanted to tell interesting stories that weren't being done in WWE. I'd rather this than the equivalent of a Goldberg run.

I also take issue with the idea that he isn't elevating the company. He's presently in a feud with their biggest homegrown star and just basically put over their nascent monster baby face. He's putting eyes on the long term future of the company, he should be applauded for it.

Absolutely disagree from the bottom of my boots to the top of the hair I’ve pulled out.

He can’t elevate anything from the position of being a bit shit.

Be great, be the Punk people want. Go win a world title and be the best in the world… then put over Wardlow or MJF or whoever the fuck else it is.

He’s been there too long now to still be ‘a bit shit’.

You gain nothing as a young star by beating someone who’s a ‘bit shit’.

He’s fucking CM Punk. He should never be a ‘bit shit’. He should be absolutely brilliant by now, the best in the world… until someone younger is better.

Like I said initially, let stars be stars. That’s what gives them the power to go and make other stars.

Hes facing Shawn Spears next week. Imagine they have CM Punk return, the hottest return in wrestling, and he gets injured wrestling a television match against a man in a suit jacket, pants and a beanie.

Worlds gone mad.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

8 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

He’s fucking CM Punk. He should never be a ‘bit shit’. He should be absolutely brilliant by now, the best in the world… until someone younger is better.

He was away for SEVEN years. The younger AEW guys ARE better. Punk is having to get meaner and sneakier to beat them. That's the story.

Or you could have a guy who hadn't been in a ring for half a decade come in and smash his way through everyone who's the future of the company. Christ. Punk knows how to book Punk better than you do.