AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

3 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Lads, why are we focusing on the Punk stuff, rather than the real news coming out of this show?

They didn’t do The Acclaim’s, “viral video,”! Rubbish! I was looking forward to that!

See, Supe’s, this is why I like you. You’ve served me an opportunity to be positive

I really like The Acclaimed. A properly exciting act, and I think Max Caster is superb.

• Paid Members

I’m convinced that’s why AEW is feeling so stale and stilted at the moment. Too many backstage attacks, too many lights-out surprises, too much bell-to-bell wrestling and not enough vignettes, character stuff and fun, backstage silliness.

The Acclaimed doing a daft Tik Tok taking the piss out of Sting and Darby’s black and white student movies would’ve been amazing. Nothing worse in wrestling than when a promotion tees up a fun idea then just doesn’t bother even trying.

I still enjoy AEW each week and look forward to it but do you think we were so spoilt in the first year and the covid 1st year of shows with the quality and how much better is was than WWE that we now want more each week than just good wrestling

The show is still a good watch each week but agree it needs so more "stories" not this group vs this group, interruption backstage and thats it

• Paid Members

Does this mean Britt Baker is part of the Elite now? Is this supposed to further set Jamie Hayter up as the babyface when the split happens? 

I thought the Punk march was fine. He fought from underneath against the bigger opponent. At one point Wardlow had it won, but MJF ended up coating him. There were several different angles running through that match. 

Kingston was great. Shame Jericho has decided that he needs to be involved with him. Are we going to get Kingston, Santana & Ortiz Vs Jericho, Hager and Sammy somewhere down the line? 

Where was Jade Cargill defending the TBS title on its namesake network? It doesn't help with dispelling the (wrong) allegations of tokenism that were levelled at her after she won it, especially when they try and have a TNT title defence every week on one of the shows. A video package is well and good, but would the best way to showcase your new champion not be to have her defend it? 

Were they that desperate to get Lambert some heat after the pops he got lambasting Cody the other week? It feels like he's spinning his wheels until Cody is back. Archer is a good call for a challenger, but I can't see him beating Page. 

I presume Serena Deeb & Hikaru Shida are heading for a lights out match? Deeb's brutality would be even better if there was a babyface champion she could be chasing. 

It was impressive when Malakai Black threw Garrison up to Brody King for that slam. 

Layla would be a good fit in Team Taz, but in a company with two heel champions do they not need to be establishing some babyface challengers rather than turning more people heel? 

Blindfold Pac? That'd be an interesting gimmick. 

What's the point of crowning the interim champion for 2 weeks? Presumably it Sammy was supposed to win the title back so they could have thid match with Garcia in order to keep the Kingston/Jericho thing moving.  I like that they booed when Cody was announced. 

Jericho & Eddie being ringside for the main event to ok some of the focus off the match at the beginning to me. Garcia and his socks have a good future. I like his technical style, and he's good at getting heat. 

Not a bad episode, but it does feel like they're a bit lost at the moment. Maybe it's because some of their angles have only just started. I'm sure when things find their feet a little more business will pick up as we get closer to Revolution. 

• Paid Members

It is weird that Hangman needs a heel challenger who he can have a great TV match with and they’ve chosen Lance Archer whilst Andrade is doing next to nothing. I like that they’ve got so much talent that people can be phased in and out to save them getting stale but it’s crazy that someone like Andrade can have those belters against PAC, look like an absolute superstar, and then just fade away like nothing ever happened.

I did laugh at Jericho accidentally saying he wanted to take over the country. Clearly he and his wife have been reminiscing about last year’s January 6th.

Edited by Supremo

2 minutes ago, Supremo said:

It is weird that Hangman needs a heel challenger who he can have a great TV match with and they’ve chosen Lance Archer whilst Andrade is doing next to nothing. I like that they’ve got so much talent that people can be phased in and out to save them getting stale but it’s crazy that someone like Andrade can have those belters against PAC, look like an absolute superstar, and then just fade away like nothing ever happened.

Even worse if he ends up with Ric..

32 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Where was Jade Cargill defending the TBS title on its namesake network? It doesn't help with dispelling the (wrong) allegations of tokenism that were levelled at her after she won it, especially when they try and have a TNT title defence every week on one of the shows. A video package is well and good, but would the best way to showcase your new champion not be to have her defend it?

They definitely don't do that.

5 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I think thats a stretch. Which other fake cowboy in popular culture should he of referenced?

I think it's a stretch to suggest the intention wasn't to effectively say "you're gay, lol". He didn't need to reference anyone to accuse Page of being a fake cowboy. Regardless, the whole segment was odd and seemed completely random. The only way it'll make sense is if it's telegraphing Cody turning heel (with Lambert as his manager), and his intent is to break his pledge regarding the title, to go after Page. But realistically, that's not happening. 

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

I’m convinced that’s why AEW is feeling so stale and stilted at the moment. Too many backstage attacks, too many lights-out surprises, too much bell-to-bell wrestling and not enough vignettes, character stuff and fun, backstage silliness.

The Acclaimed doing a daft Tik Tok taking the piss out of Sting and Darby’s black and white student movies would’ve been amazing. Nothing worse in wrestling than when a promotion tees up a fun idea then just doesn’t bother even trying.

Personally, I'm finding too many of their storylines disjointed and sluggish. Take Brodie King's debut. They aired that initial vignette, and then there was no talk about this mysterious new recruit at all, and then he suddenly appears. It would have been far more effective if they'd teased it, or referred to this mysterious man a little bit more. In the grand scheme of things, that's a minor point - but very few current storylines feel anything other than stationary. 

In addition, while I'm having a moan, there are far too many feuds that involve stars wrestling people who feel beneath them. Kingston/Jericho vs. 2.0 and Garcia, the House of Black vs. The Varsity Blondes, FTR vs. Lee Johnson and Brock Anderson, The Elite vs. The Best Friends, and even Sting/Darby vs. The Acclaimed and Adam Page vs. Lance Archer. In moderation, this would be fine, but when almost all of your feuds feel like interim storylines with predictable outcomes, it's a bit of a problem. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

They definitely don't do that.

They certainly defended it a lot though. It was certainly more than a video package and a mention in the Dark/Elevation result tickers. 

5 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

In addition, while I'm having a moan, there are far too many feuds that involve stars wrestling people who feel beneath them. Kingston/Jericho vs. 2.0 and Garcia, the House of Black vs. The Varsity Blondes, FTR vs. Lee Johnson and Brock Anderson, The Elite vs. The Best Friends, and even Sting/Darby vs. The Acclaimed and Adam Page vs. Lance Archer. In moderation, this would be fine, but when almost all of your feuds feel like interim storylines with predictable outcomes, it's a bit of a problem. 

Kingston/Jericho vs. 2.0 and Garcia - seems to be more about setting up Jericho/Kingston

House of Black vs. The Varsity Blondes - part of establishing the House of Black and who's overall focus looks to be on Death Triangle.

The Elite vs. The Best Friends - SuperKliq v. Undisputed Era tug of war

Adam Page vs. Lance Archer - Hangman's just battled Danielson in his first couple of defenses. It really doesn't hurt to give him the classic monster v. babyface match up before heading into the PPV.

2 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

They certainly defended it a lot though. It was certainly more than a video package and a mention in the Dark/Elevation result tickers. 

The TBS title has been around a grand total of a week. They had the match on last week's Dynamite, the Eliminator on Dark, Layla Hirsch tease looking for a title shot if I remember right and the video package this week. I'm sure Jade will have her first defense soon enough.

4 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Kingston/Jericho vs. 2.0 and Garcia - seems to be more about setting up Jericho/Kingston

House of Black vs. The Varsity Blondes - part of establishing the House of Black and who's overall focus looks to be on Death Triangle.

The Elite vs. The Best Friends - SuperKliq v. Undisputed Era tug of war

Adam Page vs. Lance Archer - Hangman's just battled Danielson in his first couple of defenses. It really doesn't hurt to give him the classic monster v. babyface match up before heading into the PPV.

That's my point though - they're mostly interim/bridging storylines. In moderation that would be fine, but if (almost) everything you're doing is about setting something else up, it feels tedious. If there was clear progression each week, it would be more tolerable - but they're dragging things out to the point that you end up feeling, at best, more than ready for them to get to the end destination, or, at worst, bored. 

25 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I think it's a stretch to suggest the intention wasn't to effectively say "you're gay, lol". He didn't need to reference anyone to accuse Page of being a fake cowboy. Regardless, the whole segment was odd and seemed completely random. The only way it'll make sense is if it's telegraphing Cody turning heel (with Lambert as his manager), and his intent is to break his pledge regarding the title, to go after Page. But realistically, that's not happening. 

Personally, I'm finding too many of their storylines disjointed and sluggish. Take Brodie King's debut. They aired that initial vignette, and then there was no talk about this mysterious new recruit at all, and then he suddenly appears. It would have been far more effective if they'd teased it, or referred to this mysterious man a little bit more. In the grand scheme of things, that's a minor point - but very few current storylines feel anything other than stationary. 

Tell you what Roost, sprinkle in some CM Punk to that last paragraph and I could see us being best buds for life.

Also, to @Supremo’s point… Lance Archer… what’s Miro up to these days?

Edited by d-d-d-dAz