AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

The TBS title has been around a grand total of a week. They had the match on last week's Dynamite, the Eliminator on Dark, Layla Hirsch tease looking for a title shot if I remember right and the video package this week. I'm sure Jade will have her first defense soon enough.

Why would you have an eliminator? Why not have it be open challenge like the TNT title? 

2 hours ago, 2Xtreme_lives said:

I still enjoy AEW each week and look forward to it but do you think we were so spoilt in the first year and the covid 1st year of shows with the quality and how much better is was than WWE that we now want more each week than just good wrestling

The show is still a good watch each week but agree it needs so more "stories" not this group vs this group, interruption backstage and thats it

AEW had a shit ton of momentum and hot shows week after week a lot more recently than that. I'd say spring/summer of last year through to Full Gear, they basically didn't miss, every single week. It has absolutley lost a lot of that since Full Gear - they've had some great matches and a few good and/or fun moments, but the show-long feeling of "almost all of this is fucking great" has been lost. Probably because they've lost Mox and Omega, partly. I'm not someone who thinks they should have all their top, top stars and best bell-to-bell wrestlers on the show every week, because that isn't how they do things and the way they cycle talent is a good way of doing things, overall. It's just this latest "cycle" either hasn't gotten anywhere near it's peak yet or maybe just isn't going to reach the heights of previous cycles. I mean, I'd love a show every week where it's all the top boys like Pac, Andrade, Punk, Danielson, Hangman, Omega, Mox, FTR, the Bucks, Penta, Fenix, Malakai, HOOK, etc. Those would make for a great couple of months of shows. Then we'd all be bitching about the constant rematches we see elsewhere.

As far as Punk/Wardlow goes, I would have rathered they had Punk about to beat Wardlow and then have MJF lay out Wardlow from behind to give Punk the DQ loss but I didn't hate what they actually did. That video package for Wardlow prior to the match was great.

Is David Crockett just going to be at every show now to hand the belt to whoever wins the TNT title match? That's like three in a row, isn't it? I also thought the crowd was largely shite this week, which takes a lot away from the shows - although, I can't 100% blame them when they're watching the likes of Matt Hardy Tin Man his way around the ring, hometown boy or not.

Edited by 69MeDon

Daniel Garcia stole the show this week. He's fantastic.

Match-wise I thought this was a decent show. I don't mind them calming things down and putting out a show of regular tv style matches. I said last week that their matches are usually too excessive and risky for TV wrestling, so I don't mind them pulling things back a bit.

But yeah, TK's booking tropes are getting very tedious now. They could really do with new voices/a refresh...

Also, they're doing their shows a major disservice with the shitty sound mixing and arena lighting. Look back at their 2019 shows. So much more bright and vibrant than their current drab looking set up.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I just remembered that Jay fucking Lethal was back on TV, why are they just swapping Dante around the roster like that?

Presumably in the hopes that eventually one of them helps him get over. 

• Paid Members

Every booker has a time limit before they get burnt out, feels like Tony Khan is already out of ideas. Does he book these shows via EWR? Feels like someone needs to get a handle on things and give this amazing roster some direction and development, almost everyone feels a bit lost.

Edited by LaGoosh

1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

Every booker has a time limit before they get burnt out, feels like Tony Khan is already out of ideas. Does he book these shows via EWR? Feels like someone needs to get a handle on things and give this amazing roster some direction and development. 

Well.. he has said this his current roster is very similar to his rosters on EWR etc so probably. Do you think he'll ever let someone else help with the booking again?

• Paid Members

I think the saddest thing about AEW right now is that as the roster has grew and they’ve signed more and more incredible wrestlers, they’ve seemingly got more and more stingy in terms of putting the big matches on free TV.

When they used to run down next week’s matches there’d always be two or three that really tickled my fancy. That’s happening less and less. It’s almost always a weird combination of superstar vs. young lion. I understand the thought process behind it, they’ve made stars out of their original four pillars so are looking for the next set of guys, but I don’t remember feeling so uninspired by the TV when the MJFs, Jungle Boys, Guervaras and Darbys were being built up. It’s like they’ve decided on about seventeen new pillars and about eighty percent of the show is seeing which ones work.

I’m all for building for the future, but if that’s all you’re doing? Where’s the incentive to not skip the next three months?

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

I wonder whether he'll reach out to Gabe Sapolsky now that he's available, even if it's just to say "this is where I want to end up in (x) months, can you help me get there?" 

I don't mean to drag it back up but totally agree that the Punk/Wardlow thing was a mess that made everyone involved look shit or stupid.

When Wardlow hit the 4th or 5th powerbomb I was like 'wow, so this is Punk's first defeat.' I wasn't sure it was the right decision but I admired the boldness. What actually happened was a bottle job that made everyone weaker. I imagine the crowd may have turned on it had the arena been full.

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I wonder whether he'll reach out to Gabe Sapolsky now that he's available, even if it's just to say "this is where I want to end up in (x) months, can you help me get there?" 

He probably called Gabe on day 1 and cried down the phone about how much he loves him. There's no way he hasn't been in touch.

I struggle remember what’s happening on each show as so much is the same or getting repeated. The show was much easier to follow when it wasn’t trying to make stories for too many at once