AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members

Loads of AEW contracts coming due around Royal Rumble time is exciting. You would think WWE would try and bring guys in simply for the optics of someone jumping to them rather than exclusively running away.

What I’m trying to say is I hope WWE throw billions at Jericho.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

I can see a lot of the lower card quietly being let go.

A lot of the contracts for the first batch of signings are coming up and it's likely that a lot of them won't be renewed. The lower card dead weight will probably all be moving on. Guys like Jack Evans, Angelico, Kip Sabian etc. must either already be out the door or very shortly being shown the door.

Personally I always had a soft spot for Avalon and thought he was a pretty fun jobber.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

A lot of the contracts for the first batch of signings are coming up and it's likely that a lot of them won't be renewed. The lower card dead weight will probably all be moving on. Guys like Jack Evans, Angelico, Kip Sabian etc. must either already be out the door or very shortly being shown the door.

Isn’t it Kip who’s been making subtle appearances in the crowd, with the cardboard box on his head? I’ve no idea what the gimmick is but I assumed it was the start of something rather than him being on his way out. I always get a kick of stuff like that, fun blink-and-you-miss-it easter eggs, so hopefully it’s leading somewhere.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Personally I always had a soft spot for Avalon and thought he was a pretty fun jobber.

Yeah, Avalon was the kind of jobber I’d have liked to stay on. Kip maybe ok due to Penelope Ford (and you’re correct @Supremo). But I can see Marko Stunt, the aforementioned Hybrid 2, Abadon, Kaz, Janella, Ryan Nemith, Brian Cage and Serpentico disappearing.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

8 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Yeah, Avalon was the kind of jobber I’d have liked to stay on. Kip maybe ok due to Penelope Ford (and you’re correct @Supremo). But I can see Marko Stunt, the aforementioned Hybrid 2, Abadon, Kaz, Janella, Ryan Nemith, Brian Cage and Serpentico disappearing.

Jack Evans made his first appearance in AEW for a while at the weekend Dark tapings. Janela, Abadon, Serpentico, Nemeth were there as well. That's not an indicator of anything since Peter Avalon was there as well.

I'm not sure Ryan Nemeth ever got the #AllElite tag. Their roster page isn't always accurate, but it's usually been a good guide for those actually signed rather than PPA. Other than Peter Avalon none of the Wingmen (Nemeth, Bozoni, and JD Drake) have been listed on the roster that i've noticed.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Loads of AEW contracts coming due around Royal Rumble time is exciting. You would think WWE would try and bring guys in simply for the optics of someone jumping to them rather than exclusively running away.

What I’m trying to say is I hope WWE throw billions at Jericho.

I think I read that Jericho had a 4 year deal, so still has a year left? 

Edit: it's a 3 year deal with an option for an extra year extension. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

Work rate wankers in; actual characters who propped up the company during its pandemic out. I know it's only Peter Avalon, but if you can't find a place for him but will happily part a chunk of change for a CAW like Nese, then I don't think you'll be the company for me in 6 months. Hangman's title win never felt like more of a sea change, and not in a good way.

Don’t think there are that many about to expire this month, was only the people who appeared at the press conference who signed in January. Then you got signings around may, then august through October for tv starting. Then you have  those who have been staggered, or started on the ten dates contract then got pulled in. They don’t seem to be like new Japan with contracts jan-December. Jericho signed his day of the press conference, so that we can see him on tv means He’s with us for another year sadly 

• Paid Members

it wouldn't surprise me to see the likes of Peter Avalon still pop up on Dark as an independent guy, even if he's not strictly under contract.

I hope they don't go the way of NXT and become too "workrate" centric at the expense of some of the more interesting wrestlers they have under contract - Avalon's no great loss, but I'd sooner keep him around than Jay Lethal - but I think, as much as Tony Khan's tastes definitely lean towards mid-00s ROH, they have a sense of needing varied fare across the card, so I don't think it'll get that bad. Nor are they, despite some criticisms to the contrary, falling into the TNA trap of hiring every ex-WWE talent that comes on the market - while the likes of Tony Nese are maybe a head-scratcher as anything other than Dark fodder, most of the ex-WWE talent that have come in have a purpose, fit into the ongoing storylines, and have something to offer, and there's loads more viable names they haven't scooped up - TNA in their position would have put the belt on Wyatt or Strowman by now.

The other thing I think will come into focus is exactly what they intend Dark to be moving forward - I think the days of Dark being a marathon card with a ton of wrestlers they don't have under contract will likely slow to a halt; a lot of that seemed to be forced by the pandemic, as a way to keep some wrestlers working, and to keep an eye on talent they're interested in. With more opportunities for wrestlers to work indie shows, and AEW back on the road, I suspect a lot of people who, this time last year, would have been on Dark will now get a more informal "keep up the good work, we're keeping our eyes on you" agreement, and Dark will be a mixture of AEW lower carders and a handful of local talent. I may be wrong, but I think that's something that will redress the balance more and more as contracts start coming up.