AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

I *hate* roster splits. The OG WWE brand split was about when I tapped out of watching their shows reguarly. I can't stand them. Plus, I'm not sure you'd get many of the perceived benefits of a roster split by half the roster being on a 1-hour show at 10pm on a Friday.

• Paid Members

Bryan Danielson is the best. Spent four months getting as many finishers as possible over, all so Hangman could counter and kick out of all of them. This is exactly what Hangman needed. Put over as a superstar in an absolutely phenomenal match. Five stars. Headbutt city. Page is great and more than held his own but Danielson is legitimately one of the best of all time. Can you even imagine this run when all is said and done? He’s the greatest. I’ll never ever get over WWE having this man on their roster and thinking the best use of him was a best of seventy nine against Jey Uso.

Biggest thing on the show was that Fenix injury though. Fucking hell. I nearly broke my neck just trying to turn away from watching it after the first replay. Horrific. Hopefully he’s okay. I was happy to see my man Jungle Jack get the big win but it was hard to really enjoy it after watching Fenix’s arm go full Sid. 

Jade Cargill would have been my choice as TBS Chanpion but there’s no denying these past two weeks have kind of exposed her. All the potential in the world, but it completely fell apart both times she went long. Still a long way to go.

Fun back and forth between Punk and MJF. Wardlow’s gonna shake Punk’s hand, isn’t he? It’s happening! Aren’t they in Wardlow’s hometown soon? I hope he Powerbombs MJF at least twenty times.

Did you hear that pop when they put the graphic up for HOOK wrestling on Rampage? This kid is it

Chris Jericho on the other hand is an embarrassing mess. It’s hard to believe this is the same guy who was carrying the promotion at the start. That “square head, pin head!” shtick was some of the lamest shit I’ve ever seen on Dynamite. Capped off by Jericho seemingly colouring in his own hairline with a magic marker or boot polish. It’s mad, but as we reach the point where a large number of contracts are supposedly coming due, where it’s likely they’ll trim the fat, I’d have serious thoughts about whether to re-sign Jericho. He feels completely unnecessary in 2022.

Edited by Supremo

Jericho felt right at the start, and carried a lot of clout few others did. But there’s a Reason working in short spells the last ten years kept him entertaining.  3 years straight has emptied him of everything we want to see 

Edited by Louch

• Paid Members

Jericho is basically doing house show comedy skits but unfortunately he's doing them on their flagship TV show. Awful scenes. Also had he coloured in the front of his hair line to make it look thicker? He carried AEW for those first two years but his time is up now, he's got to go.

Hangman/Danielson...doesn't get much better than that. Incredible match and performance from both.

Really enjoyed MJF/Punk bit, felt like they got the story back on track. And another great squash from Wardlow. The show felt like it fell off a cliff after that though, everything else was pretty bad. But when you're getting matches the caliber of Hangman/Danielson it doesn't matter too much. No idea who Hangmans next challenger is at this point.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

The thing with Jericho at the start is the clout he held by just being in a mainstream North American company outside of WWE after years of turning down TNA and saying he would never work anywhere other than for Daddy Vince. For AEW to pull Jericho in before they had even gotten going was a massive get and gave them credence other than the indie stars and Cody. 

Jericho has now outstayed his welcome, something that seemed rare for him a few years ago. Jericho was the master of reinvention, yet the only thing he is reinventing these days is his hairline. He will go scurrying back to WWE for the nice cushy payday and to play with his Trump follower pals. 

• Paid Members

The thing is, Jericho when he announced had the impact it needed to. One of the biggest wrestlers in the world by name value was going to help launch this new company full of people that aren’t familiar to an American audience. It worked, but what the last 2 years have proved is that your MJF’s, your Sammy’s, your Jungle Boys of the wrestling world are now known. Plus getting Mox, Punk and Danielson are arguably as big, if not bigger draws now then Jericho. If he disappears tomorrow, his loss will have absolute minimal impact.

Speaking of which, the world title fight. A MOTY Contender already. The fact they had a 60 minute TLD only a few weeks back which was a classic, only to have arguably had a better match in half the time. Danielson made Page look the star we saw him as. 

Jade winning is the right result, has been from the start. Her Storm gear was great. But she’s still really green and she needs to pick up those gaps.

The Tag titles was an odd match. Pacing at times felt off, not sure why. But the injury to Fenix was absolutely disgusting. We won’t be having that rematch anytime soon. But I liked the visual of all the other tag teams on the stage at the end. Impressive when you consider no Bucks there as well. Shows how strong that division is. Just great to see Jungle Boy with a title. 

Just want to echo the sentiments on Danielson. My word what a wrestler. This run has been amazing. It will be interesting to see where he goes now. Part of me wanted him to win it as I felt a short heel Bryan run with the belt would have been great, but makes sense for Page who looked like a star out there as well.

The rest was decent to good. MJF/Punk was nice. Jericho was what he was. The one thing Jericho is good at is reinventing himself as something new. He needs to do that sharpish again.

Hangman v. Danielson was great. It will be interesting to see where they both go after this assuming it's over. Mox and Miro potentially waiting in the wings.

Showing Jade's kid in attendance before the match started telegraphed the result for me. Jade's green as grass but has the look of a star. If the TBS title goes the way of an open challenge type format like TNT could be a way to throw people at her with some experience. Having Mercedes Martinez running interference will work better than the Britt & Jamie pairing.

Everyone was expecting a Brody King appearance when the lights went out. Surprised it never happened.

Poor Rey Fenix. The live shot didn't show how bad it was, but you could tell with his reaction it was bad. Then those replays 😟

I don't think it will surprise anyone to learn Jericho has been taking some tips from Rudy Guiliani.

Those 2.0 lads don't do it for me. 'Squarehead' looks like a toddler doing an impersonation of a wrestler.

Danielson/Page was superb. Danielson is the best wrestler ever and i'm not actually sure it's very close... he gave Hangman absolutely everything in that match. Tremendous.

Thought they spent too much time after that match forward selling other shows, when I thought they were going to try and just cement their arrival on TBS. But, still, everything was pretty good.

I thought it was weird hearing MJF sell 'Mania, but Punk boxed it in beautifully so it all made sense and they told a pretty good story.

It was weird to have Penta/Rey come out before the main event during the Black sequence, only to go back and then do their entrance. Even weirder when the lights randomly went out during the main event.

The injury was intense. I can't believe they showed the replay twice at the time, once at the end and then put the video on YouTube before someone clocked and they made efforts to pull it. Insane. I saw it in real time.

I'm not saying it contributed to the injury necessarily, but not releasing the chokeslam felt weird as they were doing it.

Good show. I can't trust a thing Malakai Black does though as he's carrying the scent of Wyatt all over him. Every time lights go out I expect to see Bray turn up. When the lights went out in the main event I half expected it then, setting them up as a spooky boys tag team.

I'm capable of as much Cornettery as the next man, but i'm not sure that's fair on that spot. They'd built that up like Jungle Boy and Rey were having a pissing contest about who was the most athletic, it wasn't meant to be an organic offensive manouvre.

Far worst a sin was later in the match when Jungle Boy hit a SUPER DUPER UBER DESTROYER and Fenix was up, i'd say, within 6 seconds.

One thing I forgot to praise earlier was the commentary in the world title match. That was an example of everyone involved in that match being at their absolute best and covering any potential cracks. Schiavone in particular was superb - the way he called Bryan's transition from arm work to focusing on the head as potentially a mistake and an act over excitedness at the sight of blood was absolutely brilliant and completely killed any 'BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ARM' criticisms from dickheads like me. Just glorious.