AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I'm not sure many people will agree with me here, but I honestly wouldn't be against some form of roster split.

Absolutely no way. A roster split has never worked and they are always bad. 

Really they just need a bit of clear out of some of the dead waste, stop hiring new guys for the next 12 months and stop giving TV time to acts either going nowhere (Brian Pillmam, the Nightmare Family), stale (Dan Lambert) or outright terrible (Cody, half the women), tighten up some of the production to remove dead air moments and shorten most the TV matches (not every match should or needs to be over 10 minutes). Do this and they should have just enough time to give talent the spotlight but not enough to overexpose them.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

Keith Lee seemed like a lock for a major WWE career - just those few minutes in there with Lesnar showed he had the gravitas to be the man.  No idea what happened - he's had health issues right?

Nevertheless - there are TOO MANY people on the AEW roster, particularly ones who I imagine expect themselves to be main eventers.

I have zero interest in WWE 'legends' in AEW. All it does is make AEW feel like a tribute act. The whole appeal, for me at least, is AEW as an alternative option.

12 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Really they just need a bit of clear out of some of the dead waste, stop hiring new guys for the next 12 months and stop giving TV time to acts either going nowhere (Brian Pillmam, the Nightmare Family), stale (Dan Lambert) or outright terrible (Cody, half the women), tighten up some of the production to remove dead air moments and shorten most the TV matches (not every match should or needs to be over 10 minutes). Do this and they should have just enough time to give talent the spotlight but not enough to overexpose them.

Agree about long matches. There’s a sweet spot somewhere between a 2 minute squash and a 20 minute back and forth battle that they don’t seem overly interested in finding. 

2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

When he's talking about a "dream signing", I can't imagine it'll be anyone other than a legend. My guess would be, unfortunately, that he feels like enough time has passed for them to bring Ric Flair in. 

Given Battle of the Belts and next weeks Dynamite/Rampage are both in North Carolina, it would point to Flair.

• Paid Members

Imagine if Tommy Dreamer is off TV longer than Flair following the Darkside episode. That would just go to show that punishment in wrestling is dependent on your star power. Most of the wrestling news outlets are constantly talking about whatever thing Flair has said each week to keep his name out there without any comment to him being a wrong un so it wouldn't surprise me to see him weasel his way back on TV. Although, I thought Andrade and Charlotte had broken up?

34 minutes ago, Chili said:

If they do a roster split or bring in an Evil GM I'll probably tap out of wrestling altogether. I just want something a little different. Not a mass brawl of Rampage/Dynamite shirts. 

Rampage vs Dynamite Rumble where they're both forced to listen to each other's theme songs on loop until someone taps out.

THIS IS RAMPAGE

DYNAMITE

THIS IS RAMPAGE

DYNAMITE

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Although, I thought Andrade and Charlotte had broken up?

She had apparently posted something on Instagram over the festive period hinting that they hadn't and in Andrade's latest workout video you see in the mirror that it's Charlotte taking the video.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CYUODpOpMkh/?utm_medium=copy_link

Edited by Suplex Sinner

5 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

For WWE, I think it has worked. Both WWE roster splits have made stars out of people who otherwise may not have become stars - or at the very least, not stars at a main event level. Would, for example, Daniel Bryan have become such a big star had it not been for that initial heel run as World Heavyweight Champion on Smackdown? Would AJ Styles have ever held a world title in WWE? How would CM Punk have fared without that initial run on ECW? Would John Cena, Randy Orton and Batista all have emerged as massive stars? And if they had, what would that have meant for the likes of Edge and Chris Jericho, and their runs as top heel characters? Obviously this isn't a problem for AEW, but if there was no brand split at the moment, you'd be looking at five hours of same-roster WWE programming each week. That would be hell to watch. 

12 minutes ago, Chili said:

If they do a roster split or bring in an Evil GM I'll probably tap out of wrestling altogether. I just want something a little different. Not a mass brawl of Rampage/Dynamite shirts. 

A split doesn't have to involve evil GMs, or a brand war. At it's simplest, it's a unique roster for each show; nothing more. There are ways of executing it that are far removed from the WWE-way. 

Ultimately, the purpose is to create opportunities - which it surely would. It would help AEW feature its women more, and diversify its roster. 

That said, I'm not necessarily advocating for a split - I simply wouldn't be against it. At the moment Rampage feels more like a burden than an asset, and I don't think that necessarily has to be the case. 

• Paid Members

He's talked about it being a dream signing but then called them North American, could it be Bandido? Tony seems to like those younger, more technically gifted wrestlers who can be the future in most cases and with ROH being the mess it currently is, he's one of the few from there I'd like to see end up in AEW doing something. 

Ultimately, the purpose is to create opportunities - which it surely would. It would help AEW feature its women more, and diversify its roster. 

That said, I'm not necessarily advocating for a split - I simply wouldn't be against it. At the moment Rampage feels more like a burden than an asset, and I don't think that necessarily has to be the case. 

Right now the majority of the time Dynamite & Rampage are taped on the same night. It works as a natural split as wrestling wise it's very rare to have someone pull double duty. Even when taping on different nights they will have different wrestlers competing.

Adding an extra hour to Rampage with their booking style would have the same effect as a brand split. AKA more time to showcase talents. Without creating an artificial divide.

As for Rampage feeling like a burden. I find it an easy hour of often enjoyable wrestling. A bit like when Dark started out before COVID hit. Bumping it to 2 hours and trying to treat is as equal to Dynamite. That'd feel like a burden to me.

• Paid Members

But AEW only has 3 hours of TV per week, not 5, and no one ever appears on both Dynamite and Rampage in one week so what opportunities would it create?

And how is Rampage a burden? It's a fun little show most weeks.

Edited by LaGoosh

40 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

As for Rampage feeling like a burden. I find it an easy hour of often enjoyable wrestling. A bit like when Dark started out before COVID hit. Bumping it to 2 hours and trying to treat is as equal to Dynamite. That'd feel like a burden to me.

20 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

But AEW only has 3 hours of TV per week, not 5, and no one ever appears on both Dynamite and Rampage in one week so what opportunities would it create?

And how is Rampage a burden? It's a fun little show most weeks.

At this point it becomes subjective, but for me, Rampage is a mix of the odd genuinely exciting moment/angle, and utterly inconsequential filler. If the genuinely exciting moments (eg. Punk's debut, Punk/Kingston, Omega/Christian, Sammy/Cody, Hook's debut) and had them happen on Dynamite instead, it would automatically make the already good Dynamite even better. 

And I wouldn't have to find time on a Saturday morning - when I'm generally pretty busy - to watch bloody Rampage. I don't think either of you had considered that important point 😉

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

is a mix of the odd genuinely exciting moment/angle, and utterly inconsequential filler

I mean that's how I'd describe 99% of every episode of wrestling I've ever seen to be fair. But I get your point.