AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

For me it was always going to have a good grace period of a few years where the excitement levels and new people coming in etc was paramount in giving the fans something enjoyable. The tougher period for Tony and co was always going to be after that. What is it exactly that he wants to do? Does he want to be friends with everyone and give them a job and fulfill his boyhood dreams as a wrestling fan? Does he want to snatch everyone away from WWE? Does he want to put on a consistent and coherent product? He's all over the place at the moment.

I don't think they were ever going to be able to maintain such a high quality forever. That's just asking too much. But I think it's reasonable to expect something slightly better than what they've been doing recently overall.

The issue appears to be now that he has access to talent that he really wanted to feel part of the business (Punk, Regal, Danielson & the recent NXT guys etc.) so he's stepping away from what gave them a point of difference in the first place that was bringing through talent that wasn't getting an opportunity elsewhere. 

Every time I watch it always seems a bit of a hotch potch. That's grand when it's dynamic and flying but when there's more misses than hits then it all looks a bit Russo era Nitro. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Nick James said:

I'm convinced there would be people who would thank Tony Khan if he took a shit in the middle of the street.

image.png.0a113b007476f9d848417b24cddba7d0.png

I am making an assumption here, but surely, if anything it would be WM telling AEW this and not the other way round?

31 minutes ago, kieranjennings said:

The issue appears to be now that he has access to talent that he really wanted to feel part of the business (Punk, Regal, Danielson & the recent NXT guys etc.) so he's stepping away from what gave them a point of difference in the first place that was bringing through talent that wasn't getting an opportunity elsewhere. 

Every time I watch it always seems a bit of a hotch potch. That's grand when it's dynamic and flying but when there's more misses than hits then it all looks a bit Russo era Nitro. 

Nope to the first part, people criticising Khan for bringing in legit top level names is just stupid (and who have added to the product by the way) And that last comparison is ridiculous.

If he isn't already, then it's time for Tony K to start delegating. It's mad that both WWE and AEW appear to live and die by the direction of one guy at the top for day-to-day running. The company I work for has a CEO, but he's not putting together daily work plans and testing new machinery; he has a team of department heads for that. It's a running joke that Vince surrounds himself with yes men, but at least having a team of trusted advisors reduces his required input to yesses and nos (anything else is on him, his micromanagement and the toxic culture he's allowed to fester).

With a bloated roster, key network business deals, and attempting multiple interpromotional projects, it's taken just a month for things to come apart at the seams. It was always coming eventually, but instead of a steady decline, it's been a sheer drop.

He needs to start compartmentalising and being less hands-on (if what we hear is to be believed). If the shows are still being booked by division leads, then they need a kicking to get things back on track, or cycling out for a new team for a 'season' or two.

I love the idea of Little Tone fulfilling his dream and getting to play in a wrestling sandbox, but there's a balance to be made between that and professionally managing a televised company with hundreds of on-screen employees. If he wants to give everyone a job, then he needs to review his product and start individually branding and allocating resources so he isn't the be-all and end-all of all decisions while still ensuring each show has a clear direction. A clear issue like Jeff should not be allowed to slip through the cracks, and those cracks need dealing with ASAP before they have a scandal on their hands.

43 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Nope to the first part, people criticising Khan for bringing in legit top level names is just stupid (and who have added to the product by the way) And that last comparison is ridiculous.

He's right to bring them in certainly but it feels like he's getting to be the big time promoter now by having them rather than having a focused plan for what he's going to do with them all. Look how quickly Page dropped out of focus as soon as Punk arrived for example

1 hour ago, CavemanLynn said:

If he isn't already, then it's time for Tony K to start delegating. It's mad that both WWE and AEW appear to live and die by the direction of one guy at the top for day-to-day running. The company I work for has a CEO, but he's not putting together daily work plans and testing new machinery; he has a team of department heads for that. It's a running joke that Vince surrounds himself with yes men, but at least having a team of trusted advisors reduces his required input to yesses and nos (anything else is on him, his micromanagement and the toxic culture he's allowed to fester).

With a bloated roster, key network business deals, and attempting multiple interpromotional projects, it's taken just a month for things to come apart at the seams. It was always coming eventually, but instead of a steady decline, it's been a sheer drop.

He needs to start compartmentalising and being less hands-on (if what we hear is to be believed). If the shows are still being booked by division leads, then they need a kicking to get things back on track, or cycling out for a new team for a 'season' or two.

Tony Sniff already does that with his proper business, Big Daddy Shaddy does the same with the sports teams, but AEW is his plaything. Because he has people in positions across his and the families other business interests, he can do this as a vanity / fantasy project and control it all he likes. I hope it stays that way to be honest because otherwise it’ll become yet another entertainment company run by consensus. Let Tony Sniff go full Tony Montana and tell the world to suck his balls if they don’t like it I say. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

Feels like the Jeff Hardy stuff should be a thread of its own, but its been reported that not only was he drink driving, he was driving on a suspended licence and also violations of restrictions which are supposedly a interlock kit attached to the car that means he has to breathalyse himself before driving (Which sounds so strange). 

https://cultaholic.com/posts/further-details-on-jeff-hardy-s-dui-arrest

I want a vote on Tony Sniff being his new name, christ @Keith Houchen

Also some people in here should probably give AEW a break for a few weeks like I did, keep a bit of attention but cycle out, like social media. 

I also think Jeff Hardy is a fucking idiot, Matt Hardy has always been a yay-hoo and I don't really blame the promoters that much, they've done and will do worse. Not that is justifies it. Jeff Hardy is a very good at being a bad addict. 

38 minutes ago, gmoney said:

He won the title after Punk joined. Weird point. 

But he wasn't the focus of the show anymore once he got there. He'd had all the build to get there and once he did then rather than establish him he became a secondary figure - that's how it came across to me anyway. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, kieranjennings said:

But he wasn't the focus of the show anymore once he got there. He'd had all the build to get there and once he did then rather than establish him he became a secondary figure - that's how it came across to me anyway. 

I'd argue they were justified in not putting the focus on Page, given outside of some good matches, he fumbled stepping up to be a champion. I didn't see a promo of his that made me think "wow, I wish we had more of that". 

I also don't think Punk had more focus than say, MJF or Adam Cole. 

• Paid Members

Call him Little Tone, call him Tony Sniff, call him what you want, but nothing will ever be funnier than the massive Tony Khan Wanks Dogs banner and his reaction to it. I showed my mate it for the first time the other week and he was in tears.