AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

This was certainly a step up from last week, and hopefully things will pick up further was the New Japan stuff is out of the way. I don’t feel remotely invested in any of it, it feels so inconsequential, even considering the fact an interim World Champion is being crowned.

The PPV feels like it’s getting in the way of the stuff that actually matters, like the MJF storyline. If they had no intention of following that up immediately, they were as well as to hold off on it until Forbidden Door was done. 

It was nice to see Christian finally turn heel. He’s gone from being the most over-hyped AEW wrestler, to the most under-utilised. Hopefully he’ll be able to bring Jungle Boy to the next level.

Seeing the reaction that Sammy got joining the JAS made me feel like they missed a trick by not having him keep the TNT title, before dropping it to Wardlow. While I’m sure the crowd will be happy to see him (presumably) defeat Scorpio Sky, they’ve kind of thrown away a red-hot match by failing to take this route.

Had to skim watch as going into the office today, but Jay white being totally dismissive of Adam Cole, and showing ups his sub par nxt surprised face up for the shite it is makes it a great show for me 

57 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

That was a great show. Anytime you have me interested in Jericho is doing you have won. Loved it. 

While he's problematic from a political point-of-view, for me, Jericho is almost always one of the most interesting characters on the AEW roster. The JAS has been a bit of a blip, but the involvement of Sammy and Tay should hopefully heat that stable up. 

1 hour ago, Louch said:

Had to skim watch as going into the office today, but Jay white being totally dismissive of Adam Cole, and showing ups his sub par nxt surprised face up for the shite it is makes it a great show for me 

I've heard that Jay White is one of the best promos in wrestling, but I've found him fairly unspectacular during his (admittedly brief) AEW appearances. What should I watch that I've not seen as evidence to the contrary? 

• Paid Members

Glad to see the Wardlow angle with Smart Mark wrapped up neatly. The pinfalls were suspect but it was still fun.
Thought that Matt Hughes UFC guy looked worse for wear so I looked him up, poor lad was in a car accident with a train. Looked a bit further down on his Wikipedia and he's also an abusive wife beater but I'm sure it's ok and Tony has looked at some texts or something.

Edited by FelatioLips

Enjoyed the show. Only part I skipped through was the Mox & Tanahashi face to face as it had little interest in it. Ended up in the middle of a JAS beatdown with Archer and El Desperado and being very confused by what must have happened.

The stream I watched included the PiP ads and Sonny Kiss's pride advert was shown twice. Not only was it a bit repetitive since they've got a few of these taped. It was just a reminder Sonny hasn't been used on TV for years. Last thing I remember was Kenny destroying them in the World Title elminiator.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Not sure anyone in wrestling has had a worst 2 weeks than MJF, and that’s saying something.

With all the #drama, his bit of business seems to have been completely forgotten.

I mean...Jeff Hardy, for one.

I don't think MJF has been forgotten, I think they're playing into the worked shoot of it all by pretending that he's actually been taken off TV. He'll be a joker soon.

• Awards Moderator

Struggled to get into most of this episode as I’ve got no interest in Forbidden Door or New Japan. The AEW-centric bits were good, though - the “tosspot” discussion on commentary to build to Blood & Guts was funny, OC’s return got a great reaction, and the sudden but inevitable betrayal of Christian was effective. That match, when it happens, could be a cracker.

Excited for Forbidden Door to be over and done with.

Edit: Also, it was a JR line on commentary this week that made me finally understand that “spine on the pine” is referring to the wood that’s underneath the ring canvas. Somehow that has never clicked to me before. Idiot.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Thought the Wardlow match was a mess. Started off badly when the first 4 were announced as eliminated for being knocked off the apron. Then were eliminated again, legitimately. 

I don't understand why Sammy would disguise himself as Fuego if he was just going to reveal himself straight away. Apart from the fact it was clearly Sammy anyway 😂

These matches for Forbidden Door are just randomly being thrown together. What the fuck is that Yuta, Umino, Eddie team all about? 

Ospreay vs Dax was good. 

Thank fuck the belts are off JE. Looking forward to seeing how Christian/Jungle Boy pans out. 

9 minutes ago, Hartleyno9 said:

These matches for Forbidden Door are just randomly being thrown together. What the fuck is that Yuta, Umino, Eddie team all about? 

They’re all Mox’s mates in regards to Umino, Moxley took him under his wing in New Japan.

Having El Desperado turn up and just randomly become part of Jerichos stable was more random considering he’s not even part of that match. 

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Yeah, man, that Wardlow segment was absolutely dreadful, wasn't it? A horrible "match" that didn't make Wardlow look good, involved him pinning almost everyone wrong, and then had him squared up to by a Matt Hughes that could barely walk. Absolutely the worst thing they've done with him.

2 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Those weird eliminations just reminded me of WCW at it's worst when matches would end in the stupidest of ways.

Yeah reminded me of that match where Nash beat multiple people and didn't even bother trying to pin them the ref just counted 3 after a powerbomb