AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

This again, it's such a weird point and I don't understand why people keep bringing it up.

Imagine watching say, Eastenders. But you only watch 2/3s of the episodes each week and then have a moan because Phil Mitchell hasn't given you a rundown of everything that happened while you didn't watch.

Plenty of other shows have a "Previously On..." trail, though. And while Phil Mitchell might not outright tell the audience what they've missed, I imagine his dialogue still refers back to what happened in the previous episode, so that even the viewers watching every episode can be reminded of what's going on.

Also, Dynamite and Rampage are on different channels. TBS, if I remember correctly, is on basic cable and TNT is on more premium packages, so TBS is available in more households. So it would be more like watching Eastenders, but also having to watch an Eastenders spin-off on BBC4 to understand everything that was going on. 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

However, when the next PPV is an entire show built around stars from Japan, they need to do a lot more work to establish who these people are, why we should care, and why they're on the level of AEW top talent. Having NJPW guys just randomly interfere in matches or interrupt promos is edging dangerously close to modern Survivor Series booking, where suddenly everyone's mates in matching shirts because they "represent the same brand", rather than bothering with actual character dynamics.

Would it kill them to had a 30 second - 1 minute highlight reel of the big New Japan guys on each show? It wouldn't be difficult to find a few clips of Tanahashi looking good to wet people's appetite. 

Edited by gmoney

2 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Would it kill them to had a 30 second - 1 minute highlight reel of the big New Japan guys on each show? It wouldn't be difficult to find a few clips of Tanahashi looking good to wet people's appetite. 

As he’s in the country (presumably for some NJ Strong tapings), couldn’t he work a short match to show off his moves. He doesn’t even have to face a top guy, just someone solid. As Yuta’s back from Best of the Super Juniors, stick him in there with him and then Tanahashi has beaten Moxley’s stablemate en route to FD.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

As he’s in the country (presumably for some NJ Strong tapings), couldn’t he work a short match to show off his moves. He doesn’t even have to face a top guy, just someone solid. As Yuta’s back from Best of the Super Juniors, stick him in there with him and then Tanahashi has beaten Moxley’s stablemate en route to FD.

You could, but you'd get rid of the idea that PPV is the only way to see the big NJ stars. I'd rather a highlight reel of him in big arenas doing cool shit. His knees are fucking knackered too, so having him do an extra match is probably an unnecessary burden.

You know how we didn't need a video explaining Danhausen. 

You do actually need some BRIEF time to explain to people out of the shade who some of the NJPW are because there are a fair few of them popping up. Yeah you can look up one characters vlog, but another promotions lads require something for the minor casual wrestling viewer. Even something 30 seconds. Look at how Impact launched on Spike back when. They had these little videos just saying 'it's this'.

Praising old TNA, absolutely gone here. 

29 minutes ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

This again, it's such a weird point and I don't understand why people keep bringing it up.

Imagine watching say, Eastenders. But you only watch 2/3s of the episodes each week and then have a moan because Phil Mitchell hasn't given you a rundown of everything that happened while you didn't watch.

It's not a weird point at all. Rampage has a fraction of the audience that Dynamite has, and not everyone is going to be avidly following the company on social media. Had it not been for the UKFF, I genuinely would have missed this announcement myself. A recap or explanation takes very little time, avoids confusing people who're unaware of what happened, and also makes the event in question feel much bigger. Imagine if the show opened with a well edited video of Punk's announcement - and we know through the Road To shows that AEW can do this kind of thing well - followed by the announcers talking about it, paying tribute to Punk but also talking up that this means we're in for one hell of an important night. Then you have, the Battle Royale, the stakes both significant and clear. 

There's literally no harm at all in providing a recap, but there's real damage that can be caused by making some viewers feel out of the loop. Plus, recapping stuff makes it feel that much more important. 

• Paid Members

I didn't dislike this one as much as most, although the negative reactions may have lowered my expectations. One of those situations where I probably enjoyed it more for not being disappointed by surprises. It did feel like the most treading water of treading water episodes, and maybe one where some hotshotting should have happened. I reckon there's a whole load of political stuff going on at the moment which is contributing, and Tony's scared of damaging his future stories, so this one was a sacrifice - after all, hotshotting someone into a situation where they lose isn't great. At that point, might as well be Kyle O'Reilly, and just hope that wasn't what Khan genuinely thought was the most exciting possibility.

I'm really intrigued by Swerve being a sneaky shit to his mates in the Battle Royal, and that was by far and away my favourite bit of it. Liked the Pac/Buddy match a lot - both are great. And I didn't hate the Thunder Rosa/Shafir match - it wasn't great, but I didn't feel like they were building up Shafir either. She got the attack post-match, and got immediately put down. 

O'Reilly's frustrating as hell, because his matches really are good - but he carries himself like the most boring, vanilla guy in history, to the point where he's difficult to pay attention to. I have no idea how to change his presentation in a way that might work, but it's the worst in the company. Like, really, stick him in a mask and give him a colourful outfit and he might be decent. But he constantly looks like he's forgotten his gear and is just wearing something someone else left over.

Edited by Chris B

Ain't seen the Punk promo. Not addressing it on the main show is indefensible, and along with putting randoms in the Battle Royal instead of real stars, they've really undercut the importance of the title. Your main Champion has gone down and the top pushed contenders for the interim include...Kyle O Reilly and Hirooki Goto? Get fucked.

I get TK wanting to protect his top stars but he's taking the piss. I'm sure Page, Wardlow, Jericho etc can survive being tossed over the top rope.

The big names should be gunning for the big belt. Otherwise what's the point?

• Paid Members

the annoying thing is that there's always a justification for that sort of thing, if you put a moment's thought into it. Wardlow at least delivered a promo saying that he'd opted out of the match, they could have explained that certain people weren't eligible for whatever reason; maybe they already have a scheduled match for Forbidden Door, maybe they're not cleared to compete for whatever reason. There's ways around it. Hell, they could have gone down the route that WWE took on that episode of RAW with Jesse Ventura as guest host by saying that the match was all about opportunity and therefore only open to people who had never held a World Championship before. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Ain't seen the Punk promo. Not addressing it on the main show is indefensible, and along with putting randoms in the Battle Royal instead of real stars, they've really undercut the importance of the title. Your main Champion has gone down and the top pushed contenders for the interim include...Kyle O Reilly and Hirooki Goto? Get fucked.

I get TK wanting to protect his top stars but he's taking the piss. I'm sure Page, Wardlow, Jericho etc can survive being tossed over the top rope.

The big names should be gunning for the big belt. Otherwise what's the point?

I'm not sure there's a great win to be had here. It was a foregone conclusion that whoever won would lose to Mox. And that's bad, don't get me wrong - but after they already announced Mox as facing Tanahashi, then added this extra wrinkle, it was clear who was going to win. 

At which point, what do you have to gain by adding Page/Wardlow/Jericho, etc? If they get thrown over, they lose to a Kyle O'Reilly. If they win, they lose to Mox. 

Personally, my rationale for it is that this was Battle Royal aimed at the Rocky Balboas - the guys who aren't generally that high in the rankings. The higher you are in the rankings, the more losing it means (like, I genuinely think it should be counted as a loss for everyone who doesn't win), and you have to do double duty and take on the most dangerous guy in the company. For heels like Jericho, that's enough reason to give it a skip.

Page is upset that Mox got the by instead of him, but he's focusing on the NJPW title and Okada. Wardlow is playing the long game, and wants to build his way up there - the TNT title does work better for him right now. The guy who's the most likely to take the risk is Eddie, and he did (and got beaten up by his enemies for trying).

Personally, I'd probably have had Keith Lee win - but then, again, all he's going to do is lose to Mox anyway, so it's a bit of a shitshow whichever way.

The more I think about it, the more I believe this was entirely done to match NJPW's booking, and it's been complicated by the talks between the two companies - based on stuff that's been talked about before, Khan's likely to bend over backwards to show he's working with their interests at heart, because he's not had their trust before. So, if they decided to add the stip to the Goto match, they wanted AEW to do similar, so it didn't look like NJPW placed more interest on their belt than AEW did - and this all happened in the same week, which is why we got the inconsistent plans.

Either way, I'd love to find out what's going on behind the scenes right now.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Loads of coke is my guess. 

Haha, I saw a headline for an interview with Athena where it says she "talked about how amped Tony Khan was when she got backstage". 

Oh was he, aye?