Oasis: Just How Shit Were They?

Devon Malcolm

How shit were Oasis?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Nothing from the 90s was better than McAlmont & Butler's classic Yes. And if you come back at me, we'll have a right sort out in here. And you can pair up if you like. And you can pick someone else to help you. And you can bring your fucking dinner. Because by the time I'm done with you, you'll need it.

34 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Really? It’s so boring and dull, it just drones on and on and on forever without going anywhere and bores everyone to tears and

Oh, oh I see. 

You're too kind😘

Champagne Supernova is a nostalgia hit from college, much in the way that Guiding Star by Cast was from one of my first jobs. 

Edited by patiirc

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

Whiney, nasally shite.  How they made a fiver, never mind millions I will never know.  They think they are hard bastards, but there are 1001 storeys round south Manchester of they being a pair of shitehawks.  Burnage monkey-boys.  I rank them just higher than Phil Collins, and  trust me, that’s pretty fucking low.  Shit.

One of the reasons I’ve never taken them or their fans seriously. They thought they were the hard men of music when in reality it was handbags in the tabloids with Robbie Fucking Williams. 
Just arseholes with shite haircuts imo.

I was about 14 when Definitely, Maybe broke big and I remember getting beaten up at school for liking Oasis as well as other stuff. North East Pit Village Comprehensive Schools were very much a hive of 3 stripe trackies listening to happy hardcore around that time. Fast forward a year and by the time ....Morning Glory came out, the same fuckers are blaring out 'Don't look back in anger', fueled by White Lightning, from the back of their cousin's Corsa, and that largely was the audience Oasis retained as far I'm concerned.

I was well into Britpop/Indie as a whole around that time, but aside from a few albums, like 'Dog Man Star' and 'His and Hers', I find it almost unlistenable and ironically most of the stuff from that time that I listen to now tends to be American. Very little Britpop holds a candle to the two Belly albums, for instance.

• Paid Members

Britpop was fine until Kula Shaker showed up and fucked up everything. Oh and Gay Dad. Fuck that shit.

Some of it has endured, but a lot of it was of it's time bollocks. The fact The Beatles and The Kinks have stood the test of time while Blur, who I was a big fan of at the time, and Oasis both have not says a lot about those bands who tried to rip them off. Still, it gave us this, which charted as high

Only one version was kept off the top spot by Robson and Jerome though

• Moderators

I was "coming of age" in 1994 (not a wank reference but I was wanking a lot then) when Definitely Maybe came out and Oasis started getting a lot of hype. I was more of a Blur fan, although also not really because Parklife was annoying as fuck, but hated Oasis and all the lad swagger that came with them. Coming out of grunge and being endlessly shat on and harassed by bell-ends going "oi oi grunger...wheres your guitar mate lmao" you suddenly had the same wankers going on about how much they loved Oasis and it was great music for listening to before football and after having a fight.

That said Definitely Maybe is an absolute ripper of an album, with the only stinker being "Married With Children", and I still guiltily listen to it from time to time. All downhill from there though, got too big, did too much coke and Noel had too much power to add a hundred guitar tracks with an orchestra on every song.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Nothing from the 90s was better than McAlmont & Butler's classic Yes. And if you come back at me, we'll have a right sort out in here. And you can pair up if you like. And you can pick someone else to help you. And you can bring your fucking dinner. Because by the time I'm done with you, you'll need it.

Yes, brilliant song. Sad after doing "Yes" and a cover of "Diamonds are Forever" that David McAlmont's career, as far as I'm aware, fizzled out. What a singer.

• Paid Members

I loved them, and I’m not going to pretend there’s anything wrong with that or that I’ve changed my mind with “the wisdom of age” or anything. I too was 14 when I first got into them and Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory are still albums I will happily listen to all the way through without skipping anything. Whatever and all the B sides too.

However, it did indeed fall quickly off a cliff. I remember being beyond excited when the new album was coming out and was going to get it as an early birthday present, but the first listen of D’You Know What I Mean was so underwhelming. An over reliance on samples and hugely overproduced, I hoped it was a grower. It wasn’t, and Be Here Now was the biggest letdown of my young life. Well, since the WWF stopped putting Sunny on TV every week anyway. Other than Stand By Me I didn’t really like any of it and over the course of that album and every subsequent album there are probably four songs I consider worth listening to, compared to taking out the Supersonic or Shakermaker single where four songs on a single disc are worth listening to.

Early stuff brilliant. But then it would be a boring world if we all hated Red Dwarf, Marvel films, kebabs from the chippy and Sid.

7 hours ago, neil said:

I was "coming of age" in 1994 (not a wank reference but I was wanking a lot then) when Definitely Maybe came out and Oasis started getting a lot of hype. I was more of a Blur fan, although also not really because Parklife was annoying as fuck, but hated Oasis and all the lad swagger that came with them. Coming out of grunge and being endlessly shat on and harassed by bell-ends going "oi oi grunger...wheres your guitar mate lmao" you suddenly had the same wankers going on about how much they loved Oasis and it was great music for listening to before football and after having a fight.

That said Definitely Maybe is an absolute ripper of an album, with the only stinker being "Married With Children", and I still guiltily listen to it from time to time. All downhill from there though, got too big, did too much coke and Noel had too much power to add a hundred guitar tracks with an orchestra on every song.

I agree with all of this except I was much younger than you in '94 so wouldn't have been busting off yet. My prime beating off years would have been more in the nu-metal era than britpop.

I did truly love Oasis when I was a kid. Definitely the first band I ever got into in any kind of meaningful way. I remember I had a CD Walkman at the time and would just play the first two albums on repeat for a couple of years straight. I still love both of those records now but its hard to tell how much of that is nostalgia.

My parents took me to see them at Loch Lomond in 1996 which was the first concert I ever went to. I was only 9 though so don't have very clear memories of it.

95% of everything after those first couple of years is utter plops though and they definitely have one of the worst fanbases of all fucking time.

Edited by Ironic Indie Lad

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

One of my favourite things about listening to the Chart Music podcast is hearing music journalists, Simon Price and Neil Kulkarni, absolutely rip into Oasis' music - as well as their negative impact on popular culture going forwards - at every opportunity. They articulate it way better than I ever could.

In terms of their impact on popular culture, walking home from work the other day I saw someone around 18-21 in a parka doing the full Oasis dickhead walk. First time in years I've seen that in the wild, I thought it had been completely wiped out by the emergence of the Conor McGregor swagger among cunts.

4 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Yes, brilliant song. Sad after doing "Yes" and a cover of "Diamonds are Forever" that David McAlmont's career, as far as I'm aware, fizzled out. What a singer.

The Diamonds are Forever cover is fucking incredible, I love David McAlmont. He did an album with Michael Nyman about ten years ago that was a real favourite of mine for a long time, just a phenomenal talent that never seemed to get the plaudits he deserved.

Stand By Me on the Halifax advert makes me wretch a little.

They're a band I can listen to an album from and not have any desire to listen to again for 6 months - a year. Part of why their sound is dated is how loud some of their albums are. It's fatiguing. Though I only really listen to the first two and a few tracks from SOTSOG.

But yeah, I listen out of nostalgia. Oh also, Cast No Shadow's a right bore. 

13 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

I know it's hack to point out that they ripped off The Beatles (and everyone else), but they really did and were shameless about it.

Oasis don't really sound like The Beatles at all though. The band they were most like was SLADE with Johnny Rotten on vocals.

Anyway, they were the soundtrack to my teenage years. Definitely Maybe is a great indie album that still sounds good today. WHATS THE STORY has its moments but is responsible for a lot of terrible music that came after it, which I think clouds my judgement of it. After that, a mixed bag of stuff, but they were just too massive at that point to now fall off a cliff.

If I listen to Oasis now, I find myself putting on the B sides, or one off singles. Had THE MASTERPLAN collection been their third album, I think people might have a slightly different view of them. Anyway, Noel can really write a tune when he wants to.

But yeah, inspired a lot of people to this day to get awful haircuts and wear too tight for them polo shirts.

23 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Oasis don't really sound like The Beatles at all though. The band they were most like was SLADE with Johnny Rotten on vocals.

Of all the many people Noel ripped off, the only one he held his hands up to and gave a co-writing credit and royalties was Gary Glitter. Good one, Noel.