Oasis: Just How Shit Were They?

Devon Malcolm

How shit were Oasis?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Culturally, they had a significant impact on the country. Musically, nah mate. I could probably come up with ten songs of theirs I liked but none of them would be after the first two albums. Their cover of Slades feel the noise is probably their finest effort. 

• Paid Members

I think their shitness is overstated slightly because they're also nowhere as good as their cultural impact would suggest. You could make a decent record out of their first 2 albums and their B Sides collection. Everything else ranges from boring to interminable. Noel Gallagher is a bit of a prick, but I did enjoy his commentary of Oasis music videos where he  keeps going "Oh fucking hell, what the fuck is this shit? This is bollocks, and I hate this song" every 3 minutes. 

But to surmise, A Bit Shit. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

"(What's the Story) Morning Glory?" was so successful that after journalists rightly buried the fuck out of it for ripping off many popular songs (with only Stevie Wonder stepping in and making sure Step Out was not included because of how much it took from Uptight), that when the horrendously bloated Dad rock shit in a sock "Be Here Now" was released, every journo shit their pants and gave it raves. The most "I'm not getting on the wrong side of history this time" reviews ever.

They had catchy songs early on, but its all the same. They were in the right place post-Stone Roses and pre-New Labour during the cultural shift of "Cool Britannia" (vomit). You simply couldnt make a career out of any track post the second album, which was all retreads anyway. Also Noel Gallagher looks a toy you'd get from the market that you'd try and take back but the store wasnt there the next day.

19 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

when the horrendously bloated Dad rock shit in a sock "Be Here Now" was released, every journo shit their pants and gave it raves.

Nah, this isn’t true. Whilst they didn’t slate it, and retroactively have given it lesser grades, it was getting 4/5 or 7/10. If you consider that rave reviews then fair enough. To me, rave reviews are top marks or as close to (4.5/5 or 9/10) but it’s subjective innit. 
Can’t remember who, but one reviewer called it the sound of cocaine or words to that effect and they were right. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Can’t remember who, but one reviewer called it the sound of cocaine or words to that effect and they were right. 

It was Q who said that. Who went on to give the album 5 out of 5. It wasnt so much the ratings or 9/10s themselves. It was more the dissection of the songs, as if people hadnt yet realised Noel Edmonds* wasnt simply going "we'll use that part of yellow submarine and Liam can yell over it as usual." The way the band itself was spoke about around that time, you'd think it was by KISS or something (a proper band.)

*I meant to say "Noel Gallagher" but fuck it, its better this way.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

The first album's a great place and time album, and I think in amongst their we've-got-notions-about-ourselves peers, the whole flat lager psychedelia of their sound is surprisingly unique. Supersonic, Slide Away, stuff like that. There's some great snapshots in there. 

Standing on the Shoulder of Giants is secretly their second best album. That's the one where their mum got them the post-acid Beatles albums to listen to. There's even a bit of bass on it. 

The last few after that are all nothing, but then there's the occasional big time show in there they pulled off quite well. The 2005 one from Man City's gaf I used to play on YouTube quite a bit. There's a decent band there - playing through a decent back catalogue - and it's not like they ever downplayed their influences. 

• Paid Members

Whiney, nasally shite.  How they made a fiver, never mind millions I will never know.  They think they are hard bastards, but there are 1001 storeys round south Manchester of they being a pair of shitehawks.  Burnage monkey-boys.  I rank them just higher than Phil Collins, and  trust me, that’s pretty fucking low.  Shit.

Not the worst band in the world but definitely on the lower end of the scale when it came to bands on Creation up until that point, for me they're not remotely close to the likes of Swervedriver, Slowdive, Ride and MBV amongst others. Now the culture that came out around the same time and with Oasis? The dog shit worst.

I know it's hack to point out that they ripped off The Beatles (and everyone else), but they really did and were shameless about it.

I also find it funny how Liam said the reason Beady Eye split up was because of the fans not turning up to their gigs and the press not covering them enough, rather than the fact they were shit.

28 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Now the culture that came out around the same time and with Oasis? The dog shit worst.

The absolute dirt worst were the ones who went to see Oasis abroad and sit on their mates shoulders, with no top on and draped in a union flag. Ugh.