Best sequels

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

If we’re talking spoofs, Hot Shots Part Deux is up there.

The best sequel of all time for my tastes is either The Empire Strikes Back or X-Men 2. Or Days of Future Past if it counts as the sequel to First Class, and not “X-Men 5.” Apologies for my awful taste in escapism.

Also “better than the original” is not the question posed in the OP, so it’s fine to say Terminator 2 if you think it’s the best sequel regardless of whether it’s better than the first or not. It is bloody good to be fair.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chris B said:

While I wouldn't say it's better than the original, Psycho II is a film I'm really, really fond of. It coming so long after the original gives the opportunity for a very different take. And it ramps up the sympathy for Norman, with a genuinely great performance by Anthony Perkins, questioning his sanity after owning what happened to him. And the ending is perfect too.

There's also a brilliantly unnerving scene about halfway through.

Hide contents

Jennifer Tilly's character takes a shower. Downstairs, Norman is playing Moonlight Sonata on the piano. She comes out of the shower, and spots the little peephole that Norman used to use. She looks in it, into the room next door... and someone looks back. She runs out, assuming it's Norman, up to his old tricks - and Norman's still playing the piano, too far away to have done it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a soft spot for Psycho II. It's daft, lots of characters are weirdly and inexplicably protective of Norman Bates, the twist at the end is silly, and part of the actual ending is unintentionally hilarious, but somehow it all works. I like that they don't just rehash the original story, but add layers to it, even if some of those layers don't quite make sense. You're right about Anthony Perkins' performance, though - that, and the way they use the house itself as almost a character in its own right, is what elevates the film beyond a fairly flimsy script, he's absolutely superb. He's believably repressed - even moreso than in the original - and trying to do everything right, while seemingly the motel, and the world around him, conspires to turn him back into the psycho killer he was. 

• Awards Moderator

Aliens is the obvious one, as mentioned already.

The Color of Money may not be officially recognised as a sequel to The Hustler, but it is, and it’s better than its fantastic predecessor.

And I’ll leave it to Dev to spin this off to rank the Mission: Impossible sequels because they’re too good to share a thread with Jeepers Creepers 2 or whatever else gets thrown in here later.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

And I’ll leave it to Dev to spin this off to rank the Mission: Impossible sequels because they’re too good to share a thread with Jeepers Creepers 2 or whatever else gets thrown in here later.

Already bindun.

(had to look at it manually as the title search yields nothing)