Best sequels

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Just Some Guy said:

Just occurred to me that Wrath of Khan is better than Star Trek: The Motion Picture due to it giving you what you want from a Star Trek film.

As a work of art ST:TMP wins hands down.

Most of the even-numbered Treks are better than the Motion Picture. For me, the three best are First Contact, Undiscovered Country, and Wrath of Khan. Nemesis isn't amazing, but I think it's a lot better than it gets credit for. And The Voyage Home isn't really very good; apart from "nuclear wessels", there's very little memorable about it.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Nemesis isn't amazing, but I think it's a lot better than it gets credit for.

The quality of the film in peoples opinions is probably clouded by their hostility towards … well, you know which part.

7 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Raimi's Spider-Man 2 is comfortably the best of all the Spidey films.

Fixed.

• Paid Members

Wrath of Khan is fantastic - I'm not a big Star Trek fan, but have seen a few of the movies, and it stands out way ahead of any of the others. It feels weird nominating it as a "sequel" just because Star Trek films seem to exist in their own little universe, and there's received wisdom that the even numbered films are better than odd numbered ones, but it's a good shout.

I'd definitely second the nomination for Gremlins 2 - not necessarily better than the original, but just does something completely different with the format, and is a real absurd joy. 

On the same note, in terms of taking the original concept and running it through another genre lens, Aliens taking a more action-centric approach than the original Alien, while staying true to the premise, definitely deserves a mention. 

• Paid Members

Nemesis always felt like a bit of a retread of Wrath Of Khan. It's better than Insurrection, but First Contact is the best of the TNG era movies.

First Contact also serves as the jumping off point for all the Trek series that happen beyond that point if you buy into the fan theory of the Enterprise E and Borg's presence at the first contact acting as a catalyst for humanity stepping up some of their research and the way newer shows feel more technologically advanced than the older ones. It's a clever way of explaining away the looks of shows that are supposed to have happened before shows that we're made in the past, but set further on the future. 

• Paid Members

The main reason First Contact is my favourite is because it really skillfully utilises the horror element of the Borg in a way that hadn't been done previously. It draws on a sense of claustrophobia and tension similar to that of Alien, something that doesn't tend to be associated with ST in general.

I've always been rather fond of Temple of Doom and prefer it to Raiders of the lost ark, which is still a great film. The opening musical segment, to Indy chucking a meat skewer into a guys chest, to a car chase involving a child. The plane crash segment is a bit odd but I feel its action packed with a nice humour element. Also Pat Roach is in it. 

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

I've always been rather fond of Temple of Doom and prefer it to Raiders of the lost ark, which is still a great film. The opening musical segment, to Indy chucking a meat skewer into a guys chest, to a car chase involving a child. The plane crash segment is a bit odd but I feel its action packed with a nice humour element. Also Pat Roach is in it. 

He was in all of them! And I think, prior to Crystal Skull, he might've been the only actor to appear in the series four times. 

49 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

Temple Of Doom was the first one I ever saw as a kid, and shit the life out of me, so its always been my favourite.

Short Round as well innit.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Street Fighter II is better than Street Fighter.

Likewise Streets Of Rage 2 is better than the original. 

11 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Most of the even-numbered Treks are better than the Motion Picture. For me, the three best are First Contact, Undiscovered Country, and Wrath of Khan. Nemesis isn't amazing, but I think it's a lot better than it gets credit for. And The Voyage Home isn't really very good; apart from "nuclear wessels", there's very little memorable about it.

Came to post something similar re Trek. Especially Undiscovered Country and First Contact. 

Regarding other sequels not already mentioned. 

22 Jump Street is better than 21 Jump Street. 

Batman Returns has been mentioned?? 

How to Train Your Dragon 2.

I love Robocop 2, but maybe the only person who dies, same with Predator 2.

Cracking thread so far