Best sequels

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I saw Die Hard with a Vengance and Back to the Future 3 before the first two movies in those series so always have a soft spot for them over the others. With a Vengeance is a top tier sequel IMO.  

Terminator 2 is the best sequel ever though. 

And The Godfather Part 2 is a close second. Vito Corleone following the Black Hand via the rooftops is one of my favourite ever scenes in film.

Edited by TheBurningRed

• Paid Members

While I wouldn't say it's better than the original, Psycho II is a film I'm really, really fond of. It coming so long after the original gives the opportunity for a very different take. And it ramps up the sympathy for Norman, with a genuinely great performance by Anthony Perkins, questioning his sanity after owning what happened to him. And the ending is perfect too.

There's also a brilliantly unnerving scene about halfway through.

Spoiler

Jennifer Tilly's character takes a shower. Downstairs, Norman is playing Moonlight Sonata on the piano. She comes out of the shower, and spots the little peephole that Norman used to use. She looks in it, into the room next door... and someone looks back. She runs out, assuming it's Norman, up to his old tricks - and Norman's still playing the piano, too far away to have done it.

• Paid Members

It's been some time since I saw both films, and need to re-watch them soon, but I remember being pretty impressed by The French Connection II. Not as good as the first, but still very good, surprisingly so for a sequel.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

The first post was designed to wind you up. I take no responsibility for the rest!

Home Alone 2 was alright but was basically just a rewrite of the first one except half an hour longer. Also Trump.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

The answer is Sister Act II: Back in The Habit.

Miles better than the first. Lauryn Hill kicking ass and showing that, if she wanted, she could be an amazing actor but decided against it and started The Fugees instead. The final scene of them performing Joyful, Joyful is something I still get up on YouTube and I watch it every time I see it on TV which seems to be all the time. 

That's actually a really good shout. I've seen the sequel countless times and the original only a couple of times, the sequel is much better. It makes me sad that we didn't get more of Lauryn Hill in pretty much ANY capacity post-The Miseducation Of. What a talent.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Home Alone 2 was alright but was basically just a rewrite of the first one except half an hour longer. Also Trump.

I'd add that the locations are spectacular, the outcome greater and the violence even funnier. Though tbh, it's probably just that I saw the second one at the cinema and it was a much better experience.