Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

There was a massive online stink recently with fans accusing Jack White of ripping them off, because his shows are 'only' 90 minutes.

I thought that was mad. I go to quite a few shows these days and the absolute sweet spot for good bands is 60 mins, and maybe a 10 min encore if they must. I've nothing against a 45 minuter either, if they're a newer band with lesser material.

Springsteen gets a pass to do his 3 hour shows, everyone else needs to calm down.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz
Posted

I had to take a look as I knew they were long but Godspeed You! Black Emperor go for two bloody hours.. I've seen them twice and didn't even realise as it's the kind of music you just lose yourself in with almost no breaks between somgs, actual film projected visuals covering a massive space too. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Merzbow said:

I had to take a look as I knew they were long but Godspeed You! Black Emperor go for two bloody hours.. I've seen them twice and didn't even realise as it's the kind of music you just lose yourself in with almost no breaks between somgs, actual film projected visuals covering a massive space too. 

I saw them the other week. They got me to 80 mins before I checked my watch. 

Mogwai also get an extension for being brilliant. Seeing them again twice in November.

If anyone is into 'post rock' more generally, Bruit> are excellent and playing London soon. Tickets are like 15 or 20 quid. Their album The Age of Ephemerality is one of my favourite albums.

  • Members
Posted
17 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Terry Funk spinning ladder spot but with a barricade...

This sounds like a track from when emo bands would do unnecessarily long song titles.

Posted
38 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

This sounds like a track from when emo bands would do unnecessarily long song titles.

Or Red Sparowes, who did a song called And by Our Own Hand Did Every Last Bird Lie Silent in Their Puddles, the Air Barren of Song as the Clouds Drifted Away. For Killing Their Greatest Enemy, the Locusts Noisily Thanked Us and Turned Their Jaws Toward Our Crops, Swallowing Our Greed Whole.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I'm going to see Professor Elemental, Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer and Thomas Benjamin Wilde Esq at Rebellion in Manchester with some mates next month. Only £15 for tickets because no bugger's heard of them. Should be a giggle, and be good to catch up with my mates. 

  • Awards Moderator
Posted
On 4/19/2026 at 7:39 PM, d-d-d-dAz said:

There was a massive online stink recently with fans accusing Jack White of ripping them off, because his shows are 'only' 90 minutes.

I thought that was mad. I go to quite a few shows these days and the absolute sweet spot for good bands is 60 mins, and maybe a 10 min encore if they must. I've nothing against a 45 minuter either, if they're a newer band with lesser material.

Springsteen gets a pass to do his 3 hour shows, everyone else needs to calm down.

Absolutely correct on this last point. Bruce has spoiled me for all other gigs.

My sister and I went to the Weezer/Smashing Pumpkins co-gig a year or two ago. While Weezer were clearly positioned as the support act in actuality, which was a shame as they were who I was going for, they blasted through hit after hit for 45 minutes and it was brilliant. I don't mind Smashing Pumpkins but they went on and on and on for over two hours and nobody needs that.

  • Members
Posted
26 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

don't mind Smashing Pumpkins but they went on and on and on for over two hours and nobody needs that.

I once chose to watch New Found Glory over them at Reading and have not once regretted my decision. It was great!

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

I'm going to see Professor Elemental, Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer and Thomas Benjamin Wilde Esq at Rebellion in Manchester with some mates next month. Only £15 for tickets because no bugger's heard of them. Should be a giggle, and be good to catch up with my mates. 

Love Mr B!

  • Paid Members
Posted
3 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

I'm going to see Professor Elemental, Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer and Thomas Benjamin Wilde Esq at Rebellion in Manchester with some mates next month. Only £15 for tickets because no bugger's heard of them. Should be a giggle, and be good to catch up with my mates. 

That sounds an excellent line up, jealous as hell. Have the best time Jazz. 

Posted
4 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

I'm going to see Professor Elemental, Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer and Thomas Benjamin Wilde Esq at Rebellion in Manchester with some mates next month. Only £15 for tickets because no bugger's heard of them. Should be a giggle, and be good to catch up with my mates. 

Rebellion is a cracking little venue. Get down on the main floor and there’s not a bad view to be anywhere

Posted

Going to Supersonic Festival for the Saturday, luckily it was a free guest ticket as my best mate is playing her solo project (Lucifer Sky, check it out) but I usually go anyway.  Can't wait to see the reunion of Bong, one of the best doom metal bands I've seen live. I don't know many of the other acts but they're usually all fun if odd.

It's sadly far smaller this year with a whole day cut out and seemingly less and much smaller acts on the two days it's still on. I don't think it's an issue with money as they always sell out or close to it but more an issue with Digbeth landlords making it much tougher for them to get venues etc. I know they had one pull out last minute last year which meant they had to move to an O2 owned place which wasn't great.

Oh and seeing Shearling on Friday, or I was until I get a last minute message asking me to support them... 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...