Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Members
Posted
33 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Good luck anyway, Bacon.

That'll be one for Mum to take them to. I'll end up paying for a ticket though I know that much!

Posted

Gonna head to the Sammy Hagar tour, I know he's ancient but I've wanted to see him live since I was a teen and the last time he played London was 96. Can't believe the price of tickets but oh well. 

Posted

Managed to get a last minute ticket for Angine de Poitrine in Leeds tonight. I wondered if it might have been one of those crowds where it feels like everyone's waiting for the one or two "popular" songs, but people seemed to know most of the set which was really nice. It meant that when a song kicked off the whole room started jumping around at the same time, and it just felt like everyone was having a really good time. They're a funny pair of lads to watch too, there were moments between songs where they just jabbered nonsense at each other but you somehow knew exactly what they were saying. Super fun all round!

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Posted
On 6/1/2025 at 12:29 PM, johnnyboy said:

Kylie Minogue's Tension tour should be available on the NHS.  My heart is still going "Padam."

The Netflix version of this that has just been released, taking sections of the show from different venues, is great stuff.  In case you were wondering 8 o'clock on a Sunday morning isn't too early to watch a Kylie concert.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I just saw Mike-D (Beastie Boys) at 26 Leake Street. He was absolutely brilliant and I loved his new stuff with a few classic B-Boy tracks thrown in for measure. But what a God awful venue. Has anyone been there?

It’s a narrow tunnel with no windows or any kind of air flow, it was stiflingly hot. The set was only an hour but 3 songs from the end I felt like the walls were closing in and I couldn’t breathe. The band were struggling too and kept asking if everyone was OK and if they needed more water.

I knew So What’cha Want was the last song and I was just counting down the minutes until they played it. It was a great gig and I’m so glad I got to see him though. I saw the Beastie Boys a few times but never got to see them do Looking Down The Barrel of a Gun so that was pretty special.

Edited by Monkee
Posted
9 hours ago, Monkee said:

I just saw Mike-D (Beastie Boys) at 26 Leake Street. He was absolutely brilliant and I loved his new stuff with a few classic B-Boy tracks thrown in for measure. But what a God awful venue. Has anyone been there?

It’s a narrow tunnel with no windows or any kind of air flow, it was stiflingly hot. The set was only an hour but 3 songs from the end I felt like the walls were closing in and I couldn’t breathe. The band were struggling too and kept asking if everyone was OK and if they needed more water.

I knew So What’cha Want was the last song and I was just counting down the minutes until they played it. It was a great gig and I’m so glad I got to see him though. I saw the Beastie Boys a few times but never got to see them do Looking Down The Barrel of a Gun so that was pretty special.

I was there last night as well and didn’t think the venue was that bad. It didn’t get sweating down your back so it pools in your bumcrack hot but it was pretty humid/ “schwitzy” and the air did feel very thick towards the end. My main gripes with the venue were the apparent lack of set times in advance, which led me to get there way too early and miss out on more dinner and nice sit down time, and the lack of draught beer, although I get why they don’t given the type of space it is (it also didn’t stop someone spilling what felt like most of a round down the back of my legs mid-performance). I was about 2/3rds of the way back and the sound was still really good and it didn’t feel overly crowded/oversold as it can do in some venues.

Agree Mike and the band were excellent though. I’d purposely avoided the setlist from the previous gig and the 6 music session so came in only having heard the two singles and was very impressed. Weirdly I thought of So What’cha Want part way through the set so it then coming on was a nice surprise and made me glad I hadn’t bailed early to beat the crowd. Looking forward to the album that I think is due end of August.

  • Paid Members
Posted
9 hours ago, Ulf ist Gut said:

I was there last night as well and didn’t think the venue was that bad. It didn’t get sweating down your back so it pools in your bumcrack hot but it was pretty humid/ “schwitzy” and the air did feel very thick towards the end. 

 

Whereabouts were you standing? I was just to the right of the sound desk, hugging the wall to try and see the stage. It was stifling and I could see a few people around me struggling too. Also, I’m 5ft 11 and was wearing my platform Converse but typically ended up with two 7ft guys right in front of me so I could only just see Mike if I cricked my neck.

Posted
3 hours ago, Monkee said:

Whereabouts were you standing? I was just to the right of the sound desk, hugging the wall to try and see the stage. It was stifling and I could see a few people around me struggling too. Also, I’m 5ft 11 and was wearing my platform Converse but typically ended up with two 7ft guys right in front of me so I could only just see Mike if I cricked my neck.

I don't think I was far from you then as I was peeking out from behind the giant in the cardigan by the left wall if you're facing the stage (unless there were multiple groups of giants - i'm only about 5'7 so most people are taller than me but that guy was probably the biggest person i've ever seen and was at least a foot taller than me so I was overjoyed when him and his mate moved right in front of me during the gap between acts). It doesn't take much for me to feel hot and I go to a lot of sweaty gigs so I may have a higher tolerance for it than most. That or there was a layer of heat at around 5'10 that didn't reach me 😁    

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 hours ago, Ulf ist Gut said:

I don't think I was far from you then as I was peeking out from behind the giant in the cardigan by the left wall if you're facing the stage (unless there were multiple groups of giants - i'm only about 5'7 so most people are taller than me but that guy was probably the biggest person i've ever seen and was at least a foot taller than me so I was overjoyed when him and his mate moved right in front of me during the gap between acts). It doesn't take much for me to feel hot and I go to a lot of sweaty gigs so I may have a higher tolerance for it than most. That or there was a layer of heat at around 5'10 that didn't reach me 😁    

I saw that guy too and said to my friend I’m glad he wasn’t in front of us! I go to some sweaty gigs too (the thick of the pit at Bleed From Within) but not like that. There was just no air and it was sapping my energy. I had just about enough to jump a bit at So What’cha Want. If you saw a very red-faced [old] woman in a black Check Your Head T-shirt gasping to get outside at the end, that was me! 🤣

  • Paid Members
Posted

I enjoyed Sparks in Chelsea so much I've bought tickets for Southend in August. I don't know what pact Russel Mael made with the devil, but an 80 year old has no business at all hitting the high notes for This Town Ain't Big Enough For the Both of Us.

Posted (edited)

Sparks were indeed phenomenal in Bristol on Thursday. Went with autistic eldest, I was a bit worried how he'd cope with a standing gig as usual he won't enter a room if there's already in l people in there but he loved every second, never seen him smile so much. I'm not going to gorillaz today but the Jamie Hewitt Sparks shirt that's available there is bloody lovely and I'm incredibly jealous of anyone going. Medium or large is fine in case anyone is going

Edited by Harry Wiseau
Typo and tiny additional detail added. Happy now Bacon?
  • Paid Members
Posted

Saw Hayley Williams at the Roundhouse last night, absolutely melting my tits off throughout. There seemed to be an issue with the queuing, because whilst we got accessibility and were able to skip the queue, we were stood in the merch queue (only one woman on the till doing her best), and got seated at about 8.40pm (doors were at 7), there was still a queue coming in snaked down the main road. Dunno what was going on there. Anyone who decided to be in the standing area all pressed up is a better person than I - it looked like hell.  

Our seats also were awkwardly positioned - there were a set of spotlights on the left and right corner of the stage, and we were basically slap bang on the side of that, so for a long period of the show the view was very definitely 'restricted.' 

Despite that, she was, as expected, absolutely incredible. She's such a ball of energy on stage, plays a variety of instruments, and is good during the non-singing parts. She did the entire Ego Death album, with an added Nina Simone cover and then a cover of Wild Horses by Prefab Sprout, which also involved Romy from the XX coming on stage. I had no idea who Romy was and didn't recognise the song, but it was a good time anyway. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...