SaitoRyo Posted June 22 Posted June 22 I went to Metronome Festival in Prague on Saturday. Didn't bother with the early (presumably local) bands as it was fucking roasting out and my brother and his family were over so we wanted to have lunch together etc. first before me and him made our way there. We rocked up in time to see Slowdive, The Manic Street Preachers, The Flaming Lips and Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds though. I thought Slowdive were a really good vibes band. Perfect for an afternoon slot at a festival like this. Also, somehow didn't realise Slowdive were basically Mojave 3. Would've popped for Love Songs on the Radio, but it was a solid set as it was. I really enjoyed the Manics. My brother had seen them a bunch in the past few years and was complaining (half jokingly) about their set being the same as it always is, but he got bang into it like everyone else come showtime. I'm not a massive fan by any means but I know enough of their songs that about half the set was recognisable and I could sing along. They're just a really good, well-polished band that knows what they're doing, aren't they? The Flaming Lips were definitely the weakest of the bunch. Never been into them. I know a few of their songs and they had some fun inflatables on stage and in the crowd as part of their show, but I just didn't think they were all that great tbh. The frontman seeemd a lot more preoccupied with working than crowd than actually signing. It wasn't terrible, but I couldn't really get into it. Second time seeing Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, who are just a total tour de force live. A great, two-and-a-half hour set that spanned the length of their career. Loved it. Even the stuff from the newer records, which I'm not that hot on, was SO good live. Would recommend them to anyone, even if they're not a diehard fan. I've never been to a proper festival before but would definitely go back to Metronome, depending on the lineup. Tickets for the day were about sixty quid or something. It's big enough without being overwhelming and very well run. The stages were pretty close together and a new act started performing on one about five minutes after the last one had finished. Food and drink was very affordable (about £3-3.50 a pint) and the metro is right next door, meaning you can get back to the city centre within about 20/25 minutes of the festival finishing. Quote
d-d-d-dAz Posted June 22 Posted June 22 The Flaming Lips have two of my favourite albums ever, but Wayne Coyne absolutely categorically cannot sing and is dreadful live. I think thats why they go all in on the pyro and schmozz, as a distraction. He's just had pneumonia too, so he's probably even worst currently. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted June 22 Posted June 22 2 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said: The Flaming Lips have two of my favourite albums ever, but Wayne Coyne absolutely categorically cannot sing and is dreadful live. I think thats why they go all in on the pyro and schmozz, as a distraction. He's just had pneumonia too, so he's probably even worst currently. That makes sense. And yeah, he mentioned that he was overcoming pneumonia, so you have to take that into account, too. Like I say, they were by no means terrible, they were just the least enjoyable of the four bands I saw. Quote
CAREBEAR LUVVA Posted June 22 Posted June 22 Saw Lene Lovich, The Rezillos, The B-52s and Devo in Manchester last night. I wasn't too fussed about seeing Lene Lovich because I only know one of her songs (Lucky Number, which I'm not a fan of at all) but her short 6-song set was really good and I ended up enjoying it to the point where I'd probably go and see her again. I've been listening to the other three bands since the mid-80s and have seen them all before (if I was pushed for an answer to who my favourite band of all time was, I'd most likely say The B-52s), but to see all three one after the other was incredible. The Rezillos were stupidly fun, and The B-52s sounded way better than the last few times I saw them. Poor Cindy's voice is a bit buggered, but when she did occasionally belt it out she sounded really good. Devo are just madlads, running around the stage like they're 20 years old and playing 50-year old songs better, louder and heavier than ever. Going into the gig I was a bit unsure about how good it might be, because pretty much everyone's in their 60s and 70s and you sort of wonder whether they can still perform to the level you really want them to, but it was one of those cases where it genuinely might be the last time we get to see some of these bands play over here so I felt like I needed to go. I'm so glad that I did, because it was a phenomenal evening from beginning to end. I very much hope to be able to see them all again, but if this is indeed the last time for some of them, then it was a truly fantastic way to bow out of touring. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted June 23 Paid Members Posted June 23 I was there too! Missed Lene Lovich, and enjoyed The Rezillos, though they had some real technical issues. The B-52s were good fun, but I expected a bit more of a show from them to make it a bit more of a big party feel (and help cover up for their voices not being what they were, and everyone getting on a bit), while Devo delivered the "show" element in spades, and were absolutely brilliant. Phenomenal gig. Quote
Rockbus2 Posted July 11 Posted July 11 Went to Self Esteem in York last night. She's my partners favourite but was absolutely blown away. Quite possibly the best pop show I've ever seen. Really simple but engaging choreography, great visuals, her voice is incredible and it's very rare to see an artist show such obvious genuine emotion on stage. Quote
westlondonmist Posted July 11 Posted July 11 At Sammy Hagar, £40 for a fuckin tee. More than I paid for a ticket. Quote
Paid Members TheBurningRed Posted July 11 Paid Members Posted July 11 Same at My Chemical Romance. £40 a t shirt, £70 for a hoodie, £75 for a jacket. £25 for a tote bag. Madness. My wife bought a t shirt. I refused to spend that money. Already getting mugged off for food and drink here. Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted July 11 Paid Members Posted July 11 £40 is standard these days at an Academy/Arena show these days. Sickening. Quote
westlondonmist Posted July 11 Posted July 11 I bit tbh. I was lucky and got a cheap ticket when I was thinking of spending a oner. I absolutely love Sammy Hagar, he's toured the UK with Chickenfoot but not done his solo or Van Halen stuff since 95. Didn't think he'd ever tour. Someone said they're old, don't bother. You'd never know Sammy was 78, he was up and down like a blue arse fly. Satch, Mikey and Aronoff were great too. Quote
Wideload90 Posted July 11 Posted July 11 A mate of mine got tickets for SOAD on Monday. I asked my manager for an unpaid half day and they refused. I should have just pulled a sickie. Quote
westlondonmist Posted July 11 Posted July 11 34 minutes ago, Wideload90 said: A mate of mine got tickets for SOAD on Monday. I asked my manager for an unpaid half day and they refused. I should have just pulled a sickie. Do that anyway. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted July 11 Paid Members Posted July 11 Looks too suspicious. Try and get in to see a doctor as well? Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 12 Members Posted July 12 4 hours ago, Wideload90 said: A mate of mine got tickets for SOAD on Monday. I asked my manager for an unpaid half day and they refused. I should have just pulled a sickie. Enjoy the Tottenham stadium experience (let me know if you want some pub/food recs locally) and thank you for contributing to our revenue Quote
Paid Members Monkee Posted July 12 Paid Members Posted July 12 I’m seeing SOAD on Monday too. Had a run of concerts recently and I’m knackered - gave myself a 2-day migraine. Blew off House of Protection earlier to make sure I’m OK for Monday as I don’t want to miss this one. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.