d-d-d-dAz Posted April 7 Posted April 7 13 minutes ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said: I missed out on Angine de Poitrine tickets the other day because they sold out in less than a minute. I do, however, have a ticket to see the Cheeky Girls in a pub in Wakefield, which I'm sure will more than make up for it. My luck is never much cop, but I actually did get a ticket for Angine de Poitrine at the Troxy. I'm pretty excited. It's frustrating that they're going 'viral' for how they look, when the real story should be how completely nerdy they are musically. Still, if something that sounds like extraterrestrial AI prompted to make something somewhere between Zappa and Primus is getting popular, i'm okay with that. Quote
Tamura Posted April 7 Posted April 7 (edited) 1 hour ago, SuperBacon said: 12pm: tickets go on sale. 1.30pm: government announce he's been banned from travelling. 2.30pm: event cancelled. Look on the bright side. Somebody's getting unjustifiably rich from the presumably non-refundable ticket booking fees. Edited April 7 by Tamura Quote
CAREBEAR LUVVA Posted April 7 Posted April 7 2 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said: My luck is never much cop, but I actually did get a ticket for Angine de Poitrine at the Troxy. I'm pretty excited. It's frustrating that they're going 'viral' for how they look, when the real story should be how completely nerdy they are musically. Still, if something that sounds like extraterrestrial AI prompted to make something somewhere between Zappa and Primus is getting popular, i'm okay with that. I do love how so many people seem to be into it, regardless of the reason. It at least shows that there's an appetite for weird nonsense, which I'm all in favour of! I'm seeing them in Leeds next month (it was the October tour that I missed out on) and haven't looked forward to a gig this much for years. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 7 Members Posted April 7 2 hours ago, Tamura said: Look on the bright side. Somebody's getting unjustifiably rich from the presumably non-refundable ticket booking fees. Full refund including fees. I do love how PayPal were happy to take peoples money during their presale, but then "pulled out" as a sponsor. Hypocrisy of the tallest order. Quote
Harry Wiseau Posted April 7 Posted April 7 1 hour ago, SuperBacon said: Full refund including fees. I do love how PayPal were happy to take peoples money during their presale, but then "pulled out" as a sponsor. Hypocrisy of the tallest order. I'm glad you got the bullshit fees back, I was genuinely fuming at work this afternoon at the thought that some fucker was making a fortune off the fees. Seriously. Quote
organizedkaos Posted April 16 Posted April 16 Wowser, yall if you haven't listened to Joshua Idehen give him a spin (id the album is the better work but Your Mum Does The Washing up is a clever thing) If you have listened to Joshua Idehen and even vaguely like his stuff go see, absolutely phenomenal live performer Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted April 17 Paid Members Posted April 17 Off to see Speed this evening. I plan on standing on the edge of the pit to watch people do kung fu. Looking forward to it. Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted April 18 Paid Members Posted April 18 Speed were great last night. I see alot of gigs but rarely see a "buzz" band in their ascendancy like this, mainly cause i'm old and washed, but these types of shows have a different kind of energy. Venue was rammed and people were losing their minds. I got a decent spot stage left and just observed the carnage. Great frontman too, the kind of frontman that sets the band apart from a million other cookie-cutter hardcore bands. Quote
Merzbow Posted April 18 Posted April 18 I was tempted to see them again but it'd never live up to seeing them two years back in an 100 cap venue. Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted April 18 Paid Members Posted April 18 They can't have actually played for much for than 25 mins last night either, despite them playing a pretty large room and the band admitting on stage it felt like an actual concert than a hardcore show. On stage for about 40 mins, but 10 mins of it was probably between-song patter. Didn't feel short changed though. Quote
Merzbow Posted April 18 Posted April 18 I love that about hardcore bands, 20 minutes is a sweet spot and then they change over to the next band. Even the bigger acts don't go much over that so you usually fit in a big mix of acts on a single night. Quote
Tamura Posted April 18 Posted April 18 I saw D.R.I. in Malmö and they played for 85 (I was going to say 75-90, but someone posted their full set on Youtube) minutes, and it was just painful by the end. Short sets of best songs are way better than tediously long sets, especially when there's not that much variance in material. Quote
wordsfromlee Posted April 18 Posted April 18 57 minutes ago, Tamura said: Short sets of best songs are way better than tediously long sets, especially when there's not that much variance in material. I felt the same when I first saw American Football on their reunion tour in 2015. I'd rather they had just played their one album and it being a ~40 minute set. Instead they padded it out to over an hour by jamming a bunch of unreleased instrumentals (that ended up becoming songs on the second album) and two trumpet solos. Quote
Rockbus2 Posted April 18 Posted April 18 2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said: I felt the same when I first saw American Football on their reunion tour in 2015. I'd rather they had just played their one album and it being a ~40 minute set. Instead they padded it out to over an hour by jamming a bunch of unreleased instrumentals (that ended up becoming songs on the second album) and two trumpet solos. There's no such thing as too much American Football... I dont remember feeling that at all so just looked up the set list and it seems to be the album, the EP and only one unreleased track. Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted April 19 Paid Members Posted April 19 17 hours ago, Merzbow said: I love that about hardcore bands, 20 minutes is a sweet spot and then they change over to the next band. Even the bigger acts don't go much over that so you usually fit in a big mix of acts on a single night. Yeah, i do love a shorter set. Its why festival sets can be so good, just short and to the point. Some bands fully warrant and pull off a longer set, others not so much. I saw The Gaslight Anthem once on the Get Hurt tour. They went full Pearl Jam and played a 28 song set, it was just too much. They didn't have the material to play a set like that, especially in front of a crowd who didn't know most of it, they played pretty much the whole Get Hurt album too which is what alienated them from the fanbase that would have been turning up at that point. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.