AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Ultimately, if The Plan is to get Cody booed, I don't know why they'd set up a feud with Dan Lambert. That's the sort of programme you book when your babyface is getting booed and you want to find someone the fans will boo more.

The other problem is given the nature of Lambert's promos if he does start "shooting on Cody" a lot of the fans with those same criticisms could well start cheering Lambert and his crew. Plus who'd want to see American Top Team Vs the Nightmare Family Factory? Scorpio Sky, Ethan Page and 3 relatively untrained MMA fighters against Cody, Dustin, Lee Johnson, Brock Anderson and Fuego Del Sol? I think I'll pass. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

TNT certainly appeared to perceive Rhodes as a big deal - with the move to TBS, it may be the same, and this is all about making sure he's prominent for the new network. For a new audience, he might be attention-grabbing, purely through presentation.

My guess for where the Dan Lambert thing is going? Cody Rhodes and Brandi vs Austin Vanderford and Paige VanZant. 

This, I'm guessing, is why Brandi was so prominent in the fire spot.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Chris B said:

My guess for where the Dan Lambert thing is going? Cody Rhodes and Brandi vs Austin Vanderford and Paige VanZant. 

This, I'm guessing, is why Brandi was so prominent in the fire spot.

After going 30 minutes and grabbing victory from the jaws of defeat against Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky in some unnecessarily hard fought TNT title matches, obviously. 

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

TNT certainly appeared to perceive Rhodes as a big deal - with the move to TBS, it may be the same, and this is all about making sure he's prominent for the new network. For a new audience, he might be attention-grabbing, purely through presentation.

This. Cody isn't anywhere near the blue eyes nor booker his father was, but he's still his father's son in a lot of ways. I don't doubt that he could walk into a room with a bunch of network execs and convince them he's the star. 

9 hours ago, Vamp said:

This. Cody isn't anywhere near the blue eyes nor booker his father was, but he's still his father's son in a lot of ways. I don't doubt that he could walk into a room with a bunch of network execs and convince them he's the star. 

This is a very good point. He might not be public face of the company any more, but Cody is no doubt doing a lot of the schmoozing behind the scenes to get AEW the deals they need. Execs aren't watching the show. The Cody Cody sees himself as and pitches to them exists only in post-production, where all the dumb shit can be edited and crowd-sweetened. A new season of Go Big Show announced? There he goes through a flaming table with zero build. Go Big Show judge intros: "As one of the star wrestlers of AEW and the son of one of the greatest wrestlers of all time, the American Dream Dusty Rhodes, Cody Rhodes knows a thing or two about Going Big..." (cut to flaming table spot) 

• Paid Members

Finally got around to watching this. It was not good. Sammy is a classic case of someone who has the wrestling style of a babyface but personality wise he's a natural heel. Like Jericho said when he saw him for the first time "he just looks like an asshole". So you put one unlikeable babyface against Cody it's going to be a bit of a mess. On top of that Cody did his usual take as many short cuts as he can match and spent most the match working Sammy's arm which made no sense as firstly Cody isn't a submissions wrestler and secondly Sammy's a high flyer...target his fucking KNEES not his arm you absolute idiot. After working the arm for 5 minutes Cody randomly went for a moonsault which even Taz on commentary had to point out made no sense whatsoever. Of course the arm work went absolutely nowhere and they completely dropped it to just go into the usual big move-kick out-shocked face-repeat for the ending portion. Bad match from two not very good wrestlers and I'm really not looking forward to seeing where this Cody shit goes.

Rest of the show was fun however. Isaih Kassidy has developed into an incredibly fun wrestler.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

If anybody needs the safety net of multi-man high flying matches it's Dante Martin. It's a shame the Forbidden door is closed as he would have fit great in the X Division. 

The TNT Title as a whole seems to have been a bit of a bust so far. It’s had some good matches no doubt, but 18 months on the only person who seems to have come out of it in a better standing for having held it is Darby Allin, something which presents an entirely different conversation for a different thread.

Obviously Brodie Lee’s passing is the anomaly, but Miro has only wrestled twice as part of the World Title Tournament since losing it and even then he was a replacement, otherwise he’d have been off for 3 months and is only just being build up for something new now, whilst Sammy didn’t have a proper feud despite having the belt for nearly 3 months as he was in the mix of the Inner Circle/ATT feud

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Miro never should have lost the belt unless he was being moved into a World title feud. There was loads of life left for him yet with that title. I imagine he's nursing some niggles, as it makes no sense that he's been off as long as he has with how hot of a run he was on. 

Guevara with the belt was an absolute bust, outside of the title win. I guess that's what happens with pointless defences against the likes of Tony Nese. Hopefully it being back on Cody for a bit will give it some prominence before they decide where to go with it afterwards.