AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Good showing from Hook again. One of those "newz" sites had been turning up on my chrome homepage with a "huge title change on Rampage" headline since Thursday, which pissed me off no end. Does he Crow about how he's a two time champion now? Why stick the belt on him when he's going to be off on his TV show now, unless this is a Turner decision? 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Yeah, I forgot about that other reign.

Its almost Hogan levels of grandstanding. He's not allowed to challenge for the big belt, but is the only person in the company who's had a title more than once? Presumably once this series of Go Big Show is done with he'll drop it again. 

• Paid Members

Thinking they know what they’re doing with Cody and believing it’s a huge, meta, 4D chess play is starting to feel like Charlotte-won’t-really-be-in-the-Wrestlemania-main-event and Kurt-Angle-won’t-really-wrestle-Corbin-in-his-final-match levels of denial.

I do like that we had a short Title run. Makes a nice change. Poor Sammy though. What a rubbish reign. Playing second fiddle to Jericho with Lambert, then a handful of forgettable workrate matches. Almost seems pointless to have ever taken it off Miro now.

Edited by Supremo

58 minutes ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Unless that's the work 🙃.

Like genuine old school heels we're not meant to like. We're not meant to enjoy their heel work. 

Ultimately it's all about the pay off to the emotion. If this results in someone getting the championship off him in a hugely emotional "YEEEESSSSSS! FUCK YOU CODY YOU SPOTLIGHT STEALING DICK!" then it was a success.

Let's not fool ourselves that we are above "normal fans" because we apparently see the strings. 

While I’m not saying this logic doesn’t exist in wrestling, I don’t buy it. A title run is only a success if fans want to see it play out. If fans are utterly fed up of the champion, and don’t particularly want to watch what they’re doing in the first place, that’s not a success; even if there is a cheer borne out of relief when that champion loses.

It’s not about ‘seeing the strings’, it’s basic storytelling. People ‘love to hate’ even the most irredeemable of TV villains. You’re not necessarily loving the bad guy, you’re gripped by the storyline, and that’s what you love. And when is the last time anyone has been gripped by a Cody storyline?

Just now, RedRooster said:

It’s not about ‘seeing the strings’, it’s basic storytelling. People ‘love to hate’ even the most irredeemable of TV villains. You’re not necessarily loving the bad guy, you’re gripped by the storyline, and that’s what you love. And when is the last time anyone has been gripped by a Cody storyline?

Exactly this. There needs to be some sense of enjoyment along the way. Wanting to see the villain get tripped up in the end but being invested in the story along the way.

Nothing about Cody makes me want to watch him or his matches really. And there's only one reason I want to see him lose and it's not a good reason.

The recap I read of this show had this to say…

“Was not expecting for Cody to get the championship and before people get upset we need to remember how much the Rhodes family meant to the territories back in the day. Not justifying it but helping make sense.”

and now I want to vomit.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Motherfucker is taking all the talk away from the greatest rookie of all time, Hook looked spectacular out there again and you could easily believe that he could throw around a guy of Bronson's size, amazing.

It's that judo style, makes everything look more realistic. 

2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Good showing from Hook again. One of those "newz" sites had been turning up on my chrome homepage with a "huge title change on Rampage" headline since Thursday, which pissed me off no end. Does he Crow about how he's a two time champion now? Why stick the belt on him when he's going to be off on his TV show now, unless this is a Turner decision? 

He’s not going to be off tv, was all filmed months ago.