AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

It feels like by having his fancy entrance he's positioning himself as the main guy in the company and a big deal, whereas unless he finagles his way into a world title shot the highest he's going to ascend on the card is their mid-card title, which it would appear he's destined to win every time he has another show to promote.

Honestly, he'd probably be much more suited to a main event spot. Just let him do the Triple H gimmick. It's fine. You don't always need to try and be too clever and try to subvert expectations.

He's a technically sound wrestler (not great, but fine), has a decent look and is pretty famous and relevant. Just put him in the main event as a prick heel. Say TBS demanded the 'no world title' clause was removed. Make him the networks choice. 

It'll be better than Adam Cole in the main event.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Honestly, he'd probably be much more suited to a main event spot. Just let him do the Triple H gimmick. It's fine. You don't always need to try and be too clever and try to subvert expectations.

He's a technically sound wrestler (not great, but fine), has a decent look and is pretty famous and relevant. Just put him in the main event as a prick heel. Say TBS demanded the 'no world title' clause was removed. Make him the networks choice. 

It'll be better than Adam Cole in the main event.

He's not good enough to be at that level, though. He's "three star Cody" for a reason.

16 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

He's not good enough to be at that level, though. He's "three star Cody" for a reason.

I think the history of professional wrestling has taught us that only being able to deliver average quality matches is no impediment to being a successful main eventer.

I’m not saying I’m desperate for Cody to be the man. But, just given the available options, I think it’d be better just to do the obvious. It’s got to be better than his confusing, suffocating run as a cucked mid-carder with delusions of grandeur.

• Paid Members

I mean he's pretty much been booked as the main event of most shows he wrestles on anyway, so I really think the only difference would be that he'd be stinking up top guys' matches instead of muddying up the mid card with his Tripper at Mania style matches on TV every week. 

2 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

Working a high flyer's legs doesn't break psychology (WTF does that even mean??)

I think you knew what was meant.

He didn't want to slow the match down too much and cut out his opponents crowd popping moves by working the leg. Often you'll see matches where someone works on the leg, but then the guy whose had his leg destroyed suddenly does springboard canadian destroyers; that is breaking psychology.

Obviously the wrestler I was referring to was playing another story in the match which made sense. He just decided not to work on legs in this particular circumstance because as the main event of the show, and because of what the crowd wanted, he avoided working on the legs because the fans wanted to see the daredevil & high flying style of his opponent.

• Awards Moderator

In the simplest version of psychology though, why would he care what the fans want to see? He should want to win the match and if his opponent relies on using their legs, he should work on their legs to increase his chances of winning.

Edit: I know wrestling is silly and applying logic to it never ends well.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

16 minutes ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

I think you knew what was meant.

He didn't want to slow the match down too much and cut out his opponents crowd popping moves by working the leg. Often you'll see matches where someone works on the leg, but then the guy whose had his leg destroyed suddenly does springboard canadian destroyers; that is breaking psychology.

Obviously the wrestler I was referring to was playing another story in the match which made sense. He just decided not to work on legs in this particular circumstance because as the main event of the show, and because of what the crowd wanted, he avoided working on the legs because the fans wanted to see the daredevil & high flying style of his opponent.

No, I don't know what was meant. Psychology in wrestling is no different from any other fight, transposed to the context of the style of match. You can't 'break' psychology, only ignore it. What you describe in the rest of the post is the workers ignoring logical tactical thought for the sake of their opinion of audience expectation (another example of the inside looking out, when the outside looking in is much more important). I agree that working a body part then stopping selling it to get your shit in is crap, but that's crap in the context of any match. There's 1001 ways to work a high flyer's legs and still get their high flying in; it just requires, you know, good working, creativity, and great selling.

Sorry for the derail.

Tl, dr: Kids these days, eh? 

• Paid Members

Once you start setting people on fire who you’ve barely had an issue with, any and all psychology is acceptable. Fuck being a babyface or a heel. Cody’s character since that Andrade match is simply that of a fucking nutter.