AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

I've been thinking for a while now that the problem with Cody is that whatever he does, you immediately think about the booking rather that being drawn in and invested in the character and actions of the character. Cody is a WWE superstar in a sea of pro wrestlers.

Yes, people discussed the booking in Omega / Page, but it was the journey and characters that were invested in, rather than discussing booking. Week in, week out, the first comments about any Cody segments are how he is either being booked or booking himself, which breaks the illusion. 

Whilst that is probably on us for being 'smart', it is still a stark contrast to other areas of the show.

Cody outside of the ring and in interviews, is such a likeable guy, he's knowledgeable, comes across humble and just seems like he wants to be liked, but he just can't translate it to screen, unfortunately. 

• Paid Members

It's the tonal whiplash between his stuff and everything else that's going on. As has been mentioned numerous times before, all Cody's stuff feels like it happens in a separate bubble from the rest of the company. Maybe we could stick to all the Cody verse stuff happening on Rampage with the TV title, and let the wrestlers do their thing on Dynamite, Dark and elevation. It does feel like it's either being put on to give him things to feature in his reality show, or remind you that he's on that Go Big Show. Still, he did manage to solve racism in a single promo, so we should give him some credit. 

I put this in the Dynamite thread originally but since there is ongoing Cody chat in here:

Tony Khan has teased "I might have one more surprise up my sleeve for 2021" prior to Dynamite tonight and I saw someone speculating that it'll be Bray Wyatt/Windham brought in to feud with Cody over the TNT title and my very first thought was "the UKFF will love that!"

• Paid Members

It's a shame Tony Khan is taking all the attention with childish Twitter nonsense because the womens tag on Rampage was an absolutely batshit crazy match that should be getting a lot of buzz. Allin/Bowens was also a very fun little TV match.

33 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

It's a shame Tony Khan is taking all the attention with childish Twitter nonsense because the womens tag on Rampage was an absolutely batshit crazy match that should be getting a lot of buzz. Allin/Bowens was also a very fun little TV match.

I really enjoyed the show but yeah between Tony's childish shit and Sammy and Tay going social media official it's not been the best timing.

• Paid Members

Didn't Sammy propose to his ex on an episode of Dynamite? 

I slept through the show because I've been having awful sleep recently, but I'll probably give it a watch later. Presumably Cody's hitting two Cross Rhodes and then then teasing the Pedigree into a tiger driver is supposed to be some super meta thing, whereas its just overkill that'll end up making everybody involved look shit. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I slept through the show because I've been having awful sleep recently, but I'll probably give it a watch later. Presumably Cody's hitting two Cross Rhodes and then then teasing the Pedigree into a tiger driver is supposed to be some super meta thing, whereas its just overkill that'll end up making everybody involved look shit. 

It's getting over a new finisher.

• Paid Members

By hitting two finishers beforehand? Why not just go straight to the Tiger Driver? It's like 3 and a half moves of doom. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

The story is his old finisher isn't cutting it any more, so he's got a new one. Is it really that difficult? It's probably more effort that most people do with new finshers to be honest. 

I'm now certain people are making shit up to whinge about. 

Edited by gmoney