AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

My first response to Cody winning was just “well”.

I don’t really dislike Cody like a lot here his stuff just seems to be stuff which happened. I was kinda looking forward to Sammy and Scorpio Sky as most the time you can see the TNT title changes coming and I kinda like that over them just happening.

Hook is just cool isn’t he, when he popped up like Taz I popped. He still needs a load more matches but he just has something.

Overall I thought it was a fun show. 

Some very noticeable crowd sweetening during the Jungle Boy match. 

Layla heel turn? Sure might as well, not like she's doing much. 

Bear Bronson deserves credit for bumping for HOOK like he did. He's been given some solid opponents to get himself over. 

Was shocked Cody won at first but really should have seen it coming.

Honestly I now just feel kind of "meh" about Cody. Crowds are eating it up though so what do I know. 

HOOK popping up after the piledriver just like his dad would do was good stuff. He seems to be insanely over even beyond the memeing at this point.

As far as Cody goes, I always like his matches due to them being fucking silly as shit but I am not sure I needed a 3rd TNT reign for him. I hope that HOOK slap will eventually lead to something.

Also: I think Miro might be in the void between Christmas and New Year.

Edited by 69MeDon

• Paid Members

Cody is like a little fragment of WWE in AEW; everything is presented as big and important, but none of it has any lasting meaning. Contrast pretty much every feud he's in with the Omega/Hangman/Danielson story arc - you can thread everything Hangman Page has done back to the very first show, while it's difficult to make any connection between what Cody is doing this week compared to last week. 

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Cody is like a little fragment of WWE in AEW; everything is presented as big and important, but none of it has any lasting meaning. Contrast pretty much every feud he's in with the Omega/Hangman/Danielson story arc - you can thread everything Hangman Page has done back to the very first show, while it's difficult to make any connection between what Cody is doing this week compared to last week. 

I'm sorry but that's tosh. There's plenty of storylines that stop and start in AEW, so why compare his with the one that's regarded as an exception in long term storytelling? I don't think there's anything Cody's done that's felt particularly half baked or contrary to what's gone before. I'd argue the story his in the middle of at the moment is the most interesting in the company right now. 

• Paid Members

Having had it spoiled days before I just want interested in watching the match. Cody kicking out of Guevara's finish and being able to fight on compared with Guevara kicking out of Cross Rhodes and then immediately not looking like he's in any state to continue was daft, and again the pedigree tease at the end. People see exactly what he's trying to do, but from the sound of the crickets when he made his entrance I don't think they're particularly bothered. Maybe he's going to drag Dan Lambert and American Top Team into the Codyverse to feud with him and Dustin and the rest of them because the feud with Jericho and the Inner Circle didn't quite kill their heat off completely. Brandi/Red Velvet Vs Paige Van Zant anybody? 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Having had it spoiled days before I just want interested in watching the match. Cody kicking out of Guevara's finish and being able to fight on compared with Guevara kicking out of Cross Rhodes and then immediately not looking like he's in any state to continue was daft, and again the pedigree tease at the end. People see exactly what he's trying to do, but from the sound of the crickets when he made his entrance I don't think they're particularly bothered. 

Check the volume on your telly. He got loud boos.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I'm sorry but that's tosh. There's plenty of storylines that stop and start in AEW, so why compare his with the one that's regarded as an exception in long term storytelling? I don't think there's anything Cody's done that's felt particularly half baked or contrary to what's gone before. I'd argue the story his in the middle of at the moment is the most interesting in the company right now. 

How many of those storylines feature one of the promotion's top stars, let alone one who gets the special main event entrance every show, or the "this week on Dynamite, Cody has a special announcement" treatment?

It's not that it's half-baked, it's that it's consistently meaningless - going through burning tables in matches with people he's barely interacted with, every false finish imaginable in every match, or cutting "retirement" promos then barely acknowledging that he came back and just went back to wrestling.

I can't agree that Cody is in an interesting story right now, when there's very little evidence that he's in a coherent story at all. It's maybe a good story if you believe the meta stuff about him becoming a John Cena "unpopular" baby-face, or teasing a heel turn, but he's just started feuding with a team who are unequivocally heels and a manager who gets constant heat - if the story is him "turning heel", as it apparently has been for months, why is he still feuding with heels? Why is he still knocking about with Arn Anderson after the umpteenth time of teasing a break-up, and so on and so on.

I don't think there even is some grand plan to make him a meta-heel or play off audience preconceptions - they've put the belt on him because his other TV show is starting again in a couple of weeks. That's it. And it's always going to be hard to get invested in someone when, no matter the story beat, you don't think, "oh no, Malakai Black has pushed Cody to the brink of retirement", you think, "oh right, he needs to take time off for filming, just like this time last year". 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

How many of those storylines feature one of the promotion's top stars, let alone one who gets the special main event entrance every show, or the "this week on Dynamite, Cody has a special announcement" treatment?

It's not that it's half-baked, it's that it's consistently meaningless - going through burning tables in matches with people he's barely interacted with, every false finish imaginable in every match, or cutting "retirement" promos then barely acknowledging that he came back and just went back to wrestling.

I can't agree that Cody is in an interesting story right now, when there's very little evidence that he's in a coherent story at all. It's maybe a good story if you believe the meta stuff about him becoming a John Cena "unpopular" baby-face, or teasing a heel turn, but he's just started feuding with a team who are unequivocally heels and a manager who gets constant heat - if the story is him "turning heel", as it apparently has been for months, why is he still feuding with heels? Why is he still knocking about with Arn Anderson after the umpteenth time of teasing a break-up, and so on and so on.

I don't think there even is some grand plan to make him a meta-heel or play off audience preconceptions - they've put the belt on him because his other TV show is starting again in a couple of weeks. That's it. And it's always going to be hard to get invested in someone when, no matter the story beat, you don't think, "oh no, Malakai Black has pushed Cody to the brink of retirement", you think, "oh right, he needs to take time off for filming, just like this time last year". 

How's the flaming table thing any different to Omega and Moxley throwing themselves through barbed wire mesh and glass in their lights out match? That was also thoroughly unearned. Near falls and finisher kick outs are hardly the preserve of Cody matches either.

I'm not arguing that he doesn't occasionally do nonsensical things, I'm arguing that it quite common in AEW, but only Cody really catches lasting flak for it. 

In regards to the 'retirement', I'm a little confused by your criticism there as he didn't retire. That was the whole point of the angle. He was going to, but was attacked again by Black before he could do it. That was (clearly, I thought) the heat of the feud. The whole thing was booked excellently, and got Black over like rover. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

When I was watching I didn't hear anything when he made his entrance, but there was some heat during the match, I heard booing at the end. I was wondering whether they were trying to sweeten the crowd noise or hide it like they used to in WWE for Roman Reigns, Whenever I have heard him being booed I always felt it was more X-Pac heat than the playful mocking Cena gets. 

1 minute ago, jazzygeofferz said:

When I was watching I didn't hear anything when he made his entrance, but there was some heat during the match, I heard booing at the end. I was wondering whether they were trying to sweeten the crowd noise or hide it like they used to in WWE for Roman Reigns, Whenever I have heard him being booed I always felt it was more X-Pac heat than the playful mocking Cena gets. 

Definately very audible boos during Cody's entrance - although I watch with headphones.

Actually, I did have half a thought that maybe, if Cody actually has zero plans to turn, why didn't they sweeten the crowd reaction, given how liberally they've been willing to do so on Rampage in the past?

• Paid Members

It must have been the volume I was watching on my laptop then. It was pretty early and I didn't want to disturb Mrs Jazzy, but at the same time I couldn't put headphones on in case she needed me.

59 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

Definately very audible boos during Cody's entrance - although I watch with headphones.

Actually, I did have half a thought that maybe, if Cody actually has zero plans to turn, why didn't they sweeten the crowd reaction, given how liberally they've been willing to do so on Rampage in the past?

He’s turning, the tiger driver being used is there for when he breaks and pedigrees an opponent. They are playing into everything, things like no comments only antagonises people. It’s a slow burn, but it’s coming