Other AEW shows discussion (Dark, Elevation, BTE, whatever else)

LaGoosh

I just watched the whole match as well - to be honest I think she decided to heel it up a bit because the crowd were chanting for the (I presume local talent) jobber.  She let Jody Threat get quite a bit of offence in at the start and it was good until that clothesline.  Then, yeah - she hit her properly in the face three times.

The worst bit for me was the suplex to the outside - I expected her to hang her over the ropes, and I suspect Threat did too.

But I've seen worse!

I like Athena but she's short and a bit tubby and doesn't really have a gimmick in AEW.  Like Soho I'm sure she expected to be champ by now but she's not shown a reason for that.

Toni Storm I agree has settled in better, plus the AEW fanbase is SUPER thirsty so she will sell tickets and merch.

• Paid Members

Athena, like Ruby Soho, is a pointless signing like most of the NXT people they've signed up. Why bother paying higher salary to no-hopers like these when you can develop your own talent who have tons more potential - Willow Nightingale is worth 5 Athena's for example.

I know Vince McMhon had a terrible record with NXT call-ups but to be honest I think he was right about most of them being shit and not worth the effort.

• Paid Members

Really fun match on Dark between QT Marshall and Dante Martin. Mostly bringing it up just to comment on the turnaround QT Marshall has had now he's not over-exposed on Dynamite every week. He's an absolutely perfect pre-show/Dark wrestler who can constantly show his arse and lose to rising stars yet he's good enough in-ring that it doesn't look like they're beating a complete joke.

I know he gets battered on here alot but I think in his current role he's fantastic.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tsurutagun said:

After watching the Athena match a piece of advice for some on here. Don't watch some of the Perry Saturn vs Mike Bell match. You might wet yourself when you see that lol

Because it's happened before and/or worse, does that make it ok? It's 2022, shit like that shouldn't happen anymore. Bell Vs Saturn was in 2001, 21 years ago.

13 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Because it's happened before and/or worse, does that make it ok? It's 2022, shit like that shouldn't happen anymore. Bell Vs Saturn was in 2001, 21 years ago.

My point is, was it "snug"? yes

Is it weird that it's happening on AEW Velocity? Yes

Was I wrong to compare to Saturn? Yes. It's more like Shibata thinking about it. 

But the OTT reaction to this has made me laugh. Read on twitter that the other person was fine with the physicality. 

Feels we have a bunch of Helen Lovejoys on here

Reckless, sloppy, dangerous, indy-riffic. Sure. If it was a Dark/Elevation taping anywhere other than Toronto where Jody Threat is a hometown favourite it never would have played out the way it did.

Still think the worst spot in the match was the full pelt spear into the corner when she almost throws herself out the ring.

As Daddy Magic would say "Here's a taste." Her pinned tweet highlight reel.

1 hour ago, Tsurutagun said:

Read on twitter that the other person was fine with the physicality. 

Yeah, hometown jobbers hoping for a big break are often very vocal about being treated physically rough on a show by a company they are trying to impress. 

• Paid Members

Athena is so fundamentally unlikeable as a babyface. I've never been able to get past it. She can do some cool stuff in the ring but I've never been able to get behind here in any feud she's had. The face she does here at around 15 seconds made me want Jade to whup her ass, which is not the reaction they were going for. 

Edited by JLM

5 hours ago, JLM said:

Athena is so fundamentally unlikeable as a babyface. I've never been able to get past it. She can do some cool stuff in the ring but I've never been able to get behind here in any feud she's had. The face she does here at around 15 seconds made me want Jade to whup her ass, which is not the reaction they were going for. 

State of her. Shades of Ronnie Garvin blocking Valentine's figure 4. Someone post the gif