Other AEW shows discussion (Dark, Elevation, BTE, whatever else)

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

More fantastic jobber killing from Athena this week. Great example of how even your standard 2 minute jobber match doesn't have to be the same thing every time, thought it was a really fun twist to have her accidentally kill the jobber too early. The way  her eyes lit up and she swooped in to take over "helping" as the jobber started to stir post-match was hilarious. Five stars. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, JLM said:

More fantastic jobber killing from Athena this week. Great example of how even your standard 2 minute jobber match doesn't have to be the same thing every time, thought it was a really fun twist to have her accidentally kill the jobber too early. The way she her eyes lit up and she swooped in to take over "helping" as the jobber started to stir post-match was hilarious. Five stars. 

The way she sold Emi Sakura's finisher afterwards was a thing of beauty too.

• Paid Members

Lee Moriarity and Big Bill are turning into a fun little tag team, even if they don't look like a team and their double team finish is absolute rubbish. With some tweaks there could be something decent with these two together.

8 hours ago, JLM said:

More fantastic jobber killing from Athena this week. Great example of how even your standard 2 minute jobber match doesn't have to be the same thing every time, thought it was a really fun twist to have her accidentally kill the jobber too early. The way she her eyes lit up and she swooped in to take over "helping" as the jobber started to stir post-match was hilarious. Five stars. 

I don't understand at all why Tony Khan is choosing to focus on Soho and Storm, as far as ex-WWE female wrestlers go, when Athena has upped her game in the way she has. It's a bit of a waste to relegate her to ROH and Dark/Elevation. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I don't understand at all why Tony Khan is choosing to focus on Soho and Storm, as far as ex-WWE female wrestlers go, when Athena has upped her game in the way she has. It's a bit of a waste to relegate her to ROH and Dark/Elevation. 

It pisses me off to no end. Saraya being just the absolute worst on Dynamite every week while Athena gives us gold on Dark.

Athena vs Hayter for the title is what should be holding the entire division together. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Say what you want about QT Marshall, 

I don't like him getting involved with the likes of Cody Rhodes and Wardlow/Hobbs because he looks horribly out of place, but when he's doing his 'gatekeeper of Dark' role and showing arse for up and coming babyfaces, he's genuinely one of my favourite people on the roster.

It's a bit of an odd comparison to make but he reminds me of the Usos around 2016/2017 when their main role was PPV Kick-Off matches. There's a real skill to being the kind of wrestler who can get a crowd hyped up and buzzing before the PPV/Dyno starts without overdoing it and QT Marshall nails it. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Nick James said:

Say what you want about QT Marshall, but this is smooth as fuck.

Cool move but I also really hate it when someone who's supposed to be a sneaky, slimy annoying bad guy does a big spectacular move as a finish. You're supposed to be after boos not getting yourself over.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

👍 Orange Cassidy/Dralistico - A few years in now and I still love Orange’s Cassidy’s schtick - it’s all daft as a brush and I love it. This International title run is a great opportunity for him to have longer matches and establish himself as more of a threat, yet still retaining all of the comedy gold he can provide. Bang up for him defending his title in singles matches against all of the HOB contingent as well. Match itself here was great, only minor criticism would be a couple of contrived spots like the dive into the pile of eagerly waiting bodies on the outside. Otherwise, an enjoyable romp. 

👍 Bang up for the forthcoming chicanery of Mark Briscoe and the ‘has he?/has he not?’ dynamic of joining Lethal and co. Also good to see Cowboy Double J back - thought for a horrible moment his run might’ve been over and that would have been very upsetting. 

👍 TBS title - First half wasn’t great and there were a few mistakes, but the match did improve as it went along so I've gone with a tentative thumbs up. There were times where I thought the execution was lacking, but unlike the Jay/Hart match on Rampage, there was a little more intensity and effort here. Starkz at 18 is an exciting prospect - a little green but bags of energy and didn’t look too out of place. One to watch and a potential star in the making with the right guidance. Please just don't let JR talk about her on commentary ever, because it's rather creepy and it gives me the willies. 

👍 ROH tag titles - Slow burner that picked up nicely down the stretch. The very end of the match saw the champions in genuine jeopardy because of the shithousery going on outside the ring and even though the Lucha Bros literally won the titles a week ago, I actually did temporarily buy their potential demise here, even if it was only for a brief moment. QT Marshall is growing on me as a shithouse heel. 

👎 Cutler/Nakazawa cutting a promo with cringeworthy acting and hilarious ‘intensity’. Bin. 

Overall - Another solid hour of wrestling funsies. 

• Paid Members

OC had another good singles defense against Dralistico. I think Cassidy is probably one of the best in the world right now. He's just quietly having great matches every week with a range of opponents making each match feel both unique but also like an Orange Cassidy match. Him and Darby are both masters at this. Love him, long may his reign continue.