Other AEW shows discussion (Dark, Elevation, BTE, whatever else)

LaGoosh

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Emi Sakura vs Billie Starkz on Dark this week is a low-key cracker, if you can put up with the terrible AEW Universal atmosphere.

Dak Draper vs Brady Booker (???) might be the weirdest match AEW have ever booked in terms of 'heres two people with no introduction having a wrestling match'.

You're burying the lede here, which is a fun little Jeff Jarrett/Satnam Singh v jobbers match.  Sober Jarrett is just so great to watch nowadays, and there's a lovely spot where Singh basketball bounces one of the boys on the mat.  He's still super green and clumsy, but he's got potential!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Another great Jarrett/Satnum/Lethal squash and a fantastic OC/Danhausen vs Workhorsemen match on Dark this week are very worth watching.

A hot crowd too! I hope these new ROH/Dark tapings can keep the energy levels up as the previous AEW Universal atmosphere was like a graveyard.

• Paid Members

Been working through backlog of Dark and Elevation episodes and Athena has been outstanding. I have always been massively critical of her promos and character work and found her to be one of the least likeable babyfaces I've seen. As a heel though she's been magic. All of her trash talk and exaggerated facials works so much better as a villain. The more violent and vicious ring style, little dickhead moves like pretending to be injured and throwing up the X. It's not just a case of a failed babyface turning heel out of desperation, it seems that brutalising that poor jobber has led her to her calling as a performer. 

• Paid Members

Two really great squashes from Big Bill and Lance Archer on Dark again. Love these two. A fun little Willow Nightingale squash with top notch Athena shithousery afterwards.

And in a real highlight they had a jobber called Jake Cartwheel whose gimmick is that he does loads of cartwheels. 10/10.

• Paid Members

I don't give AEW's jobber game enough credit. Terry Yaki is a top tier jobber name. Then you've got Man Scout and local dad Dan Adams. And Action Andretti is the one the claw chose. What a world. 

Oh also there was a six woman tag the other week where Shafir, Rose and Diamante were wrecking the jobbers and one of them fled! Simply ran off  and left during the match when offered the tag. Fantastic. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Merzbow said:

It's a crime that JD Drake wasn't made into a bigger deal, he's such a good hard hitting fat lad in a time when they are rare as hell. Not sure why he left The Wingmen either.

Drake is a fantastic wrestler, just needs to drop his tag partner and find the right gimmick. Hopefully he does because I'd love him on the main shows as a full timer. But he does suffer from looking like a loveable big baby-man despite wrestling like a total killer.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

It's a crime that JD Drake wasn't made into a bigger deal, he's such a good hard hitting fat lad in a time when they are rare as hell. Not sure why he left The Wingmen either.

I'm sure I read that his knees are knackered, which might explain why they haven't done more with him. You can see at times he looks like he would collapse if it wasn't for his knee braces.

• 3 weeks later...