Other AEW shows discussion (Dark, Elevation, BTE, whatever else)

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

I had two main takes from Battle of the Belts 3. The first is that Jamie Hayter is the female division's equivalent of Ricky Starks, where anyone with eyes and a sense for this business knows she's the next big thing if they ever decide to pull the trigger. The second is that I don't care what storylines are ongoing or where the natural progression of things might lead. They should just call an audible and make the PPV match Bryan Danielson vs. Konosuke Takeshita. You don't need any type of build up. Just put them on first and let them have the greatest opener of all time.

• Paid Members

I watched last week's Dynamite at the weekend, and am just after watching last Friday's Rampage, and I hadn't the foggiest that there was a battle of the belts show this past weekend. I take it absolutely nothing of note happened on it? 

Such a waste of what could be a useful concept. 

A question about FITE for this week's Dynamite (don't want to go into the thread). Anyone else that's watched it, does it just open up randomly in the middle of the coffin match? I usually watch  on a Saturday from the ITV version these days, because FITE is a bit of a nightmare for me at times, this week again much the same. I was hoping to watch this week's early, but I guess this is showing why I cancelled the sub for next month. 

• Awards Moderator
9 hours ago, WeeAl said:

I watched last week's Dynamite at the weekend, and am just after watching last Friday's Rampage, and I hadn't the foggiest that there was a battle of the belts show this past weekend. I take it absolutely nothing of note happened on it? 

Such a waste of what could be a useful concept. 

A question about FITE for this week's Dynamite (don't want to go into the thread). Anyone else that's watched it, does it just open up randomly in the middle of the coffin match? I usually watch  on a Saturday from the ITV version these days, because FITE is a bit of a nightmare for me at times, this week again much the same. I was hoping to watch this week's early, but I guess this is showing why I cancelled the sub for next month. 

There was an issue with the live stream in America apparently so the English feed missed the beginning. @Hannibal Scorchtells us the Spanish version starts at the beginning if you want to see it all!

19 hours ago, WeeAl said:

Battle of The Belts was fun but nothing of worth is missed if you skipped it. 

Pure filler programing.

On 8/11/2022 at 10:01 PM, WeeAl said:

I also watched Dynamite and Rampage and had no idea there was an additional show that weekend. Usually AEW are all over hyping it up.

• Paid Members
On 8/12/2022 at 7:38 AM, HarmonicGenerator said:

There was an issue with the live stream in America apparently so the English feed missed the beginning. @Hannibal Scorchtells us the Spanish version starts at the beginning if you want to see it all!

Watched the Spanish version for the first five or six minutes, which allowed me to see just what in the hell happened to Brodie King that left him leaving puddles of flesh and plasma all over the place. 

19 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Battle of The Belts was fun but nothing of worth is missed if you skipped it. 

Pure filler programing

It really wouldn't be difficult to put something worthwhile on these shows, considering the amount of titles they have in play. Just two matches, with some build up videos and promos before each, but always featuring a blow off or prominent match in a feud for whichever belt. Not 'Champion Vs random scrub of the week, with no rhyme nor reason'.

It's a shame as it feels like a wasted opportunity. I think they'll regret it come TV renegotiation time, with Warner-Discovery massively cutting costs everywhere. 

17 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

It really wouldn't be difficult to put something worthwhile on these shows, considering the amount of titles they have in play. Just two matches, with some build up videos and promos before each, but always featuring a blow off or prominent match in a feud for whichever belt. Not 'Champion Vs random scrub of the week, with no rhyme nor reason'.

It's a shame as it feels like a wasted opportunity. I think they'll regret it come TV renegotiation time, with Warner-Discovery massively cutting costs everywhere. 

Bread and butter is Dynamite and Rampage. 4 shows a year where TNT aren't bothered about covering the costs to make them live or more than one hour isn't that big a loss.

They were a nice idea when all AEW had was two hours of TV.

What's going to be a bigger boon to AEW is keeping Dynamite and Rampages ratings up or at least consistent, and any of these reality TV show ideas they've floated gaining some traction.

On 8/11/2022 at 10:01 PM, WeeAl said:

My mate said it did that for him when he watched on Thursday, but it had been sorted by the time I watched around lunchtime yesterday. They only seem to have left in a couple of the ad breaks during the second hour as well, which is always a bonus. I’ve never understood why they leave 3 to 4 minutes of the logo in if watching OnDemand. Live obviously speaks for itself, but get that shit trimmed down immediately afterwards

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Worth watching Battle of The Belts 3 for the Claudio \ Takeshita main event. The outcome was never in doubt, obviously, but it's a great watch all the same. Thought Hayter looked terrific in her match against Rosa ... though it did nothing for Thunder Rosa, she's absolutely terrible. She sells like somebody doing a parody of a pro-wrestler, rather than like somebody trying to react in a way natural for the thing that's just been done to them. Her constant punching of the ground and facial expressions are the worst.

rosa.PNG.540387a51bdb814e7f2e4e26da512921.PNG

Edited by Chunk

2 hours ago, Chunk said:

Thought Hayter looked terrific in her match against Rosa ... though it did nothing for Thunder Rosa, she's absolutely terrible. She sells like somebody doing a parody of a pro-wrestler, rather than like somebody trying to react in a way natural for the thing that's just been done to them. Her constant punching of the ground and facial expressions are the worst.

Has she always been this rubbish? I never really saw her much pre-AEW but plenty of people seemed to hype her up. I don't know what's happened but it's like that belt saps talent from whoever holds it.

I really like Thunder Rosa but I can understand the criticism.  She looked great in NWA but then the rest of their division is pretty terrible.   She's a natural babyface and so she should work in AEW but apart from against DMD she's not really worked.  At one point they were booking her to come out and cut promos without the makeup on... she's not a great long promo and she looks odd without makeup!

I think it'd help if they kept it simple.  She should have a manager, wrestle singles matches where she takes a beatdown and then a big comeback.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, mim731 said:

This was another tremendous episode. Much like with the Regal episode, I like that you can tell Taz is having a great time.

I can't believe it all led up to the punchline. But what a great episode, especially when Taz cracks

The annoying thing about the Thunder Rosa run, and Hangman's run. Is we've got another Moxley title reign that shows you can easily book a babyface champion. All the while sticking to infamous rankings system.

Mox has had a couple of title eliminator matches against Takeshita and Warner. RUSH popped up out of nowhere as a challenger. Brody King win the Royal Rampage. Similar happened in his first title reign where a bunch of random challengers popped up.

For Rosa's title reign they could easily hide away some of the title contenders they want to save for PPVs/big shows in tags. Then give Emi Sakura or an Abadon a winning streak on Dark/Elevation. Then give Rosa the dominant win on Rampage. Where the taped show can hide some of the weaknesses in those match ups.