Other AEW shows discussion (Dark, Elevation, BTE, whatever else)

LaGoosh

30 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Dark will be a bit different tomorrow.

The All-Atlantic Match between PAC & Shota Umino (Revpro) and a Women's World Title Eliminator between Thunder Rosa & Miyu Yamashita (Stardom) will be aired.

It’s from this weekends TJPW show not Stardom.

• Paid Members

Loved the two international matches on Dark this week. One of the better outings I've seen from Thunder Rosa despite a little bit of miscommunication at the beginning. Yamashita is such a great seller, incredibly sympathetic. Has a bit of a Bret Hart vibe where the outcome feels extremely important to her and you can feel her struggle. 

Pac and Umino was fantastic too. Pac has done such an incredible job of fleshing out his act in every conceivable way. I think he has a lot of parallels with Ricochet. I was of the opinion for a while that Ricohet was massively under-utilised and should be a star because he's such a spectacular athlete. Him and Pac have done a lot of the same things and I remember both of them working for Dragon Gate when I was watching them full time. Pac has improved immeasurably since then in all aspects and Ricochet really hasn't. Pac has learned to work heel, he's improved his physical charisma and character work, he has learned to work a variety of styles depending on the opponent or heel/face dynamic. A lot of wrestlers would attempt to coast off being able to do something as jaw-dropping as the Black Arrow and bust that out for the easy pop every match. He is way past that now and that move has more value too as we don't always get to see it. 

Also love how the RevPro crowd has taken to Shota Umino. He really looks like he'll be a star, he has everything going for him. So good for him to wrestle in front of these rowdy crowds when the Japanese ones are still so restricted, and he seems to be having a blast doing it. 

I watch Dark and Elevation anyway as it has a bit of an old NXT feel to it for me. I also love jobber matches more than is healthy. Also Taz and Excalibur's double act slays me. But this episode was a cut above any of the previous ones for sure. 

Edited by JLM

I don’t usually bother with Dark or Elevation, and why would you when you’ve got Rohit Rahul v Baron Black in an “All the Stars Are Here!” Match, but I wanted to see PAC v Umino.

The match itself was fine but I had to turn the volume down due to Excalibur & Taz having to be constantly yapping away to drown out the RevPro crowd, who on this night seemed to be one of those “must chant something at all times” type of crowds.

The ring also seemed to have a serious case of the wibbly-wobblies, almost as if it hadn’t been secured in place properly

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Ah we have very different takes on the crowd. They were doing a fair bit of singing, but I didn’t think it was a crowd trying to get themselves over or chanting unrelated indywankisms to the detriment of the match. Also thought PAC did a good job of getting them to root for Umino over him. Hard not to root for Umino too, he’s a great fiery underdog.

They were into the match and they were vocal, I thought it came across as a pretty great atmosphere. 

I’ve definitely cringed at overly smarky crowds at Indy shows many a time, but this didn’t feel like that at all to me. Sounded like people enjoying the show and being excited to be there, which I like to hear.

Just to add I love Taz and Excalibur and they are the funniest team that don't detract on the action for ages. Taz is Taz, but to me as the Dark announcer he's full on Prime Time era Heenan with more added rambling and references to his rubbish legal team and Joey Numbers (his Miss Betty) Taz in AEW is the best Taz since I saw him murdering folk on Bravo. 

Edited by Chili

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

JD Drake's a really underrated talent.

Agreed! I've read that his knees are totally shot, and you can kind of tell in the way he shuffles about, but he's real good and is perfect in this sort of scenario.

Only thing that bugged me about the match was that he swiveled 180 degrees to change position on the cover after hitting a moonsault, I assume so the 'hard cam' got to film his reaction better.

It's the sort of thing a lot of wrestlers do these days and I really irks me because you've landed in a fucking pinning position, you know? 

That aside, real fun little match.