Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
7 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Just look how packed in that crowd is. Ringside seats actually being close to the ring, fantastic stuff

I hate how spaced out the crowds are now. I assume it's for fire safety reasons or whatever but the huge gaps is so boring. I want fans piled on top of eachother. 

Posted
26 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I hate how spaced out the crowds are now. I assume it's for fire safety reasons or whatever but the huge gaps is so boring. I want fans piled on top of eachother. 

Yeah I’d imagine it’s all to do with crowd safety measures, which I totally do understand.

Want a crowd that’s packed in? Check out ECW Guilty As Charged 2001 at the Hammerstein Ballroom. Listed as 2,500 but they are absolutely packed in there like sardines in the standing sections there is no way they weren’t above capacity 

Posted
4 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

 But can you fucking imagine the tantrums Shawn would’ve thrown throughout 98 and 99 with Austin hogging the top spot? I suspect him and Triple Paul would know they couldn’t fuck with Austin at that point and they’d have gone all in on sabotaging The Rock instead. But it would’ve been quite amusing to see Shawn and his big nosed bag carrier, after finally getting Bret out of the way, only to then be taking Stunners from Austin every week anyway. 

I was listening to SCG Radio and Liam mentioned that in late 99, when Shawn was the referee for Rock Vs Triple H, and Shawn super kicked Rock, that it was supposed to lead to an Austin and Rock Vs Shawn and Triple H feud. But Austin and Rock said no thanks, because they really did not want to work with him. Seems that they both had that much sway that Shawn wasn't even back on TV for another 6 months after that. 

Interesting timing that when Shawn came back in 2002, Austin and Rock were pretty much done on a full time basis.

  • Paid Members
Posted

When The Rock was doing the odd big match as a part-timer, they pitched Rock vs. Michaels for a Wrestlemania or a Summerslam, and Rock always immediately shot it down. So any time when it could have happened, Rock wanted no part of it - now he was the megastar, he wasn't going to give the rub to Shawn.

If Shawn had stuck around through the Attitude Era, I suspect he would have had more clout to hold The Rock back, and it's just a question of how undeniable Rock was as a talent - it might have ended up like Austin, where Shawn and Bret spent so long fighting over who the top guy was and it just never mattered in the end because Stone Cold was going to be that guy no matter what. Triple H is the more interesting question to me - does he never break out as an upper card guy if Michaels is still around, or do they Kliq up, keep things relatively insular, and feud with each other, building Trips up while keeping Shawn busy enough that he's not interfering with the main event too much?

Posted

What were Vince's feelings about HBK around this time though? Watching back, you can hear (and see, through some hilarious attempts at trying to make him relatable, Jose) how desperate Vince is to get and keep HBK over as a babyface despite all of Shawn's issues and in-ring volatility. The back injury arguably forced his hand and he HAD to go with someone else, and at that time, there really was no one aside from Austin. But looking at Vince's treatment of HBK before and after, as well as the fact that for all their snotty rebellious attitude, HBK and Trips were the members of the Kliq who never left home, surely there was the chance that DX would have been an obstacle at the top for a few years more.

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

If Shawn had stuck around through the Attitude Era, I suspect he would have had more clout to hold The Rock back, and it's just a question of how undeniable Rock was as a talent - it might have ended up like Austin, where Shawn and Bret spent so long fighting over who the top guy was and it just never mattered in the end because Stone Cold was going to be that guy no matter what. Triple H is the more interesting question to me - does he never break out as an upper card guy if Michaels is still around, or do they Kliq up, keep things relatively insular, and feud with each other, building Trips up while keeping Shawn busy enough that he's not interfering with the main event too much?

I recall at the time, clear as day, the rumour mill sites had buzz that Shawn was lobbying for Hunter to be added to the main of Mania 15. Ludicrous then, never mind in retrospect.

  • Paid Members
Posted
17 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah I love the old MSG set-up with the short aisle and the entrance way directly opposite the hard camera throughout the show.

In other news, what’s going on here?

IMG-0851.jpg

 

Scott Ryan - IMDb

Posted
17 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah I love the old MSG set-up with the short aisle and the entrance way directly opposite the hard camera throughout the show.

In other news, what’s going on here?

IMG-0851.jpg

 

I thought for a second that was Barry Darsow doing his Blacktop Bully gimmick for a moment! 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Teddy Long? More like Teddy Wide.

IMG-3125.jpg

I always forget he had a chunky phase and whenever that fat face pops up it’s like I’m discovering it all over again. Ol’ Theodore was tucking in playa. 

Posted

It's crazy how long Teddy stuck around in WCW doing absolutely fuck all of note.  I never hear of him having any major backstage role at the time so god knows why they felt it was worth keeping him around to manage the likes of Jim Powers and Bobby Walker on the C shows.  Or why the WWF picked him up up to be a (terrible) referee in the Attitude Era.  The guy stole a living for a good 15 years before finally landing the GM slot that sort of worked for him. 

Posted

After Johnny B Badd punched him out to turn face and end their connection, he pretty much turned face after too and was doing PR and community stuff until they'd figure him back in and have him manage some guys.

Posted

It’s a pleasant Sunday and unnecessary shots are being fired at The Godfather Theodore R Long. Since he was the manager of the legendary Doom, ol’ peanut head more than earned the right to coast through the 90s.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, CTXRussomark said:

It's crazy how long Teddy stuck around in WCW doing absolutely fuck all of note.  I never hear of him having any major backstage role at the time so god knows why they felt it was worth keeping him around to manage the likes of Jim Powers and Bobby Walker on the C shows.  Or why the WWF picked him up up to be a (terrible) referee in the Attitude Era.  The guy stole a living for a good 15 years before finally landing the GM slot that sort of worked for him. 

You've completely erased his brief spell as the mouthpiece for Rodney Mack from your mind then. Can't say I blame you.

Actually to be fair that could easily fall under the "stealing a living" heading.

Edited by Fog Dude
Stacy Coldicott
Posted

Because of that picture I went down a little Ice Train rabbit hole. Two things I learnt:

1) His original theme music really was crap. 

2) In May of 1999, he signed a 3 year contract for 150k per year the first year, and then followed by 200k and 250k, all for pissing about as MI Smooth. Crazy money. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Did Bobby Eaton invent the RKO/Diamond Cutter and the Olympic/Angle Slam? 

bvB9b.gif

bvB9x.gif

And Tommy Dreamer had the cheek to call himself the “Innovator Of Violence”? Bobby was out there creating finishers for future wrestlers who hadn’t even debuted yet. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...