Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

I liked the Iron Man Match, but in a pretty specific way - it felt more 'real' than most, and actually felt like a contest between two guys I liked. I think it could have been more exciting, I think it could have been better, but it was different in a way that I'm glad happened (even if I'm glad it only happened once). It was slow but, for me, it felt more like they were both pacing for lasting 60 minutes rather than rushing. 

I think there have been better Iron Man Matches (the Brock/Angle one was one I was particularly fond of), but I'm still fond of this one. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

That’s my issue with it, I guess. The stipulation itself wasn’t the real problem.* There’s so many ways you could create drama and suspense with that type of match, we’ve seen it a bunch of times before and since 96. And I get them having to pace themselves at points. You can’t go full pelt for 60 minutes straight. But having it be a 60 minute stalemate was about the worst way they could’ve done it for me. Even if they’d had Bret go 1-0 up after 25-30 minutes you at least would’ve had more of a story to it, with Bret playing defence and it looking like the old ‘boyhood dream’ was up in smoke, then Shawn evens it up near the end. You could still go into overtime with them at 1-1 but at least shit happened in the first fucking hour. But then again, I guess they didn’t wanna have Shawn eat a pinfall or submission in the very match they were anointing him champ. Which I get as well, but then don’t book a sodding Ironman match then. *I guess the stipulation was my problem after all. 

We were robbed of an all time great 25 minute prime Bret vs prime Shawn match (as WrestleMania headliner to boot!) because someone got a hard on about proving they could do a WWF version of Flair vs Steamboat. 

Edited by wandshogun09
Posted

The Powerslam review of that match put me off trying New Japan or Japanese wrestling in general when Fin said it felt like a match from there. I assumed from that it would be all groundwork and chinlocks, was amazed when I actually bought some AJPW stuff in late 98 wasnt so keen on NJPW around that time from what I seen though tbf

  • Paid Members
Posted

For a man who is so right about almost everything else, there’s no greater Chinny Reckon than Bret describing the Iron Man match as one of his best. It’s easily one of his very, very worst.

Bret’s a big hockey guy, isn’t he? Can’t imagine him ever going to watch a shoot sport like hockey and hoping for a 0-0 draw. Yet in the creation of their worked match, where they could simulate whatever score they wanted, that’s what they decided on. Dreadful decision.

I always assumed it was political, with neither guy wanting to eat any more losses than was absolutely necessary. Just a shame that in protecting themselves it resulted in everyone watching having to suffer.

I’ve never watched The Rock/Hunter or Brock/Angle matches back, but I certainly remember them being far more dramatic and exciting for actually having some fucking scores on the board.

Bret and Shawn have that same, crazy, anti-chemistry as Okada and Danielson. Two of the very best, who you assume would have instant classics, but for whatever reason always ended up cancelling each other out. Miraculous mega-workers with almost everyone else. Crushingly disappointing whenever they’re paired together.

Ultimately, the only good thing about the Mania 12 Iron Man match is how it can now be used to check if the Ball Knowers actually know what they’re talking about. If anyone pretends the Iron Man match is any good, you can safely place any further opinions directly in the bin. With tears in my eyes.

 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Yeah I always took Bret’s positivity about the match as more him being satisfied that they were able to go an hour and plan the timing of everything out and stuff. He also likes to talk about how he felt like the WWF were deliberately trying to run him into the ground before that match, having him wrestle big lumps Diesel and Taker every night while Shawn got to “just go home and train for the match”. He thought they wanted him to look old and knackered in the match so Shawn would look like the superior athlete. I always felt like he was overthinking it and looking for conspiracies but then you watch those training vignettes and they’re going all Rocky IV in the Shawn ones with him running the steps and doing upside down sit-ups. Then they go to Bret and he’s gingerly jogging along snowy pavements, clearly cacking himself that he’s gonna slip and land straight on his Bischoff. Maybe there’s something to it. But yeah, I think he looks back fondly on it because he was able to prove he could do it and stick it to the real (or imaginary) doubters he had (or didn’t) backstage. Like how whenever he talks about the Wembley match with Bulldog, he seems to love the match more because they were able to overcome Bulldog’s crack smoking nearly fucking it up and the fact that he saved it than just because it was a great match.

It’s the only explanation I can think of for why Bret rates the Ironman match so much. Personal pride because of the challenge that type of match brings, with a dash of proving Vince or whoever wrong. Because purely as a fan watching at home, it’s the unseasoned grilled chicken breast of wrestling matches. The base for something potentially great is right there, but there’s zero sizzle or spice to it at all. Bret vs Shawn was a waste of a perfectly good chicken breast. Even as a 10 year old at the time who gobbled up whatever the WWF fed me, and I was buzzing for that particular match going in, I was massively disappointed. 

Edited by wandshogun09
Posted
8 hours ago, BomberPat said:

The match was about proving a point, and the WWF planting their flag on the fact that they had two guys who could do a "proper wrestling" main event, after years of your Flairs and Steamboats being the ones that were spoken of in hushed tones for going sixty minutes. It went 0-0 because they never worked it as an Iron Man Match, it was only ever worked as a sixty minute regular match, but the stipulation was on there to prepare the audience that it would go the full hour.

First time I've ever heard this. Is this your theory or something Bret or someone else has said? Because it sounds completely implausable that in March of 1996, with Hogan in full swing with his Wrestle crap buddies for the competition, that Vince would give two shits about proving they could do wrestling like old timers such as Flair and Steamboat.

Posted

It’s sadly overshadowed by the finish for obvious reasons, but their Montreal match is a fantastic match and the best match between the two with the brawling and heat and atmosphere. It’s a shame it will only be remembered for the ending.

The Wrestlemania match wasn’t just incredibly boring but so was the build. I don’t want to see Bret jogging in the mountains or Shawn doing push ups with his creepy uncle Jose, it’s the WWF, I want to see Sgt Slaughter flushing some pukamaniac’s head down the bog to antagonize the Hulkster.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Just pissing about on Twitter and saw that clip that does the rounds every few months of Austin at the Hall Of Fame, saying he had “a can of Whoop Ass with Hulk Hogan’s name on it” and the camera immediately cuts to Hulk with a face like thunder (and not in paradise this time).

My favourite bit of it though, that I never see anyone talk about, is Mean Gene’s little round headed shit stirring face reacting to it. Cracks me up every time. Look at the little bastard.

”Oooooh! Wouldn’t stand for that Tez”.

bqp9a.gif

Posted

“Now wait just a minute gentlemen…” Classic Mean Gene, one of the generation who was always working and couldn’t switch off the carnival barker voice. Love his reaction to Austin, instinctively working an angle, a pro’s pro.

You can tell how smugly chuffed to be seated next to the big man, forever loyal to our Terry like a sniveling Baldric.

Posted

Is that a real screen grab? If so, its phenomenal that in one moment they have captured every character by their facial feature.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...