Talk Is Jericho... Or Is It Just a Conspiracy?

wordsfromlee

4 hours ago, garynysmon said:

For fuck sakes Mam, I've told you to stop embarassing me.

Gary I’ve fucking died at this post. My girlfriend keeps asking me why I’m stifling laughter, and I can’t tell her it’s the wrestling forum again.

On 1/8/2021 at 9:29 PM, Supremo said:

Daniel Bryan’s sheer delight at AJ Styles’ stupidity remains one of my favourite moments. His delivery of, “the Earth is a sphere,” is a thing of beauty.

Talking Smack was so great for moments like this.

I don't think I've ever seen this before but god that is amazing. AJ's initial reaction is weak that it's beggers belief he didn't combust from the embarrassment. Bryan has absolutely no time for it it.

• Paid Members

The last few pages of this thread have cheered me right up as there's something endearing about the fact that the (majority) of the good folks here sincerely try to explain things to absolute numpties and remain reasonably civil whilst doing so. 

It's something that events of the last week have shown is badly needed. Social media and podcasting in particular, has enabled a very small, ignorant and intellectually unremarkable minority to find traction for their nonsensical, factually incorrect beliefs/political standpoints. They never ever develop a reasonable argument or are able to evidence said position because the echo chambers they exist in are never challenged until it's too late. Then, when they are eventually challenged, they resort to "well I'm right it's my opinion" statements or in extreme cases, mindless violence. These platforms should require a minimum proof threshold before the output can be accessed by the general public.

I know that's totally impractical because the horse has already bolted but there is a massive difference between Jericho and guests debating/discussing something and talking bollocks/spreading misinformation, deliberate or otherwise. 

In wrestling terms, he's in my top 10 all time. In everything else terms, he's one of these people that think opinions are fact and that's good enough for him. 

Edited by Suplex Sinner
Additional info

• Paid Members

Pretty restrained by Corny, all considered!

You're completely right @Suplex Sinner. It speaks volumes how even the 'mainstream' right wing outlets, such as Fox, have shied away from Trump's bollocks over recent weeks (although sadly not most of their commentators). This has just led to the these nutjobs deciding that Fox are now traitors to the cause, resulting in them just searching out even more right wing outlets such as Newsmax.

That's what worries me most about social media, everyone (and I'd include aspects of the left in this too) is just looking for outlets that will confirm their pre-existing bias. No one likes to admit they were wrong or were duped in any way, so I foresee that most will just dig their heels in rather than concede they'd gone too far.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, garynysmon said:

That's what worries me most about social media, everyone (and I'd include aspects of the left in this too) is just looking for outlets that will confirm their pre-existing bias.

100% and even acknowledging there are elements of the left that are equally as culpable is enough to send some people into meltdown and that's why we're in this tinderbox situation. It won't take much more for wider spread violence to break out. 

Society seems to have settled on extreme, radical left narrative being more acceptable than the right but no-one is taking a step back and acknowledging that it's still on the extremes. That just fans the flames because competing dialogue is now going further to try and out-radical the radical and it doesn't bode well. 

Good old fashioned policy debates, working together are dead. You can't debate anything now because discussions are framed in "I'm right and you're wrong" and political parties are going the same way. Partially driven by partisan media but the media have reacted to and are now reflective of social media trends where the lunatics on each side go to reinforce their beliefs. You don't turn on CNN or FOX for news, you turn them on to see just what skulduggery the other side has been up to since you last looked. There's very few places, if any, where facts are reported and discussed objectively. 

There's also very few people in prominent positions with the self awareness and strength to actually engage in debate or admit things could be done better. So again that means their own views and only their views can be accepted. I lived in Russia for many years, studied it, speak the language and I have always thought "at least we're better than this, at least we have some objectivity and balance" in our media and political system. But now we don't. There's very little accountability, very little fact checking and when there is, in the case of the current government, they just carry on because they're in charge and we're in a situation now where it's happened so often it's become normalised. It's not a pleasant or particularly optimistic environment and it will get worse before it gets better. 

Edited by Suplex Sinner
Spelling

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Society seems to have settled on extreme, radical left narrative being more acceptable than the right but no-one is taking a step back and acknowledging that it's still on the extremes. That just fans the flames because competing dialogue is now going further to try and out-radical the radical and it doesn't bode well. 

The rest of your post is great, but I have trouble with this "both sides" narrative, because, in the world I've seen over the past few years, it's been the right that's dominated, and what people dismiss as "far left/extreme left" doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

What gets labelled as "far left" is ridiculous these days. Corbyn wasn't a particularly great leader, and it's fine to judge him on that criterion alone, but Labour's manifesto under him was not particularly "far left" - it was barely in line with the policies Harold Wilson espoused as Prime Minister in the 60s and 70s. It's not like we saw the resurgence of the Communist Party or the Spartacist League - in fact, if you were to ask those guys, they'd tell you Corbyn and Labour in general are sell-outs. Hell, people even less hardline than them will tell you that.

If we're talking about the US, that's even more applicable, because Biden is nowhere near a left-winger. In real political terms, the Democrats are closer to the Tories of Thatcher and Major than they are to Labour.

I would genuinely like to know what the left have done in recent years that is so radical and extreme, because I'm struggling to understand. 

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Absolutely right. The far left has absolutely no public representation or real voice in the mainstream of American or British politics or media. 

No one in the House of Commons, or writing in the pages of a British newspaper, is arguing from a Marxist perspective. No one in American politics is arguing for international Communism, or for emancipation of the proletariat. No one in either political sphere is arguing with any ideological consistency for any kind of meaningful collective action. The only even halfway "radical" proposition to pick up any currency in recent years is "defund the police", and neither of the nominally "left" parties in either country have committed to that position. 

There is absolutely no far-left, let alone "radical" left presence in politics in the Anglosphere. That the "far left" are being blamed for anything of substance when America is governed by a Republican president openly courting the far right, and when the UK has been under a decade of uninterrupted Tory rule, is preposterous. 

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

The rest of your post is great, but I have trouble with this "both sides" narrative, because, in the world I've seen over the past few years, it's been the right that's dominated, and what people dismiss as "far left/extreme left" doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

What gets labelled as "far left" is ridiculous these days. Corbyn wasn't a particularly great leader, and it's fine to judge him on that criterion alone, but Labour's manifesto under him was not particularly "far left" - it was barely in line with the policies Harold Wilson espoused as Prime Minister in the 60s and 70s. It's not like we saw the resurgence of the Communist Party or the Spartacist League - in fact, if you were to ask those guys, they'd tell you Corbyn and Labour in general are sell-outs. Hell, people even less hardline than them will tell you that.

If we're talking about the US, that's even more applicable, because Biden is nowhere near a left-winger. In real political terms, the Democrats are closer to the Tories of Thatcher and Major than they are to Labour.

I would genuinely like to know what the left have done in recent years that is so radical and extreme, because I'm struggling to understand. 

I was actually thinking about this after posting it and had a look at some of the policies here and in the US and I take your point, most of them aren't that extreme. In terms of what they have done that is radical and extreme, I should have emphasised that they have engaged just as much in the shouting match, writing off sensible arguments if they are not exactly aligned with their own position. Whether this is just out of necessity or they have as little regard for reason as the right is up for debate. The extremes on the left are as culpable for pushing one sided viewpoints as we have seen this week with their coverage of the riots. Last week was unacceptable, an attack on democracy, the protests over the summer that saw looting, violence and multiple deaths over the summer were portrayed as acceptable by media, politicians and public on that side. The truth is both are unacceptable, both were extremes, both were encourage by extremes within political parties and both had backing from mainstream media, which circles back to my earlier point that the justifications are framed in "one is right and one is wrong." If people can't (or won't) acknowledge that such extremes are so wrong then we will continue in dangerous territory. Reading the Trump thread, I agree with the sentiment that this handover of power is probably the start of more trouble because neither side or their supporters have indicated they're going to be reasonable. 

One was a series of peaceful protests at the murder of an unarmed man by police. It turned into riots after protesters were met with unreasonable levels of state force from the police. The swell of international solidarity and the rise of a grassroots movement show that the issues at play were to do with hundreds of years of systemic racism that has still to be addressed, all while a historically disenfranchised group of people are still disproportionately murdered and incarcerated.
The other was a bunch of entitled fascists storming the seat of US Government, many admitting for the purpose of overthrowing the Government, so they could over turn a legal election that they don't like the result of. All to a minimal police response and international condemnation. 

Yeah same thing...give me strength 🙄

Edited by Brudaker

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

I was actually thinking about this after posting it and had a look at some of the policies here and in the US and I take your point, most of them aren't that extreme. In terms of what they have done that is radical and extreme, I should have emphasised that they have engaged just as much in the shouting match, writing off sensible arguments if they are not exactly aligned with their own position. Whether this is just out of necessity or they have as little regard for reason as the right is up for debate. The extremes on the left are as culpable for pushing one sided viewpoints as we have seen this week with their coverage of the riots. Last week was unacceptable, an attack on democracy, the protests over the summer that saw looting, violence and multiple deaths over the summer were portrayed as acceptable by media, politicians and public on that side. The truth is both are unacceptable, both were extremes, both were encourage by extremes within political parties and both had backing from mainstream media, which circles back to my earlier point that the justifications are framed in "one is right and one is wrong." If people can't (or won't) acknowledge that such extremes are so wrong then we will continue in dangerous territory. Reading the Trump thread, I agree with the sentiment that this handover of power is probably the start of more trouble because neither side or their supporters have indicated they're going to be reasonable. 

I'm sorry, man, but I just can't agree with that. The BLM protests were a reaction by black Americans to a very real, existential threat posed by the police and an establishment that continued to enable the police to violate civil rights and kill with impunity. Whether you believe that the violence (which actually wasn't all that large a part of the protests as a whole, and actually had the majority of peaceful protesters trying to shut it down) was a result of the protesters' direct action, or the result of agents provocateurs from hostile parties infiltrating and de-railing them, their grievances were legitimate, and directly attributable to actual, real-life events. There was no individual or group of people targeted with pre-meditation for death or physical harm.

The attack on the Capitol was a gang of people descending on the US' seat of government with the intent of over-turning a democratic election, and they displayed this intent by assaulting people and setting up a noose outside the building. 

I accept the general point that extremes are wrong, but trust me - if the extreme left ever gained any kind of traction in the US, we'd sure as fuck know about it. BLM are not extreme or far left - it's not extreme or radical to react with protests against a government that's killing your people, and I'd argue that the level of violence displayed thus far is probably indicative of restraint. If black Americans ever decided they'd had absolutely enough, and chose to react with organised, widespread violence to get revenge and not equality, the US would be, difficult as it is to believe, in even more of a state than it is now.

EDIT: @Brudaker summed it up better.

Edited by Carbomb