Talk Is Jericho... Or Is It Just a Conspiracy?

wordsfromlee

For me, his run from late 2016 until now has featured some of my all time favourite things in wrestling. The list, Festival of Friendship, showing up in New Japan (that sensational press conference turned brawl with Kenny!) and pretty much his entire AEW stuff to date... it's all been great. What stands out to me is that he's not just going out and having good matches but he's got all the bases covered with the matches, promos and angles... even commentary! and just when you start to think he's getting a bit boring, he does something like that perfect Lionsault & shit-eating grin moment on Dynamite the other week that reminds you what a star he can be.

Admittedly, I'm a self confessed Jericho mark so I'm more than a bit biased but I'm loving the guy right now.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, sukhy said:

I had a look online, couldn't find any particular quotes for this, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Listen to him talk about his own career for two minutes. Not that stops at two minutes, ever.

Outside the ring I imagine he's like Barney Stinson from How I met your mother, desperate to make a story out of nothing and every drunken night to be legen....wait for it...dery 

I enjoy his podcast depending of the guest but his mutual masterbation with wrestlers can be sickening at times, and it's gotten worse since joining AEW being desperate to prove hes sooo entertaining and a creative genius.

His recent-ish NJPW return was a genuine great surprise and matches, in AEW I don't mind his dodgy build or look but needs to wrestle to his age and size, a short cut taking brawler with veteran knowledge would be better suited for him and more of a threat to the younger guys 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

You'd be wrong. I imagine most wrestlers are republican.

Yeah. A lot of people in America still see rasslin' as a Southern state thing and they're all American Tories down there, and it continues to run through the business.

10 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

My favourite wrestler of all time. When I first discovered wrestling in 2000 as a 10 year old, he was the coolest bastard in the world to me and that perception has never gone away. There's never been anybody better for me in managing to excel at both in-ring work, character, and generally just seeming like a cool guy to hang out with in real life. I adore the guy. (although I've never seen AEW, but from what I gather the criticism is "he got fat" - so? The guy's body can't stay 30 years old forever).

Out of interest if he's your favourite wrestler of all time, what's the reason behind not watching AEW?

2 hours ago, air_raid said:

Listen to him talk about his own career for two minutes. Not that stops at two minutes, ever.

But isn't that just standard wrestler talk? Overstating their influence and popularity?

To be fair, only a handful of wrestlers have crossed over into being household names, Austin, Rock, Cena, Hogan, Flair

The rest are big in the wrestling bubble, Jericho, Triple H, Shawn, Orton, Big Show etc.

And Jericho is more important to the wrestling business than the rest of those guys in the wrestling bubble, so I can understand him tooting his own to try and stand out from the pack. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

@air_raid's use of "I belt/title" is worse than being a Trump fan. 

Why? Intercontinental is one word. It’s not Inter Continental, so I refuse to type IC title.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, gmoney said:

You might want to talk to your GP practitioner. 

Huh? GP is an abbreviation of two words, so makes sense. IC is clunky to me.

Triple H and HBK for all their faults and detractors over the years. were proper main eventers who had sustained runs on top with the top lads. Jericho was an upper mid carder who'd occasionally get a sniff of the main event every once in a while in the non important months (saving for his disastrous undisputed title run) so even comparing him to them is ridiculous, never mind claiming he's more important than them. Even Jericho's most memorable run & feud in WWE in recent years (with Owens) was demoted from a potential Mania title match to just another match sandwiched on the show.'

All his well hyped big returns were flops too (the first and most hyped 'Save us Y2J' return was dead once Jericho walked out with the haircut of a menopausal woman in his sparkly jacket and cut a crap comedy promo on Orton.) A lot different than the reaction to HHH's 'Beautfiul Day' hyped return a few years prior.