Talk Is Jericho... Or Is It Just a Conspiracy?

wordsfromlee

I know carnys will always have an excuse, but those venues must seriously hurt Jericho's ego - to whom Fozzy are a touring arena band and played to 100,000 people at Download. Because when you play a festival, you can of course cite its max attendance cap as the audience who came to see you. 

32 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I know carnys will always have an excuse, but those venues must seriously hurt Jericho's ego - to whom Fozzy are a touring arena band and played to 100,000 people at Download. Because when you play a festival, you can of course cite its max attendance cap as the audience who came to see you. 

They’ve always played shit-tips like those though, even in America they don’t play anywhere above the dive-bar circuit. If anything those venues are a step up from Welly in Hull and Grimsby’s Yardbirds. 
Rich Ward, the band’s lead guitarist and who has an extensive career with Stuck Mojo has even had to tell Jericho “I’ve been doing this longer than you, you don’t have to play every shit-hole that offers you a gig”.

Fozzy are not an all conquering arena band, and Jericho is well aware of that because as you said he’s a carny. The Manchester venue has a capacity of 650, he knows full well that even if they don’t fill the place, he can get enough wrestling fans (because there are no fans of Fozzy alone) to come and see him pretend to be a rockstar to make it financially viable, especially if you can trick a few marks into buying VIP Packages

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

He's playing the same venues as Oasis tribute Acts and The Lancashire Hotpots who are probably all piling into one car and sleeping in their own beds after the gig. There's no doubt he's clearing a lot more money than them, although it screams 'break even tour', but imagine flying half way across the world to play those venues. 

It’s a paid holiday with a few mates away from the wife and kids. If he can throw thousands at any just giving that comes up, he’s not in it for the money. He can fill bigger venues just doing q&a’s ( his ITR Glasgow show was at the abc which had twice the capacity of the garage). Jericho gets a lotta attacks for his ego, but the fozzy stuff just feels like a golf weekend with his mates than any big ego or money move. 

• Paid Members

Club Academy? That's the one formerly known as Academy 3. I can't remember whether that's the basement or the attic room, but it's minute. I've been in bigger bathrooms, Christ. The Hotpots are playing a triple bill with Black Lace and the Wurzels in December in the actual Academy. Imagine not being sure whether you'll able to sell as many tickets as Black Lace and the Wurzels... 

23 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Club Academy? That's the one formerly known as Academy 3. I can't remember whether that's the basement or the attic room, but it's minute.

According to the Academy’s wiki the main Academy has a 2,600 capacity, Academy 2 is 950 and on the first floor, Academy 3 (formally known as The Hop & Grape) holds 470 and on the second floor and Club Academy is in the basement and holds 650.
Either way, small venue for a small band

Edited by WyattSheepMask

4 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

especially if you can trick a few marks into buying VIP Packages

This caught my eye. Just wondering how it's a trick? Isn't it the same kind of deal that other bands offer to fans with these packages? See the soundcheck and experience a "behind the scenes" pre-gig show, photo with the band, autographs, early chance to buy merch without having to elbow past all the sweaty neckbeards and so forth?

Or is there something I'm not seeing here?

Just now, Merzbow said:

There's no trick but I guess on your perceived value of what you're getting you might side-eye it all. From what I've seen of these VIP deals I'd personally say they're way overpriced.

But aren't they for the uber fan types? I mean, no matter which gigs I've been to I always see those VIP deals sell out very quickly, so I guess someone is seeing some value in it.

Would I pay to watch Jericho warm up and get a photo? Probably not. Would I pay $200 to have Varg Vikernes berate me for being an absolute embarrassment of a white European while signing the box for his weird tabletop fantasy role playing game?  Possibly.

3 minutes ago, David said:

But aren't they for the uber fan types? I mean, no matter which gigs I've been to I always see those VIP deals sell out very quickly, so I guess someone is seeing some value in it.

Would I pay to watch Jericho warm up and get a photo? Probably not. Would I pay $200 to have Varg Vikernes berate me for being an absolute embarrassment of a white European while signing the box for his weird tabletop fantasy role playing game?  Possibly.

I mean.. that was kind of my point. Personal value and all that, I could have just worded it better.

Edited by Merzbow

Just now, Merzbow said:

I mean.. that was kind of my point. Personal value and all that.

Yeah, my point is that they're not overpriced. This one is overpriced because I don't like Fozzy. But if it's someone I like, I'd happily pay $200.