Talk Is Jericho... Or Is It Just a Conspiracy?

wordsfromlee

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Would you call the Television Title the T Title?

I wouldn’t, TV being a commonly used mainstream abbreviation for the entirety of my life, so I just accept it. But don’t get me started on DNA.

Jericho is just incredibly entertaining. I always remember his character more than specific matches (bar the standouts which he was capable of pulling out)

As a character he's been able to reinvent himself and get stuff over that in lesser hands would have just flopped. He's even made being flabby and a dickhead work in AEW.

22 hours ago, air_raid said:

IC is clunky to me.

😂😂😂

'I' being used so commonly in English language as it's own separate or individual word makes yours very unpleasant to read and disrupts the sentence flow somewhat. If IC is too clunky for you, why shorten it at all? As you have, why not Undisputed to 'U'? Because it's not a commonly used abbreviation relevant to the subject matter and familiar to the reader, perhaps? Yeah, neither is 'I' title. 

On 2/7/2021 at 2:25 PM, The Cutting Edge said:

Surely Jericho can't be considered more important to wrestling that HHH or HBK?

I'd say to the wrestling business as a whole, Jericho is more important now, especially after carrying the AEW main event scene on his back for the first year. 

On 2/7/2021 at 4:48 PM, DCW said:

Triple H and HBK for all their faults and detractors over the years. were proper main eventers who had sustained runs on top with the top lads. Jericho was an upper mid carder who'd occasionally get a sniff of the main event every once in a while in the non important months (saving for his disastrous undisputed title run) so even comparing him to them is ridiculous, never mind claiming he's more important than them. Even Jericho's most memorable run & feud in WWE in recent years (with Owens) was demoted from a potential Mania title match to just another match sandwiched on the show.'

All his well hyped big returns were flops too (the first and most hyped 'Save us Y2J' return was dead once Jericho walked out with the haircut of a menopausal woman in his sparkly jacket and cut a crap comedy promo on Orton.) A lot different than the reaction to HHH's 'Beautfiul Day' hyped return a few years prior.

To be fair, Triple Hs great return as a baby face in 2002 ended up with him turning heel a few months later, because he can't be taken seriously as a face. 

28 minutes ago, sukhy said:

I'd say to the wrestling business as a whole, Jericho is more important now, especially after carrying the AEW main event scene on his back for the first year. 

With the greatest respect in the world, this is a crazy suggestion. I’m not sure what argument you could make in which you could suggest Jericho is more important to wrestling than Triple H.

Triple H and NXT’s influence is obvious right across the WWE main event scene, and you could make a very solid argument to say that NXT Takeovers essentially acted as a proof of concept, that the knock-on effect of NXT led to the formation of AEW. 

While I’m sure there are wrestlers who are and we’re inspired by Jericho, I’d struggle to point to a Jericho match that has had a lasting impact on the industry. HBK’s epic Wrestlemania matches have almost certainly inspired the multiple-false-finish style we see today. Jericho is a very, very good wrestler and yeah, his influence in AEW has been very valuable indeed, but in the grand scheme of things I think you’re significantly overstating his importance to wrestling.

Edited by RedRooster

Triple H being hard to take seriously as a face is an odd take, as well. Setting aside that age old argument on whether someone in his position can be considered a draw or not, or what his perceived star worth is spitting distance outside the confines of WWE's media empire, he's had plenty of memorable runs as a face. 

He was on the brink in 2000 against Angle before they dug their heels in to feed him to Austin's boring revenge arc. The feud with Jericho was the pits but his return at the 'Garden was a real highlight. It might have been critically panned by online fans but the DX reunion in 2006 was brilliantly teased and must obviously have done good house and merch numbers considering how often they brought it back. There's a little gem of being Smackdown champ in there as well where he really cooled down on his perceived legacy and epicness, and just started having fun. 

I daresay he's been better off playing to dem and being a smart ass face for the better part of fifteen years than he has stinking up the screen doing his drawn out authority figure/Conan the Barbarian shite. Proper great heel from 2000-2005. "Playing a bad guy on TV" after that. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, sukhy said:

This wildly overstates the importance of AEW to the wrestling business.

I think HHH has said he always preferred playing heel so I'd assume that's why he went back to it in 2002, I'd have like to have since his 02 face run go longer and see him as top face of Raw instead of heel.

Jericho has been good for AEW and I'm sure is helpful backstage but he can't be compared on importance compared to HHH who runs the biggest wrestling companies developmental, shows, characters etc and will probably take over Vince as head of the company, he's been a solid main event hand so he's more like Randy Orton than anyone else

No idea what HBK role is in NXT but his importance can't be denied even if it's not always favoured

Edited by The Cutting Edge

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

This wildly overstates the importance of AEW to the wrestling business.

You’re probably right, but I do think the introduction and continued success of AEW is one of the best things to happen to the wrestlers themselves in decades. When complete scrubs like Mike Bennett, Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson can now make half a million plus per year? There’s definitely an argument that a lot of guys in the industry owe Chris Jericho a drink. Fair play if they don’t want to sit and drink it with him though and have to listen to the bullshit he spouts.

Edited by Supremo

Im glad I was never a Jericho fan. It sucks when your favourites turn out to be such horrible twats.

Im glad Bret’s most egregious behaviour seems to be snorting coke off women’s tits behind his wife’s back and spending 20 years complaining about everything except how great he is. A saint in comparison to many of my old heroes.

My first favourite when I started watching (first event was summerslam 90) was Kerry Von Erich. Been watching some stuff on the network and god damn he was a cool motherfucker. That cool music, the robe, hair, body, Arnold face, tornado punch. Cool as fuck. And then.....

Edited by Yakashi